Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HEAVY lead in 40

HSMITH

Hmmm. Have 1000 rounds of D&J 200 grain lead I've been hauling around for years, from when I loaded them up with Clays to 175+ pf back in the mid 90's. Guess I'll dig em out and try em again, what the heck.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I myself shoot a .45 and use 230gr RN to exclusion of all others. The guy that do my casting for me uses 255 gr SWC in his 45 and swears by it. The guy that works on my gun warned me saying that the 255`s will accelerate wear on the gun, especially on the locking lugs. He is of the belief that anything over 230 id pushing a 1911 type beyond its design parameters of the 1911 type.

BTW, I only shoot lead after getting bumped to minor at the first Nationals of the year(169.9999PF)

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently shooting 200gr precision bullets over VV N320 4.0gr. I'm now curious to try the 220grain. But I've been unable to find S & S Casting anywhere. I went through all the bullet vendors that I could find on USPSA and couldn't find any 220 grain bullets. Can anyone help me out here?

Thanks,

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Here's a little info I came up with using the SNS 220 cast bullet. I fired these from my 6" gun with STI barrel. Chrono is a cheap Shooting Chrony.

Winchester primers used with mixed once-fired cases.

220 Cast--Five shot strings OAL 1.195"

5.3 AA#7

Hi 816.1

Lo 803.4

Avg 810.4

PF 178.2

3.6 WSF

Hi 744.2

Lo 717.5

Avg 731.3

PF 160.8

4.6 AA#5

Hi 788.5

Lo 751

Avg 771.16

PF 169.6

All three loads seem pretty consistent. No signs of pressure.

Yes, and they are categorically terrible, worst bullets I have EVER used.

Yikes! Can you tell us how you really feel?

Well, I can't disagree with you, since I have not tried these bullets since they became "Xtreme". But I am sad to hear that the quality seems to have gone down hill.

Xtreme was once known as "West Coast (TMJ'd) Bullets." The quality and properties were similar to Ranier and Berry's TMJ'd bullets. All three of these TMJs usually worked well, but if fast powders & certain guns were used, there were occasional tumbling problems (titegroup & glocks made the problem appear - but I also experienced it with Clays in .45).

Generally though, I had good luck with the old West Coasts - especially in 9mm. Sad to hear that the new owners appear to have dropped the ball so to speak.

Back to heavy lead 40s: I have an old box of 220 grain lead 40s from D&J bullet. I believe they now ONLY sell to MidWay. MAYBE some one could call D&J and see if they still have the molds & would be willing to cast these again?

I guess I should mention 1 concearn i do have with Solo 1000. I bumped my load up to , I think 4.7, and I started to notice that the spent primer was starting to look odd. Not really flat, but it almost removed the firing pin dent, kinda weird. I am shooting about 4.2- 4,3 now, with a 1.175 oal. Does this sound like a pressure sign to you? The primer borders were almost perfect. I think a 4.1 was a 165 PF exactly, so I have left it at that, for club matches.

I was seeing this in some of my higher pf end rounds when I was testing S1000 in 9mm. It's the beginning of pressure sign. I think it has to do with the burning properties of the powder. It seems to spike a higher pressure a fraction later than what we are typically used to seeing in the fast powders. So, the pressure starting to get high shows in the primer strike vs flattening and flowing out the edges. You will see this in some of the .38 super comp loads and a lot of the 9mm major loads. If you are not seeing the primer totally flatten, you are probably still good, but I wouldn't go any higher. 4.7gr seems fairly high though if you are hitting 165pf at 4.1gr. I would expect to see pressure signs at a .6gr increase in that fast a powder.

HSMITH, give the S1000 and WST loads a try if smoke is bad. The are cosistantly the best with lead and moly/poly rounds.

Might I throw out another load for consideration........ :ph34r: ...Now, some will say dont do this, it is dangerous....cant be done......whatever...

200 lfp 1.180 OAL 3.7gr International Clays....yes, International Clays.....Softest load I have found, reasonably accurate, and I know guys that have shot 10s of thousands of these loads with no ill effects with no Kaboomee......Try it at your own risk, but it works fine with newbies and getting them over the hump if you will.

I am currently smitten with 180 lfp with Solo 1000.........WOW what a nice load....I think about 4.8 at 1.200......Good stuff and even Sunday in the heat and humidity I didnt see much if any smoke. Good stuff.....

See ya,

DougC

Hmmm. This is an interesting topic. I still have a bunch of my old Lightning Bullets 220 and 200 grn LFPs on hand. The problem is that they are just to hard to push at these velocities. They need to be run faster in order to prevent leading at the throat. Still, I may play with them for local matches...if anything.

I have run 200g FP Precision black bullets (5000) and find them soft shooting, too. After looking at videos of me shooting, I see that there is no difference in major 185 LFP @ 175 PF and the 200's at 172. Recoil looks the same on the video. I have almost "0" muzzle flip/rise.

I bought 10k or so of Jim's 140's for steel and love them. I'm sure I could play with the loading on them and get a better steel load, but I like using my major powder (N-320) and not changing the settings. I just pop whatever bullet I need on the case and crank the handle.

I also bought 20K of his 175 LSWC bullets, but haven't loaded any yet. I'll start chronographing them pretty soon.

Some chrono results from this morning:

Shooting Chrony

Ten ft. from muzzle (mas o menos)

75 degrees. Clear sunny day

6.0 STI longslide

220 SNS cast

Speer once-fired brass

Winchester small pistol

OAL 1.195"

4.6gr AA#5

Five rounds chrono'ed

Hi 777.0

Lo 755.1

Av 765.8

ES 21.8

SD 8.5

PF 168.4

Accuracy is good but not outstanding. It's pretty dadgummed soft, though!

I don't want to hijack this topic but while we're on the topic of heavy lead bullets. I shoot 200 grain Precision Black Bullets on 4.0 grains of VV N320 with an OAL of 1.125. Just like Buddy said it's a nice load. But it's leading my barrel in my CZ75B SA after 200 to 300 rounds where accuracy starts to suffer. I'm thinking about going to a FMJ Montana Gold Bullet to prevent this. Does anyone have any ideas?

Dave

Got the sample pack from X-Treme in today's mail. They sent me 20 of the 220's and 40 of their 200's. The 200's are marked as "new profile" and have a rounded ogive. The 220's are more of a truncated cone-type.

A random sampling of ten of the 220's weight an average of about 221 grains. The heaviest is 221 and the lightest is 219.5. Bullet length is .72 and the diameter is .401.

I've get some loaded here over the weekend and see how they do.