Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What's a used Dillon 1050 go for?

DS12

Hello: Having bought 2 RL1050's in the last year the price is going up on them. It depends on condition and extra goodies you get with it. The ones I have seen sell for 2/3's of the new price. If you are going to load pistol try and find a RL1050. They have a better cam system than the newer super 1050. At least I think so. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

On ebay they seem to go for 80-90% of new price if i was going to buy one i think that i would just buy a new one the extra cost will not be that much and you will be supporting your local shop and no need to worry about if some parts are worn out so you dont need to call dillon and get new ones shipped out

Edited by dastrieg

What's the story behind the change in the cam system? Is the new smaller cam a design improvement or was done for cost reduction?

When they went from the older linkage (Super 1050) to the newer style linkage (Super 1050 B) - it was a design improvement.

When they went from the original RL 1050 (giant "bearing-style" linkage) to the Super 1050, they wanted the Super 1050 to be able to load most rifle calibers, so the new linkage design unfortunately caused the Shellplate to index to quickly, toward the end of the upstroke. Which was a loser for those loading pistol, especially short cases like 9mm. So few years ago the redesigned the linkage to slow down the Shellplate's indexing speed, which made pistol shooters very happy.

For longer rifle cartridges, like 30.06, the slower Shellplate indexing speed would cause the bullet to hang up on the seat die. So today, if you order a 1050 in 30.06, they trim a little off the bottom of the seat die, so the bullet will clear the die before the Shellplate begins to index.

be

I was in the same position a few months back - buy a used one for $1100 or $1200 or buy a new one for $1500 and some change.

I bought mine from Brain because at the time he was throwing in the bullet tray, no sales tax, and no shipping. I feel I came out ahead and know that I got first class service from Brain.

Supprt the local guys when you can, but buy your presses from Brain.

Jerry

I was in the same position a few months back - buy a used one for $1100 or $1200 or buy a new one for $1500 and some change.

I bought mine from Brain because at the time he was throwing in the bullet tray, no sales tax, and no shipping. I feel I came out ahead and know that I got first class service from Brain.

Supprt the local guys when you can, but buy your presses from Brain.

Jerry

When I ordered mine, I about fell out when Brian himself answered the phone!! I got to talk to "The Man" himself!! :surprise:

Edited by Mr. Chitlin