Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Got to shoot the Top secret XDM-factor yesterday

bonedust

Springfield a small meet-n-greet at a competing range (grrrr) in town yesterday to do a dealer intro fro their newest gun, the XDM-factor 40cal. from what they said, the XD line is going to remain, but a second tier of guns are going to be available with a ton of upgrades. We got to see, handle, and shoot the .40...which is scheduled to ship to dealers that attended this meeting later this month.

some new features:

-16 round .40 clip

-new grip texturing

-new slide shape and cocking slots

-swappable backstraps (3 sizes included)

-re-contoured grip for EXCELLENT trigger reach

-new mag ejection button/mechanism

-match grade barrel

range report (having only shot 4 clips):

I was SUPER impressed. the gun was very well balanced and weighted, and it seemed to just lock into your hand when you pick it up. the gun is solid and sucks up recoil like no other .40 ive ever shot. Quarter sized groups at 25' were no problem for the more experienced shooters.the trigger pull is smooth as glass.

ill certainly own one.

Sounds like another great Springfield offering. They're a fine USPSA sponsor and supporter.

Also too, just for clarity and consistency the term clip is not used to define magazines. :)

Thanks for the information.

Jim M

They're a fine USPSA sponsor and supporter.

Springfield regularly initiates contact with the Area Championships each year to offer a couple of guns as a sponsorship.

They were even nice to us folks stuck behind enemy lines in MA. Springfield handguns aren't on the lab tested or target list, nor have they passed double secret probation (regulations no one can understand and the state will not interpret), so we can't offer them as prizes. Springfield solved the problem by donating an M1A to the match.

Too bad Glock doesn't make rifles - I'm sure they would have done the same thing. (Glocks are lab tested, but have not passed double secret probation and therefore cannot be sold new in MA).

Thanks for the report! Springfield has certainly been a rock-solid supporter of USPSA over the years. Their double-stack limited gun has probably won more Limited titles than the STI/SV and their single stack guns are popular in, well, Single Stack. Their XD has also shown itself to be a worthy competitor - particularly in Production division. These new versions will only enhance the XD's suitability for the sports and for defense.

the trigger reset was MUCH shorter. much...

the mag drops were smooth and fast. its one of the main points they brag about improving in the Latham training video they showed. the sights were slightly different over the standard XD, but not ground breaking by any means.

Not to drift the thread much, but ......

I can go out right now, today, and test drive almost any car made today and get nearly unlimited attention from the dealer regarding my potential purchase.

With firearms is a whole different story. They can be hard to find, and rarely can they be "test driven" on the range. Dealers give buyers little attention. Instead we rely on internet feedback snipets and limited handling over the counter at gun dealer.

I'd be willing to drive hundreds of miles and pay $ to try out a bunch of open pistols (or production) IPSC style, but unfortunately no such event exists to my knowledge. I'm considering open, but have never even held an open pistol.

Just seems things should be easier when compared to other purchase evaluations. Hell I cant even get into the shot show without industry creds....... gun makers/ marketers sure could use a little more innovation in relating to end consumer of their product.

BB

BlackBuzzard,

Such an event exists, it is called a match. If you explain to your fellow shooters that you would like to try out their gun as you are interested in purchasing one, I think virtually all USPSA shooters would be happy to let you try theirs out. To be polite I'd offer to pay for the ammo, but I doubt many would take you up on it. I've yet to meet a shooter who isn't willing to talk at length about the pros and cons of their outfit.

Springfield a small meet-n-greet at a competing range (grrrr) in town yesterday to do a dealer intro fro their newest gun, the XDM-factor 40cal. from what they said, the XD line is going to remain, but a second tier of guns are going to be available with a ton of upgrades. We got to see, handle, and shoot the .40...which is scheduled to ship to dealers that attended this meeting later this month.

some new features:

-16 round .40 clip

-new grip texturing

-new slide shape and cocking slots

-swappable backstraps (3 sizes included)

-re-contoured grip for EXCELLENT trigger reach

-new mag ejection button/mechanism

-match grade barrel

range report (having only shot 4 clips):

I was SUPER impressed. the gun was very well balanced and weighted, and it seemed to just lock into your hand when you pick it up. the gun is solid and sucks up recoil like no other .40 ive ever shot. Quarter sized groups at 25' were no problem for the more experienced shooters.the trigger pull is smooth as glass.

ill certainly own one.

When will it be available to the general public?

BlackBuzzard...I'm sure if your local club has a practice night the same would apply as far as checking different guns out. Might even be easier because there is no match pressure then.

Richard

I hope the sights a better - they seem so from the pictures on the XD-M I mean.

Edited by chirpy

Such an event exists, it is called a match. If you explain to your fellow shooters that you would like to try out their gun as you are interested in purchasing one, I think virtually all USPSA shooters would be happy to let you try theirs out. To be polite I'd offer to pay for the ammo, but I doubt many would take you up on it. I've yet to meet a shooter who isn't willing to talk at length about the pros and cons of their outfit.

thats like asking someone you barely know if you could test drive his car. but dont worry ill pay for the gas. feels wierd.

You don't have to do it your first day at a new club, feels less weird if you know your fellow shooters. Most shooters are salt of the earth, they understand the difficulty in deciding on a platform (XD or Glock, 6" vs 5") and would be happy to help. If you're shy or feel it would be socially inappropriate to ask to try out someone's pistol, you could just start dropping hints, "Is that the new Bedell/Brazos/Hill /etc. Craterblaster XL200? Wow! I've always wanted to try one of those, but there is no thirty day free trial period! What shall I do? My life has been a perfect graveyard of buried hopes and now I guess I shall die never having fired a single round through the fabled Craterblaster! I guess I'll take up Croquet out of the bitterness of my dissappointment..."

Sorry for the thread drift.

the trigger reset was MUCH shorter. much...

the mag drops were smooth and fast. its one of the main points they brag about improving in the Latham training video they showed.

Cool. Do they have that vid posted somewhere?

Ill be getting one in a week. :) being an FFL has its perks :)

that would be a surprise, unless you attended the shoot. the Springfield reps made it clear that the gun wasnt shipping till LATE in the month...which probably means early next month. they also said that the dealers who attended the shoots got first allocation. and the currant warehoused stock would cover that initial allocation. but, who knows....could all be talk.

the grip saftey is still in place, which is a good thing imo.

Edited by bonedust

Cool. Do they have that vid posted somewhere?.

no, they are trying to keep everything regarding this gun under wraps until dealers actually have them in stock. then the adds, reviews, videos will be released. for once, the dealers are being given a heads up!!!

Edited by bonedust

"Is that the new Bedell/Brazos/Hill /etc. Craterblaster XL200? Wow! I've always wanted to try one of those, but there is no thirty day free trial period! What shall I do? My life has been a perfect graveyard of buried hopes and now I guess I shall die never having fired a single round through the fabled Craterblaster! I guess I'll take up Croquet out of the bitterness of my dissappointment..."

Geez, what a guilt trip. I don't even know you but I feel like buying one of these new Springfields just so you can give it a try.

Bill :(

"Is that the new Bedell/Brazos/Hill /etc. Craterblaster XL200? Wow! I've always wanted to try one of those, but there is no thirty day free trial period! What shall I do? My life has been a perfect graveyard of buried hopes and now I guess I shall die never having fired a single round through the fabled Craterblaster! I guess I'll take up Croquet out of the bitterness of my dissappointment..."

Geez, what a guilt trip. I don't even know you but I feel like buying one of these new Springfields just so you can give it a try.

Bill :(

Bill,

I'm pretty sure that was sarcasm in response to someone else's reluctance to ask.....

.....I know in my circles, we're always happy to let someone take a look, shoot a few rounds, or loan someone a gun and gear to try for a match. I've done that and supplied ammo to boot --- and kept someone from buying a Glock in the process.....

I'm always willing to let somebody borrow a screw gun....or hammer...or let them grab the other end of a couple of walls that need carried to the shooting bay....or target stands...steel...etc.

Sharing the work load...instant way to make buddies.

Ill be getting one in a week. :) being an FFL has its perks :)

that would be a surprise, unless you attended the shoot. the Springfield reps made it clear that the gun wasnt shipping till LATE in the month...which probably means early next month. they also said that the dealers who attended the shoots got first allocation. and the currant warehoused stock would cover that initial allocation. but, who knows....could all be talk.

the grip saftey is still in place, which is a good thing imo.

I was a bit off on my statement, May 19th I will have it through my distributor, no price yet though. So a bit longer that a week almost two I guess. :)