Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Need Rx shooting glasses suggestions/help

Dave Gundry

After a Sig Mosquito blew up in my hands today, I am really looking into some more protection. I currently just wear my regular glasses, which have very minimal coverage, or my contacts and a set of Oakley A-wires. But, I'm not a huge fan of my contacts, so I'm looking specifically for Rx sunglasses...

Ideally, I'm looking for an interchangeable lens system, with clear, gray and rose lens options. Needless to say, getting all those lenses with prescriptions would be outrageously expensive (i.e. Oakley). So, that limits me to a Rx insert type system.

The only few I've seen that I like so far are Briko's and Rudy's - I love Briko's, but they are nearly impossible to find here in the states anymore, and Rudy's are way out of my budget (I am flat broke, but I will be spending a bit to get the protection I need).

I have read some folks have problems with Rx inserts and wrap-style lenses - anyone have any input in that matter?

Any other brand options to look at? Anyone have a source for the Briko Klip (Rx) kit?

Can the lenses be made locally if I buy a Rx kit online? Or does the cutter need a template?

Thanks for any help :cheers:

I use the ESS ICE with their Rx insert ...

products_white_63_lg.jpg

I've been really happy with them. The outer shields come in a 3 pack with clear, smoke & amber, and the Rx insert just snaps in behind whichever sheild you're using.

I've used the Bolle Paroles, and have since switched to Rudy's. I think that the Decot give a better optical clarity than an insert frame, wish that they covered the bottom portion better.

The Army issued me Uvex XC glasses and an Rx insert. I find them very satisfactory. I needed to get a bifocal insert for the front sight of my rifle, and ordered a pair of inserts and an extra pair of glasses...less than $30 plus delivery. Highly recommended as a great value.

I've been struggling with contacts for weeks. trying to get the right power to see the front sight as crisp as with my old prescription glasses. I read an article on the decot website that explains it all. My right eye is Farked, won't focus as well close and intermediate. Now I know what direction to take. I'm not close to 40 either, I inherited crap eyes. Bi-farkles here I come.

Thanks for the link to Safevision. The SLIK's look good enough to try. I will go for the inverted bi-focal and give that a whirl. The two powers will only be -.50 different but hopefully it makes a big difference in scores.

I use the ESS ICE with their Rx insert ...

products_white_63_lg.jpg

I've been really happy with them. The outer shields come in a 3 pack with clear, smoke & amber, and the Rx insert just snaps in behind whichever sheild you're using.

+1 on the ESS system. Very comfortable and adjust well.

They are also Mil - spec ballastic rated too. You can also purchase a rose shield as well for about $12.

I switched to Rudy's and love them, but I know you said they were out of your price range... Have you looked into if your insurance will cover anything? My insurance covered a decent portion of the cost for my Rudy's.

My best advice is to quit messing with contacts,, or Rx glasses and get lasik. My only regret after 6 years of perfect vision, is that I didnt do it earlier. It could cost $10,000 and still be well worth it.

M-Frame Rx lenses are around $400/ea though :( That's 2-4 times more than I want to spend for the whole setup.

you can get a Rx insert for the Okleys from Peepers.com I have a set for my M frames that cost $100 and are over five years old. I had reglue the rubber part of the nose pice but the Rx part is great and I can switch the lenzes

Jamie

You have to send them the center nose pice for the glasses and the Rx

My best advice is to quit messing with contacts,, or Rx glasses and get lasik. My only regret after 6 years of perfect vision, is that I didnt do it earlier. It could cost $10,000 and still be well worth it.

That's my long term solution... Maybe my graduation gift to myself next winter :D But, having a slide split apart, chunks of powder and flak hitting me in the face and pieces of brass go flying has me a little worried... my eyes need better protection NOW!

you can get a Rx insert for the Okleys from Peepers.com I have a set for my M frames that cost $100 and are over five years old. I had reglue the rubber part of the nose pice but the Rx part is great and I can switch the lenzes

Jamie

Didn't know that - can't find it on their site, have a link? I thought I remembered M-Frames having an insert back in the day, maybe not though.

That's my long term solution... Maybe my graduation gift to myself next winter :D But, having a slide split apart, chunks of powder and flak hitting me in the face and pieces of brass go flying has me a little worried... my eyes need better protection NOW!

Jamie

Didn't know that - can't find it on their site, have a link? I thought I remembered M-Frames having an insert back in the day, maybe not though.

Did you find Peepers.com? if so send them an email. I can look in my notes if that will help.

JF

• 2 weeks later...

Before you scratch Rudy off your list, I had a pair for over two years, and then took a shot in the face from a 60mph soccer ball. My Rduy's broke, lenses cut me,-not Rudys fault- it was just a bad situation. Stuff was in pieces but the frame was still in good shape. I had a big three gun match coming up so Rudy sent the replacement parts second day air to my eye doc. Went to pick up the stuff, we snapped the new lenses and parts in and I was good to go. What did Rudy send me? New grey lenses, new rose lenses, new insert piece for corrective lenses, and NEW CORRECTIVE LENSES. What was the total cost? $14.95 to cover shipping. That was it!!! Rudy has me for life and I will tell this to anyone that will listen. Their customer service is beyond belief. Thanks Rudy! :bow:

Wow, nice! I ordered up a bunch of Uvex XC stuff, but they were way to big for my face, so I said screw it and ordered up a pair of Rydon's... I like em, but one of the extra pairs of lenses are a bit loose in the frame - I'll have to send them back soon.

Do the Rudy's use a prescription insert behind the lens or is the main lenses RX?

Angel

Before you scratch Rudy off your list, I had a pair for over two years, and then took a shot in the face from a 60mph soccer ball. My Rduy's broke, lenses cut me,-not Rudys fault- it was just a bad situation. Stuff was in pieces but the frame was still in good shape. I had a big three gun match coming up so Rudy sent the replacement parts second day air to my eye doc. Went to pick up the stuff, we snapped the new lenses and parts in and I was good to go. What did Rudy send me? New grey lenses, new rose lenses, new insert piece for corrective lenses, and NEW CORRECTIVE LENSES. What was the total cost? $14.95 to cover shipping. That was it!!! Rudy has me for life and I will tell this to anyone that will listen. Their customer service is beyond belief. Thanks Rudy! :bow:

Kraut,

I used Rudy Rydons for a couple of seasons and loved them. The only problem was that they're a bit tight on the temples for me (big melon). I've since swithced to the Bolle Vigilante, for a little smaller fit you can try the Parole. They come in a four-lens set with the colors you're looking for. The folks at the links provided will also get you the Rx insert.

THEY also sell the TIFOSI line and their STELVIO model uses a Rx insert. They must have one in stock that they brought for me but didn't fit my delicate face.

Good luck!

N

I have a -6rx w/+1.5 for reading, so it's a bit too thick for wrap around glasses unless I get the ones with the inserts (which means 4 surfaces to get dirty/fogged/sweaty/etc.) so I opted for a pair of industrial safety glasses with polycarbonate light darkening lemses and detachable side shields (Wolverine brand). They pass as normal glasses with the shield removed.

I found an optometrist who was experienced in this area, and he recommended a focal point 21" in front of the front sight for my master eye for Limited shooting. That's close enough to allow the front sight to come into clear focus within the limited range of focus I have left, and doesn't mess up my distance vision as much as tuning it exactly to the front sight. The left eye was calibrated to the same distance, and the RX shifted by -.25 to the distance for a bit better "walking around" vision. The combination is great, provides reasonably good distance vision (good enough to pass a driving eyetest), and a comfortable and crisp view of the front sight.