Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I Want To Try USPSA Competition

Randy C

I'm planning to take part in USPSA competition. I have a Glock 23 .40 cal. that I carry on duty. The pistol is a little too small for my hand. I'm thinking of buying the Springfield XD45 for both duty use and competition in the production class. I would also like to try bowling pin matches and possibly any other types of competition thay may be open to this pistol. I reload for both .40 and .45.

Would the .45 XD be a good choice for the type of competition I'm looking at?

Also, what other types of competition may be open for me?

Thanks

Randy

I'm planning to take part in USPSA competition. I have a Glock 23 .40 cal. that I carry on duty. The pistol is a little too small for my hand. I'm thinking of buying the Springfield XD45 for both duty use and competition in the production class. I would also like to try bowling pin matches and possibly any other types of competition thay may be open to this pistol. I reload for both .40 and .45.

Thanks

Randy

To be honest I think more people use the XD 9mm in the production division but there is nothing that says you could not use the .45 as well. I beleive you could also shoot Limited or Limited 10 and make major power factor so keep that in mind.

As far as another choice for competition I would check out IDPA as well. Aside from that, I have no other options in my area so I can not be of any help. Good luck and have fun! :cheers:

Edited by Jay6

I was just watching a segment of Shooting USA and there was a mention at the USPSA Production Nationals of a competitor using a S&W M&P in .45ACP. Are those considered Single Action or striker fired double action?

That could be another way to go especially with the interchangeable grip back straps.

First, welcome to the BE Community. We're happy that you joined in the fun. You'll learn more here than you could reading a dozen books and the people are a hoot too.

I shoot an XD-9 Tactical in Production and it is perfect for that application. If you want the .45 ACP (it is a great gun), then shoot Limited 10 since it will be a Major caliber. The game is essentially the same since you can only have ten rounds in the mag once loaded in either Division. However, you can adjust the holster and mag pouch location in L-10. Of course, you can use the same rig with appropriate placement of the holster and mag pouches for Production but you'll still be subject to Minor scoring and give up a bit to the other competitors due to the higher recoil. On the plus side, your bullet holes will be bigger than theirs. :devil:

No matter which Division you choose, you'll have a whale of a good time! :cheers:

Edited by XD Niner

There really isn't the perfect pistol to shoot all the games out there. The .45 ACP would be the best choice if you planned on shooting bowling pins also. Since you reload both .40 and .45, what other pistols do you own? It may also be better if you can shoot some of the games with your G23 first and see if one of the game interests you the most. Then get a gun which is more beneficial to that sport for you.

since capacity is not an issue in USPSA production division both the .40 or .45 (loaded to minor) would be fine. the .40 probably would be cheaper???

i am not sure about this but i thought i would bring up the following:

since you mentioned that you will be using the same gun for duty and competition you MIGHT have to use a lighter recoil spring when you shoot minor .40 compared to duty/defense .40 loads?

Well, before all this analysis of which gun you should shoot, tell us where you are living. From there someone on this forum can hook you up with the shooting crowd. There are enough shooters that cross over from one sport to another that we tend to all know each other (or meet eventually). Once you find someone on this forum in your area, go to a match, watch, ask questions. Then start blasting paper at the next match. It's really the best way to go about it.

Well, before all this analysis of which gun you should shoot, tell us where you are living. From there someone on this forum can hook you up with the shooting crowd. There are enough shooters that cross over from one sport to another that we tend to all know each other (or meet eventually). Once you find someone on this forum in your area, go to a match, watch, ask questions. Then start blasting paper at the next match. It's really the best way to go about it.

Hey Guys

Thanks for the warm welcome and friendly advise. I would really like to keep my Glock 23 and also buy a XD45. I just bought a Kahr PM45 so the little lady would probably shoot me if I bought another new gun right now without selling one. If I can't get enough money for the Glock 23, I will probably make due with the Glock 23.

I live in N/E Illinois just south of the Wisconsin border. (32 Miles north of Chicago) The Northern Illlinois Shooters Assoc.

(NISA) has a USPSA match on Sunday in Southern Wisconsin. I'm planning to attend and observe the match. I'm sure I will learn a lot about this type of competition.

Randy

Randy,

I am the IPSC coordinator for Schultz's. That is where NISA holds there matches. If the weather cooperates I will be at the match. Look for the southpaw with the revolver, or the fire engine red F250 with ladder rack. By all means bring your equipment and shoot the match. You can squad with me if you wish and we will walk you through your first IPSC match. Schult'zs shoots on the 2nd Sunday of the month as well. E-mail me and I will put you on my shooters e-mail list or call me if you have any other questions. Bring your gun and ammo Sunday and plan on having some fun.

Tom Mainus

414-378-2211

twmainus@wi.rr.com

http://www.wisconsinshooters.com/

http://www.schultzgunclub.com/

Edited by Tom Mainus

Randy,

I am the IPSC coordinator for Schultz's. That is where NISA holds there matches. If the weather cooperates I will be at the match. Look for the southpaw with the revolver, or the fire engine red F250 with ladder rack. By all means bring your equipment and shoot the match. You can squad with me if you wish and we will walk you through your first IPSC match. Schult'zs shoots on the 2nd Sunday of the month as well. E-mail me and I will put you on my shooters e-mail list or call me if you have any other questions. Bring your gun and ammo Sunday and plan on having some fun.

Tom Mainus

414-378-2211

twmainus@wi.rr.com

Tom

I sent you a PM

Thanks Randy

Edited by Randy C

They're all good. You live in a great area for the games.

For the XD, you can load it light, but some modifications may be in order. Or, you can also use it box stock and still have fun. The recoil difference will be negligible until you get a good feel for the games and have a better idea of what suits you.

Best thing you can do is go shoot a match. I wish I could make it over to Schultz for some of their shoots. Bring your rig, mags and gun and have fun. There's usually a few LEO's around here that use their duty gear and shoot like they're qualifying. It's still fun in the end. I always love watching and scoring them after they shoot a very deliberate all 'alpha' stage. No matter how slow you go, it's always a good feeling to do that.

The number of mags you have will dictate where you are your first few matches. If you've only got about 3 mags, shoot in Limited (unlimited rounds in a mag). IF you've got 4 or 5, shoot in Production (10 rounds per mag).

Randy,

Tom Mainus

414-378-2211

twmainus@wi.rr.com

Tom

I sent you a PM

Thanks Randy

Randy you will definetly have a good time at Schultz range, definetly find Tom and talk with him as he is very knowledgeable.. I shot there full classifier match in the snow and it was a blast. There are several very good clubs in your area to shoot. You have Oconomowoc, Pine tree, Schultz(NISA).

Randy,

Tom Mainus

414-378-2211

twmainus@wi.rr.com

Tom

I sent you a PM

Thanks Randy

30 minutes later, you had the coodinator of the whole shooting match sending you his info. That's what I'm talking about B) Gotta love it. You will get more help in this endeavour (of shooting) than you will find in anything else out there. It's just the way people are in shooting sports.

Tom will treat you to a informative and fun day out for your first match. Dress appropriately as the weather will be nasty, have fun, and i guarantee you will be back for more. Lots of USPSA and IDPA in southern WI and northern IL. See you soon.

Mike

Randy, since you live in Ill. you might check out the SS Nationals in Berry. I drove in from Ohio with friends to shoot the Ltd. Nats. a few years ago. Neat range complex and fun time. You should be able to see the best of the best by watching the "Super Squad".

I figured it would be appropriate to place this question here. Does anyone know if there are any competitions or games in the Easley South Carolina area. Or, could you point me in the right direction in finding this information out. Are there any other organizations other than those mentioned in prior posts or are they the only two? It sounds like great fun and I would be interested to know more. Also, while I am on the boards, if anyone is in this area, would they be willing to give me a few pointers on reloading? Sure, I can read post after post, but hands on experience is priceless.

Thanks for the advice,

Acetyl

Thanks

Randy

Randy,

Don't do it man! You need to run, I repeat, RUN away now while you still have money in the bank. What ever you do do not accept any offers to shoot your buddies open gun!!! It's all a trick to lure you to the dark side. $4000 guns and a never ending pursuit of the next best gadget. Run Run Run! :P

Acetyl since no one answered your post I will try to help you. Go to USPSA and IDPA web sites. they have club locater functions which you can use to find clubs in your area. Also check out the rules section. Also check local gun shops and indoor ranges. Some of them post info on local clubs. I shoot both USPSA and IDPA and have for years just because I love to shoot and compete. Hope this helps and welcome.

Richard

Edited by chirpy

I figured it would be appropriate to place this question here. Does anyone know if there are any competitions or games in the Easley South Carolina area. Or, could you point me in the right direction in finding this information out. Are there any other organizations other than those mentioned in prior posts or are they the only two? It sounds like great fun and I would be interested to know more. Also, while I am on the boards, if anyone is in this area, would they be willing to give me a few pointers on reloading? Sure, I can read post after post, but hands on experience is priceless.

Thanks for the advice,

Acetyl

Acetyle,

Send a message to Jack Suber. He's the So. Carolina Section Coordinator for USPSA and I'm sure he'd be glad to steer you in the right direction. You can PM him by clicking >>here<<.