Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 'First' shooting book?

shooter757

What exactly are you interested in reading about? Competition shooting, IPSC/IDPA, self defense, marksmanship? In my opinion, it all depends on your skill level and what your intention is. Some books are for advanced shooters and others may not pertain to the specific subject your want.

If its action pistol, Birans book is great, a must have. Saul Kirsch has a few good books out. Matt Burkett wrote a book years ago that is a good place to start. Mike Plaxco's Shooter Ready is a good book also. I assume most of us have read them all and have taken things from each book to work on, and go back to them every once and a while for a review.

If its another area you are interested in, be more specific. Lots of great resources on this forum.

Good Luck

Edited by Sac Law Man

I hate to be the sole dissenting voice, and this may be a horrible thing to say, considering the venue, but Brian's book, while great, is really a bit advanced for a new shooter. For a beginner's how-to text, I'd suggest Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford. Click here to read my review explaining why:

http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Speed-Shoot...9261&sr=8-1

I hate to be the sole dissenting voice, and this may be a horrible thing to say, considering the venue, but Brian's book, while great, is really a bit advanced for a new shooter. For a beginner's how-to text, I'd suggest Surgical Speed Shooting by Andy Stanford. Click here to read my review explaining why:

I will actually go along with most of the above. I got a bunch of books including Brian's when I was starting out. With near zero background in pistol shooting all of these were mostly over my head. After two years I am beginning to get more use out of these books. The most useful training aid to me was Mat Burket's DVDs and reading these forums.

Slav

I'm breaking the rules and telling you that there are 2 books that you need to buy to get started:

-Brian Enos-Beyond Fundamentals

-Saul Kirsch-Thinking Practical Shooting

After reading those, if you decide that this is something that you want to do AND win at, you need two more:

-Steve Anderson-Refinement and Repetition

-Lanny Bassham-With Winning In Mind

My opinion: Brian's book, Beyond Fundamentals.. you can get it at Brian's store. After that, anything by Anderson, Kirsch or Burkett.

Nuff said!

~Drift on~ If anyone has Kirch's book and wants to part with it please PM me. ~drift off~

Edited by JThompson

So far, for me, it has been Steve Amderson's book. Some of the things in Brian's book are starting to sink in, but my shooting needs to improve more to use some of his info.

I consistently shot in the lower 25% of any match I shot, IDPA, steel or USPSA and wasn't making a lot of progress. Since the 1st. of the year, I've worked pretty consistently on my draw, first shot and reload from what Steve recommends. Because of weather, I would say 80% dryfire, 20% range time. I have moved into the top 50% for my last few matches and made all the 35 yd. shots in a steel match today. Not impressive, but a ton of progress for me.

Best, Rik

What is the best 'first' shooting book to get?

BE books are fantastic, as are many of the others mentioned. However, a FIRST book should be very heavy on basic shooting fundamentals, and not tactics, holsters, speed and other subjects which clearly should follow, not preceed or parallel basic shooting fundamentals.

A few excellent FIRST books could include PISTOL SHOOTERS TREASURY by Gil Hebard. This book is compilation of words of wisdoms of some of the best every trigger pullers in the sport of accuracy pistol shooting. All of these writers have mastered the trigger. It is a must read if you want to understand trigger control.

Another book which is excellent is the The Pistol Guide of the Army Marksmanship Unit. It too is excellent at fundamentals, and basic shooting at extreme accuracy levels.

The third reference is a work book training guide. I think it is the MARINE PISTOL TEAM training manual. This is a work book where by one must master a step or challenge, before they can advance to the next level. Again a guide to solid foudation of fundamentals.

The study and implemention of the techniques and knowledge of many of the above shooters dates back to the 1930's. As fundamentals go, things haven't changed. IN todays faster styles of shooting, the degree of criticality of one fundamental over another may shift but all the fundamentals are still present, the order of priority just gets rearranged.

Martin :cheers:

I agree with Duane, but would suggest instead of a book Matt Burkett's DVD series, followed by Saul Kirsch book, and then Brian's book. Fundamentals then Accuracy then Skills then Vision of everything.