Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Use Small Rifle Primers In .40 S&w?

Newguy

Newguy,

Depending on your load and bullet weight, some combinations can build high pressures that make standard pistol primers flow into the firing pin hole in the breechface. When that happens you basically have two choices: (1) Find a slower powder or different combination that feels good and operates at a lower pressure ... or (2) switch to Small Rifle primers that are able to withstand the higher pressure without flowing.

With most brands of primers, the primary difference is the primer cup thickness to withstand more pressure.

I would stick with pistol primers for as long as you can. If you are not experiencing a problem, they will give you a warning when pressures get pretty high. Rifle primers can hide pressure signs until they are very high.

Good Shooting,

Leo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm just curious what the difference between the two are. Many people have told me to use small rifle primers in my SV .40 Limited gun. I've been using the small pistol primers so far and a few guys at my range said not to load them any hotter and to switch over to rifle primers. What are the differences? I would think the rifle primers would be a bit more powerful and help burn the powder better. Is this true? What about recoil? Will there be more with the rifle primers? Any info regarding this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

While the exact composition of the priming compound changes from brand to brand, the main rifle/pistol difference is the thickness of the cup. Rifle primers have a thicker cup that can handle higher pressures before they deform and start causing problems. They also take hgher pressures before they start showing you that you are producing high pressure. You can continue to use pistol primers until you start to see the pressure signs and then you can either seek another load or change to rifle primers.

I would reduce the load some before changing any components.

Leo

If I understand correctly the "charge" is the same for small pistol or small rifle. The reason some prefer rifle in pistol loads is that the cup (the part the pin hits) is harder in the rifle primer and resists the primer flowing back into the firing pin hole and causing a malfuction at elevated pressures. My opinon is if your not showing any pressure signs with pistol primers and your making PF I wouldn't worry about it. I also use pistol primers with 180 grn bullets and titiegroup powder and show noe pressure signs at 170 pf.

I would avoid using small rifle, (SR) primers when they are not needed. I have seen many breach faces get ruined by flame cutting because the harder cup of the SR primer did not seal well and leaked high pressure gases past the primer cup.

According to CCI, the small rifle primers have a longer flame pattern that is necessary to ignite powder in a rifle case that is usually longer and contains more powder than a pistol case. I had unburned powder with N330 and the rifle primers completely burned all of the powder. I was able to use .2g less powder with the same load to make PF. If you want to avoid small rifle primers, then try small pistol magnum primers. Magnum primers have a longer flame pattern as well. When trying a different primer, start 10% lower. Magnum and small rifle primers positively will generate higher pressure and greater velocity over small pistol primers. CAUTION... is necessary when working up a new load with these two primers.

small rifle primers positively will generate higher pressure and greater velocity over small pistol primers

My experience contradicts that, using WSP and WSR in 9x19 Minor and .40S&W Major. No measurable velocity differences other than the usual round-to-round deviation.