Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I am looking for a watch under $500 that is pretty much indestructable. Anyone have good or more importantly bad things to say about them?

Who has the best prices on them?

Timex just keeps on ticking. Sorry just had to.---------------Larry

Don't have first hand knowledge on Luminox, although I understand it's a decent timepiece. I've got a Swiss Army that I've beaten for 15 years and still runs like a champ.

Find what you want and google the model number for those who carry them.

Don't have first hand knowledge on Luminox, although I understand it's a decent timepiece. I've got a Swiss Army that I've beaten for 15 years and still runs like a champ.

Find what you want and google the model number for those who carry them.

I got a Luminox from Cabelas for Christmas last year. I knew I wanted one, and I love mine so far. Lights up really bright in the dark, I think it's even brighter than my previous timex.

I'm on pretty good terms with a Luminox dealer ;)

I started with the first generation plastic version of the "SEAL" watch, moved up to the all stainless model, and then got the titanium one when it came out. Very nice, expecially for $250 (now closer to $300/dealer). Mine has been all over the world, down to close to half its rated depth, and still works fine.

Excellent mid-sized light-weight watch, IMO, and cheaper than an Omega.

H3 also makes some nice watches; I like the ones with blue tritium :D

You can get very close to standard dealer cost on eBay, and under it on used watches :cheers:

Alex

I love my luminox. It is much smaller in profile than many of its competitors which makes it work very nice for me when donning and doffing my fire gear. Any watch like the casios are so big they get caught on the sleeves easily and just become pains in the ass.

I have the all black stealth model and the only thing I have noticed as a weakness is the bracelet design which puts undue stress on the pins and bends them every so often. Never had a problem when using a fabric or rubber type wristband.

Nothing can compete for being able to tell time without haveing to touch the watch in the dark.

Craig

I'm a watch geek....yes, I said it. So, I'm more a fan of mechanical watches, but recognize that quartz has it's place. Right now Suunto watches are among the most common being bought by the special forces community. They're very durable, not terribly expensive and usually have additional features like a compass, altimeter, choronograph, heart-rate monitor, GPS, etc.

www.suunto.com

I love my luminox. I started with a used one. Then I moved to SS. I haven't had it to depth but have snokled for days w/no prob.

I've always been a timex guy...hard to beat for the price. But if you camp, work, play in the dark there is nothing like being able to see the hands...without pushing a button, pre-charging, whatever.

The only bad thing is that you must have a competent jeweler change the batteries to assure the seal. I guess that maybe true of all nice watches...timex guy remember...

ymmv

Bought a luminox at Christmas - and yeah, it's damn bright! Like it so far and haven't managed to break it yet.

Unlike my Suunto's - I broke two in a year. They replaced the first one and I gave up after the 2nd one broke as well. Other folks may have good luck with 'em, and I REALLY liked all the features, but I won't be buying another one. The first one's bezel broke off and the 2nd one just flat out quit working; the display went belly up and then it would work, then die. I replaced the battery and still no joy....

Anyway - I'm very pleased with the Luminox. ;)

Love my Luminox, really glows in the dark. I've been beating mine up for years and use it daily and in matches. What really made me appreciate it is when I took it scuba diving in the Philippines. I got a good deal from ebay.

Battery replacement and general checkup here: http://65.36.176.197/repair_submission.pdf

Bands are cheaper on eBay. For example, a titanium band is $200 (my dealer cost). The whole titanium watch is only $260 :angry2: On eBay, I picked up two for $65/each. Go figure.

IMO, Luminox has great watches but their company is run by idiots who know not what they do. This theory was reinforced by their booth crew at SHOT this year, after being formed by my experiences as a dealer for the last six years. But I still like their watches :ph34r:

Alex

I'm a watch geek....yes, I said it. So, I'm more a fan of mechanical watches,

www.suunto.com

I have a Seiko Dive Watch from 1975. Self winding and it still works. :)

Those Seiko Dive Watches tend to run forever!

I have a Seiko Sportsmatic 5, self-winding, that my father bought new in Saigon in 1965. He managed to survive a year of flying missions with it so I figure it's got to have some luck value at the very least. The guy who serviced it for me said "these old Seiko automatics will run forever". I won't last quite that long, but I think the watch will :cheers:

I have two. A plastic Navy Seal model and a Titanium. I love the titanium model. It is 5 years old and has never had any issues. The strap on the Navy seal model is not very comfortable. It is 8 years old and was subject to a defective case which broke in two. Luminox repaired it at no charge. The date keeping feature no longer functions properly and as a matter of fact it is at their repair center now. My Citizen Aqualand divers watch is 15 years old and except for batteries has never let me down. Because of this I just purchased a Citizen Titanium chronograph eco-drive model. This is my new favorite watch. Not as bright in the dark though, but will never need batteries.

• 4 years later...

Casio G-Shock. Tough as nails. They don't make the one I bought 10 years ago for $59 anymore, but I used to go through watches in less than a year.

Check 'em out here -> G-Shock Unless you just need to spend $500.

:cheers:

make sure you buy from a reputable source.

plenty of cheap knock offs as well as the seikos

I love my luminox. I started with a used one. Then I moved to SS. I haven't had it to depth but have snokled for days w/no prob.

I've always been a timex guy...hard to beat for the price. But if you camp, work, play in the dark there is nothing like being able to see the hands...without pushing a button, pre-charging, whatever.

The only bad thing is that you must have a competent jeweler change the batteries to assure the seal. I guess that maybe true of all nice watches...timex guy remember...

ymmv

I said it then...I'll say it now. Luminox.