Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cracked 38 Super Slide

lynn jones

i cleaned my gun monday night. while cleaning the slide, i discovered a crack in the slide. this is my #1 gun. i haven't had any issues with reliablity. i have 3 major matches comming up in the next 6 weeks. do you think i can wait until these matches are over to fit a new slide to the gun?

thanks,

lynn

see the attached photo:post-1268-1208275543.jpg

If that crack gets worse while shooting then the entire rear section of the slide could come off the back of the gun at about 100+ mph and smack you right in the head.

:excl: It could kill you :excl:

Time to buy a new slide and get your gunsmith to figure out if there is something wrong with the lock up that created all that stress in the first place.

I wouldn't shoot it.

2006 Area 8 had a guy with a Para who's slide broke and came back with enough force to put some nasty gouges in his face...

this is kinda what i was thinking. :angry:

Lynn,

What kind of slide is it ?? If it is a STI and has not had no machining done on it other than factory they will ( I think ) stand behind it and replace it.

this is a STI slide that has been milled.

time for the back up gun.

If that crack gets worse while shooting then the entire rear section of the slide could come off the back of the gun at about 100+ mph and smack you right in the head.

:excl: It could kill you :excl:

i'll have safety glasses on! :)

I wouldn't shoot it.

2006 Area 8 had a guy with a Para who's slide broke and came back with enough force to put some nasty gouges in his face...

this is kinda what i was thinking. :angry:

Lynn,

What kind of slide is it ?? If it is a STI and has not had no machining done on it other than factory they will ( I think ) stand behind it and replace it.

this is a STI slide that has been milled.

time for the back up gun.

I have cracked 3 slides in 38super, the first had over 170K thru it and would have probably continued but I changed to 340 and 115"s, The faster powder and light bullets after about 30k were more than the slide could handle, It cracked just where yours did. The next one cracked on the other side of the ejection port right at the frame rail, The crack was so small that you couldnt see it untill shooting a match when it would force oil and dirt up thru the crack from the inside. The last one cracked as yours did again with less that 30k. None of these are due to fitting of the barrel or slide. The first 2 slides were from a company that is now out of business and I believe STI bought them, last 1 was a STI slide and they warranted it and remachined it to look like the 1 I sent them. As long as the slide is .100 thick on the top it is good according to STI. Certain powder bullet combinations are harder than others, combine that with low power recoil systems and you are inviting trouble. Sti slides are notorious for cracking when running them hard. I changed over to SVI slides and have had zero trouble since. Regardless of bullet/powder combinations and recoil systems they have worked trouble free. This and other reasons are why I changed over to using SVI only.

I would not shoot the slide any more as it is a safety hazard. If the ro at a stage see's the crack he would probably stop you and call the match director and then you will be in the backup gun for sure. I would just go ahead and practice with the backup this week and shoot it a A6.

Its a pain when it happens as you have to fit a new top to your gun and go thru all the tweaking again to get it right, but the option is potential injury or worse.

Hey my face doesn’t look that bad, it only took 7 stitches to close the hole. It is a good way to develop a flinch though.

Please don’t shoot that slide, its not worth it.

And stop picking on my Para!!!!!!!!!

Caspian :cheers:

I was trying to decide what slide to buy for my Open gun project and one of the smiths I talked with said he's had some problems with Caspian slides lately. I have one on my oldest Open gun and it was fine, but went with an STI for the new gun. R,

Hey my face doesn’t look that bad, it only took 7 stitches to close the hole. It is a good way to develop a flinch though.

Please don’t shoot that slide, its not worth it.

And stop picking on my Para!!!!!!!!!

I played ambalance driver for Ryan, and saw the slide first hand.

Glad to hear you are doing well.

Not worth the potential injury.

I retired a .40 open slide that has a crack. Slide is cheaper than an ER visit

Alan

Edited by Alan Meek

Had a crack exactly like that one a couple years back.......the difference is that I not notice by me it right to the bottom of the slide....the slide was then one-sided :) and of course the gun jam pretty good during a big match...it felt like the recoil master had broken....so I hand cycle the gun for the few last rounds in the stage.......

Big surprise when I strip the gun after that stage......when to the back up plan to finish the match (1 stage)

I wouldn't shoot it.