Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The Definition of Hell

Jake Di Vita

I got this from another forum I go on frequently. They didn't say where it was from, but it is too good not to post here.

"Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become."

That one keeps me up at night...

That is very deep, and for the first 10 seconds That Idea was scary.

But ... I am lucky in that my Father is a borderline Genesis IQ =Very good with math = Designed Rotor heads for helicopters etc. etc.

I watched him shoot rabbits on the run with a 22 and can rarely remember him miss with any type firearm. I never saw him miss with a shotgun and he always waited for me to shoot first, If I could get a shot.

Any way He made it easy to learn to happy, even when I realized I would never be as smart or as skilled as he is.

He did not allow me to use the word ..Hate.

Edited by AlamoShooter

Since this seems to be philosophical, why would you assume that the person that you became is not the person that the person you didn't become looks to on his last day on Earth ......

Pretty simple. If the person you didn't become still existed, then it would of been someone else and you probably wouldn't give a crap. <_<

Either way my head hurts now.

Jake, like Jamie said earlier ... it was a scary thought. I automatically activated my defense mechanisms by making light of the depth of what you said (how ironic is that).

Anyways don't let it keep you up late ... Your life is but a series of choices. How can you be upset over the bad ones, when you can't really ever be sure they were all that bad ??? -_-

I got this from another forum I go on frequently. They didn't say where it was from, but it is too good not to post here.

"Someone once told me the definition of Hell: The last day you have on Earth, the person you became will meet the person you could have become."

Thats when you meet JESUS

I don't think it's as much as regretting my past decisions, but knowing that I could be doing more to improve myself than I am. Does that make sense?

If you assume that you can always do better, then by definition you have set a goal that can not be achived. Your definition of hell is seeing that you did not reach that goal. Ignoring a honorable journey for a moment at the end of your life and comparing that point in time to infinite suffering is, well, dumb.

Later,

Chuck

I think, therefore I am.... I think...

Do you even remember yourself ...... after you are no longer yourself ?

I mean will you have any recollection of the past (however many years) ........ and how many years will that memory haunt you ?

.................. now THAT might be the Hell you were thinking of. ;)

I don't think it's as much as regretting my past decisions, but knowing that I could be doing more to improve myself than I am. Does that make sense?

yep I think we all got it

Teach someone how to be just a little bit happier and that Idea of "Hell" will seam like a silly thing to fear. ;)

I have heard that Life is about what you do, not what you could have don

<_< It could be IF you feel any fear of that, you are already just a bit in -that hell- and you just don't know it yet ;)

I don't think so. If it is something you couldn't have I don't think it would have as bad of an effect on you as something you could have had if you tried.

Yeah, but the original post said at the end of your life. The hell is wanting what it is too late to have.

Okay, now instead of this being your own loss of potential, put the parental spin on it....the person your child would have become had you made different decisions, encouraged in a different direction, or reacted differently. That is the one that keeps me up awake....

I think the definition is a good one that offers lots of avenues of thought. Based on this definition of Hell, how would/could we define heaven? I like to think of it from the other perspective. Avoiding the negative is not the same as pursuing the positive. I hope that when I meet that coulda' been me, all he can say is WOW you've been busy. That is what I'm striving for anyway.

The quote assumes life is static. It isn't. Things change. Goals change.

Who you are is who you are. And your life's experiences either keep that in check, or evolve it, depending.

The trick in life isn't about becoming who you could have been, it's insuring you don't ever lose who you are. No matter what you've accomplished.

It ain't the destination. Never has been. Because nobody knows what their destination is - they only know what they think it is. Which means it truly is about the journey. Nothing else.

J

What's the other forum? Would be interested if you wanted to post or PM.

***edited to remove a little harshness in my terminology. Like an idiot I typed my first thoughts and used my "outside voice" in responding. It was dissrespectful to some degree. The quote is a good quote - just not for me. No dissrespect implied***

Edited by j1b