Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Profs that give you your money's worth

Micah

Okay...I'm taking 5 classes at a time to finish up my Masters program...been doing this for a few quarters now. When you take a 710p-1035p class at WSU, it is expected that the professor does NOT drag the class out to 1035. Typically said classes let out around 9.

Not the class that I'm sitting in now :( Apparently getting my money's worth is listening to someone read 3 1/2 hours of Power Point presentations.

Man, I should be dryfiring...

Okay...I'm taking 5 classes at a time to finish up my Masters program...been doing this for a few quarters now. When you take a 710p-1035p class at WSU, it is expected that the professor does NOT drag the class out to 1035. Typically said classes let out around 9.

Not the class that I'm sitting in now :( Apparently getting my money's worth is listening to someone read 3 1/2 hours of Power Point presentations.

Wait --- you're taking classes in person? Haven't you heard of CLEP or virtual universities yet? :devil:

I had a Greek and Roman literature class that had mandatory attendance...I needed the dual credits in the class to graduate. I would sit in the back of the class and do work for other courses, read the assigned literature, and still have time to write long letters to my future wife.

I know it hacked off the professor to have me in class ignoring him, but the whole class was basically reading comprehension. Any confusing points were more than cleared up by Cliff's Notes. I finally decided that if your class is so boring you have to require mandatory attendance to fill it, and if it is so easy that just doing the reading will get you an A, then you don't deserve a lot of my attention.

I feel your pain!

Wait --- you're taking classes in person? Haven't you heard of CLEP or virtual universities yet? :devil:

I had the CLEP my freshman year, but a Z pack cleared that right up ;):lol:

Unfortunately most of my coursework is not offered online, ergo I am made to suffer. It'll be worth it when I get paid during summer vacations (and thus...get paid to shoot ;) )

Okay...I'm taking 5 classes at a time to finish up my Masters program...

Wow! 5 classes translates to about 15 credits . . . 15 credits of grad level courses at once! You are a better man than I.

I took 9 credits (3 classes, the norm) credits of grad level physics in the astrophysics Ph.D. program at RPI my first semester. I dropped down to 6 credits after that. I can't imagine 15 units of grad level classes in one semester. You must want that Master's quick.

Just be thankful if you don't have any professors with, shall we say, hygeine problems. You haven't experienced education until you're packed into a small room with a stinky nuclear physics professor, on a hot and humid summer day, with the windows and doors closed.

:blink:

Wow! 5 classes translates to about 15 credits . . . 15 credits of grad level courses at once! You are a better man than I.
It's actually 20 credit hours ;) , but trust me, I would have a breakdown in astrophysics.
Be thankful if you don't have any professors with, shall we say, hygeine problems. You haven't experienced education until you're packed into a small room with a stinky nuclear physics professor, on a hot and humid summer day, with the windows and doors closed.

:blink:

Sweet Moses man! I AM lucky!

I had the CLEP my freshman year, but a Z pack cleared that right up ;):lol:

Ah yes, nothing like a little VD to complete the college experience. Man I wish I could go back :cheers:

UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!! Back in "hell" class. I am so glad that WSU is on quarters and not semesters.

I don't think I could handle more than 9 more classes of this crap.

I remember that we had classes that ran 7:30AM to 8:20AM..... and nobody knew why because the next classes all started at 9AM. Most profs would just bump the start time to 8 and run til 8:50, we had one dipstick who took advantage and cranked the full 7:30 to 9AM every time.

The capper was this was Physics... and it was his STRICT policy not to "go over" book material in class. You bought the book, you learn it on your own... he would cover "collateral" topics of "interest" like the case for and against the actual existence of the magnetic monopole.... if you don't know what that is, never mind it doesn't exist.

The point is this guy just spent all the class time yarbling about BS and never helped us learn the meat we needed to pass the tests and get to the next physics class.

Edited by bountyhunter

, we had one dipstick who took advantage and cranked the full 7:30 to 9AM every time.

I laughed out loud when I read this sentence, and how the whole class is looking at me like I'm insane :)

They're not far from the truth ;)