Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying A new Gun

Teejo

Ok guys,

First things first, I'm very new to this although I have been shooting casually for 10 years. I'm very interested in starting to compete but haven't worked up the gumption to enter my first event. I know I'll be horrible. My question is this. I currently own a Springfield loaded, GP-100 and a ruger MK III. I was going to try my hand at bullsye (Still might) but I really want to pick up one more pistol and want to be able to compete with it (They're like Lays potato chips). I'm looking to go either go

GLOCK, XD, or M&P. While I was originally going to go with 9mm, after reading it seems like I may want to go .40 so I can get the power factor. My questions are:

1-Should I attempt to try my hand at both 1911 and plasti-gun or will I just struggle by not learning good technique with one gun

2- Am I right in Going .40 vs 9mm (I am planning to reload)

3- how can I get good practice in so I'm not embarrrassed to shoot my first match. (I do have an indoor range membership)

Any other advice will be greatly appreciated.

Terry in Ohio

Edited by Teejo

If you're looking at the plastic guns and are going to shoot in production, I would go with 9mm for a couple reasons

-cheaper - even when reloading

-you'll still make minor power factor

-generally less recoil

If you like your Springfield Loaded (assuming 45acp) shoot it in Single Stack or L-10. I only ran my Springfield in L-10 for the first couple years of shooting USPSA on and off. Then I shot a few matches in Production with my XD-9 Tactical (mostly stock except put Dawson sights). Now I'm playing Limited with a EAA Limited.

You can take the advise that I always give that I don't follow myself: spend money on training and ammo in the begining, not more guns and more widgetry. Becoming a better shooter and getting used to the matches is where you'll have value down the road.

Good luck!

Mitch

First off, welcome to the forum! :cheers: There's tons and tons of info here.

Second, where in Ohio? There are quite a few active clubs around the state. When I got into USPSA the first thing I did was go watch a match, see how it worked, etc. I made a couple quick friends and ran from there!

Third, gun to hand fit is very important. I personally do not like the way Glocks feel and cannot shoot one well, just for example. The CZ guns fit me much better so that's what I shoot in Production. Find the one that fits you best and go with that.

There's nothing wrong with starting out with a .40 caliber gun but remember if you are planning on starting out in Production division all calibers are scored minor. If you plan on going right into Limited, then you need at least .40 to make Major. I've read here that a .40 at minor PF is as soft or softer than a 9mm. 9mm components are still a bit cheaper than .40 so that may a consideration.

No body should ever be embarrassed at their first match. Everybody has to shoot a first match sometime. Just tell them you are new and they'll be more than willing to help you along!

what division do you want to shoot in?

with your 1911 single stack you can right now go and shoot in single stack with 8 round mags or in

Limited 10 with 10 round mags.

If you want to shoot Production then the guns you are looking at will all work very even in 40s&w, however production is

all scored minor no matter what ammo you use (as long as it makes minor power factor)

Now if you like the grip frame on the 1911 then you will like the grip on the M&P and XD, the Glock grip angle is

a little different and sometimes has a little more learning curve for folks switching from a 1911 pattern gun to the glock.

With both the M&P and The Glock getting high cap mags and basepads to get additional rounds in the gun to

shoot limited are options, and if you are shooting 40s&w then you can take advantage of the major power factor.

Welcome to the forum Terry :cheers:

First off...There is no need to be embarrassed about your shooting skills or lack thereof. We all had to start at some point. What's embarrassing is when you have been shooting as long as me and still suck <_<

Question#1...Find a gun you like (any of the ones you mentioned are good) and shoot it. After a while 6mo-1yr you may find that you want to try something else. Nothing wrong with that.

Question#2...IMHO I would go with the .40. If you're going to shoot production with minor loads you have a bit of an edge on knocking down steel. And if you want to shoot limited or L10 you can load to major.

Question#3... :rolleyes: Not even a concern. Go to a match and tell the match director you would like to try this out. They will be more than happy to show you the ropes.

Just have fun, be safe, and you'll be hooked.

Thanks guys,

I live in Wadsworth, Ohio (Close to Akron). I am very comfortable with the 1911 grip style so it sounds like its between the XD and M&P. I definitely want something that I can compete with as my skill allows. I know that I could start right away in single stack. My concern if that I go with 9mm will I be content down the road locked into a minor power factor. I like the thought of cheaper ammo though. As a beginner is it worth trying 2 divisions and seeing where you excel? I can get adequate practice time with both. I get to the range 3 or 4 times a week right now.

Thanks for the quick replys. I love shooters... Always willing to lend a hand

Terry

Welcome to the fun Terry!

Caliber - 9mm for cost effectiveness, 40 for cross training fun. If you go with a 40 M&P, you can always shoot production, but you can also slap on some mag extensions and a Speed Shooter's Specialties mag well and have tons of fun in Limited.

Gun - Both the M&P and XD are great guns. I prefer the M&P for comfort.

What to do to get ready for your first match - check out some of the many gear recommendations right here in this forum, and then do some practice. Practice drawing smoothly, fast paced reloads, and most importantly, trigger control/etiquette (finger off the trigger while drawing, reloading, holstering, etc. - any time you are not pointing at a target). If you are safe, no one will think bad of you. There's almost always a few very fresh shooters at the local matches up here - the fact that you've been shooting for 10 years already puts you ahead of most of them.

Most of what we do is shoot twice in each target and knock over steel. Even if it takes you a full second between shots at 10 yards, you'll do fine. Don't hesitate to go to a match - not just to watch, but to shoot. Say hi to the match director or anybody that looks like they're running the show, and let them know it's your first match. They'll most likely pair you up with an experienced shooter to show you the ropes and give you somebody to BS with.

One thing I didn't know at my first match - you need to leave your gun in your bag and take the bag over to a "safety area" to pull it out and holster it. Don't do it at your car or anywhere else.

Welcome Terry!

I won't rehash the good advice you've gotten so far. One thing in the favor of going .40 even for Production is that the larger hole might sometimes get you the next higher scoring ring.

Your best bet is to go to www.uspsa.org and use the club finder function. Pick the nearest club and look at their contact info and use it! Send their contact person an e-mail or call them and tell them you've never shot a match before and they'll take care of you. Some clubs require that you attend an orientation of some sort prior to your first match and you might not be able to do that prior to the first match if you just show up. Once there they'll probably hook you up with an experienced shooter to help you through the match to ensure you have a safe, fun experience. Enjoy! R,

Thanks guys,

I live in Wadsworth, Ohio (Close to Akron). I am very comfortable with the 1911 grip style so it sounds like its between the XD and M&P. I definitely want something that I can compete with as my skill allows. I know that I could start right away in single stack. My concern if that I go with 9mm will I be content down the road locked into a minor power factor. I like the thought of cheaper ammo though. As a beginner is it worth trying 2 divisions and seeing where you excel? I can get adequate practice time with both. I get to the range 3 or 4 times a week right now.

Terry

Wadsworth huh? I'm up in Warren. What range do you shoot at?

Anyway, Greenport Tactical (Linky) will be having their first match of the '08 season on Sunday April 6. Might not be too far from you to take a ride and check it out. Forum member "Tactical Timmy" is the match director, I'll most likely be there and maybe a few other forum members. It's free to watch and roam with a squad if you just want to watch once and see what it's about.

The XD, CZ, M&P, etc will take you as far as your skills allow and are all offered in 9 and 40. Don't be afraid of getting "locked into" a minor PF. You can still shoot in other divisions and if you shoot Alpha's, minor vs. major is a moot point! Or you can do what I did... 9mm Production gun and 9mm Open gun. That way I don't have to worry about reloading .40!! :cheers:

I might be wrong on this but the .40 XD with mag extensions only gets you 15 rounds. The Glock .40 with mag ext. gets you 19 or so. I don't know about the M&P w/mag ext. Probably doesn't matter, but less reloading helped me just starting out. I am hooked to this sport and I am sure you are going to be too!!

The info in this forum is unbelievable, no other sport I know has professionals at the top level willing to help like this sport.

You're in good hands on this site, or any USPSA club, best people I know.

First off, welcome to the forum Terry! :cheers:

You have lots of great shooters in NW Ohio, and Ohio in general who would be willing to give you all the help / advice you need. Not to mention Mich & Indy.

There's nothing wrong with trying out a couple of different divisions to see which one you like better. But try not to invest too much money in guns or epqt. that you might not have an interest in 6-12 months down the road, and end up selling.

The best idea is to start out with one gun / division and practice, practice, practice. The better you get, the more fun you will have. And in the meantime you will see what guns / gear other shooters use, and you can ask them for opinions & advice before you buy.

And remember we all had to start out somewhere. Many of us (myself included) were pretty bad when we 1st started, but I don't remember being embarresed, probably because I had a huge grin on my face from all the fun I had just shooting! :D

Thanks guys,

Terry

Anyway, Greenport Tactical (Linky) will be having their first match of the '08 season on Sunday April 6. Might not be too far from you to take a ride and check it out. Forum member "Tactical Timmy" is the match director, I'll most likely be there and maybe a few other forum members. It's free to watch and roam with a squad if you just want to watch once and see what it's about.

The XD, CZ, M&P, etc will take you as far as your skills allow and are all offered in 9 and 40. Don't be afraid of getting "locked into" a minor PF. You can still shoot in other divisions and if you shoot Alpha's, minor vs. major is a moot point! Or you can do what I did... 9mm Production gun and 9mm Open gun. That way I don't have to worry about reloading .40!! :cheers:

I shoot at the Midwest gun club in Canal Fulton. Gives me more detail on your upcoming match. Sounds like a great op to check it out. Thanks for the help

whoa chris! stealin some of my signature fire! :cheers: too funny!

Welcome new addict! I am fairly new at the game myself, but have been a purveyor of guns for almost 30 years. For the last 2 years I had the lays potato chip phenomenon with the very best of the best for practical shooting. As I understand your desire for a new gun, I warn you, if you already have equipment to shoot a division i.e your springer loaded, get yourself a cheap holster and some mag pouches, buy your ammo for a match or 10 and see how you like the sport, and if there's a division that entices you more to shoot, in which case choose your weapon wisely. shoot others guns and try the divisions before just signin up and buyin new toys. I have well over 15k in just a production gun, limited gun and open with a rig for each, reloading gear and components to load, as well as a new shotgun & AR for 3gun. most of my practice consists of dry fire practice. 1x a week I practice with live fire. it helps keep the cost down. Welcome and enjoy! shoot what you got til you know what you want.

Edited by SV_shooter

Curve the new-gun-itis urge and get yourself a decent progressive press to crank out the .45 acp rounds. Our host has some fine Dillon presses. Also get a decent manual and components and you will have invested about the same amount as a decent production gun.

You will be able to keep your .45 fed for less.

Thanks guys,

Terry

I shoot at the Midwest gun club in Canal Fulton. Gives me more detail on your upcoming match. Sounds like a great op to check it out. Thanks for the help

Midwest, LOL!! I shoot there on USPSA Saturday nights quite a bit. Won't be at the next one (NROI seminar that day). Anyway, the matches start at ~10:00 AM at Greenport (GTA) and this one will be 5 stages. If you are out and about early and get there before 10:00 we'll all be milling about up at the BIG garage. To watch all you have to do is sign a release. When you get there go see the guy behind the table, tell him you want to watch. Bring "eyes and ears" and you're set.

Like SV said, if you have a holster, mags, and pouches for the Springfield you're all set to at least try out the sport. I went to GTA and watched a match before I got into it myself.

If you happen to be at Midwest and Adam is working the counter talk to him about it also. He'll have a good idea what's going on at GTA and can most likely provide any info you need. ;)

Let me know if there's anything else I can help with. Hope to see you there!

Terry, welcome. Check out the club finder option at USPSA and IDPA. I used to shoot at a club in Akron which was forced to close - they moved and became Greenport. I still shoot IDPA at a club near Youngstown (Youngstown Rifle & Pistol) and USPSA at Crooked Creek up North toward Ashtabula (probably a bit far for you with the price of gas but you never know). A 1911 in SS or L10 works well or any of the plastic guns in Production/Stock Service (9mm) work well too. Whatever you do enjoy.

Richard

Thanks guys,

Terry

Midwest, LOL!! I shoot there on USPSA Saturday nights quite a bit. Won't be at the next one (NROI seminar that day). Anyway, the matches start at ~10:00 AM at Greenport (GTA) and this one will be 5 stages. If you are out and about early and get there before 10:00 we'll all be milling about up at the BIG garage. To watch all you have to do is sign a release. When you get there go see the guy behind the table, tell him you want to watch. Bring "eyes and ears" and you're set.

Like SV said, if you have a holster, mags, and pouches for the Springfield you're all set to at least try out the sport. I went to GTA and watched a match before I got into it myself.

If you happen to be at Midwest and Adam is working the counter talk to him about it also. He'll have a good idea what's going on at GTA and can most likely provide any info you need. ;)

First,

Thanks to all for your advice. For those of you that shoot locally. What can you tell me about GTA? I looked at their website, it didnt really give you much info on the range itself or the events. I chose Midwest because they seemed to be pretty active and their website was pretty good (15 minutes from home is nice too) I am considering a second membership to a club but have been leaning towards an outdoor range to have the best of both worlds. Any input out there?

Thanks again for all the advice

Terry

Thanks guys,

Terry

First,

Thanks to all for your advice. For those of you that shoot locally. What can you tell me about GTA? I looked at their website, it didnt really give you much info on the range itself or the events. I chose Midwest because they seemed to be pretty active and their website was pretty good (15 minutes from home is nice too) I am considering a second membership to a club but have been leaning towards an outdoor range to have the best of both worlds. Any input out there?

Thanks again for all the advice

Terry

15 minutes from home? Can't beat that with a stick! I'm about 1 1/2 hours away so I don't have a membership. I just go down for the USPSA matches. I noticed that the schedule hasn't been updated for this year yet. I think that the USPSA matches are all on the first Sunday of the month. I really can't tell you much more as I don't know but I'll try! It's a pretty nice range, IMO. The best thing I can tell you is come and check it out.

If you have any questions about the match you could also post in THIS topic. "Tactical Timmy" is the MD (match director) for USPSA at GTA.

If the weather isn't evil I'll be there.

GTA is a mixed IDPA/USPSA club that also does formal rifle classes, CCW, practical/tactical classes, sniper matches ... a little bit of everything. The property is privately owned (not by the club) and is also used for LE/private contractor training. The halftrack and heavy caliber military stuff you'll see there are all real, and they all work.

USPSA matches for the season are the first Sunday of the month. Registration opens ~0930, shooting starts ~1000. IDPA matches are listed on the big calendar in the classroom and will be on the website as dates get closer.

You are most welcome to come watch. We almost always shoot through twice. If you want to shoot with us on the re-shoot round, you're welcome to do that, too. No pressure. Lots of us start that way.

Any other questions, let us know. Welcome aboard!

Fran