Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Buying bullets that turn out to be non-productive

Dustdevil21

I buy 500 bullets, so I can get started loading on my Dillon. Load about 20 rounds, and after I am done I do a search here on the bullets and come to find out that everyone that has used them hasn't had very good luck. :blink:

I guess I have expensive Dillon press reloading/operations training rounds. <_<

But you never know they might work in my blaster :mellow:

ONLY 500???

I had 7500, and when I got my new blaster, well, the new blaster did not like them, so....

Luckily they were very high quality bullets that were not that difficult to move, but I did take a bit of a loss.

So, in my mind, you got off pretty easy.

Wait until you have to pull 200 just to save the brass, bullet and primer from a silly error

After a few years you will start to count in 1000 not 100s :blink: Oh My ! I only have 3,000 bullets left ;)

You don't save any money reloading = you just get to shoot more.

Alamo Shooter wrote:

After a few years you will start to count in 1000 not 100s Oh My ! I only have 3,000 bullets left

Or just do what I do, since I store everything in ammo cans.

I weigh the ammo cans on a digital bathroom scale. Subtract the weight of the cans from the total and then multiple the pounds by 7,000 (7,000 grains in a pound) and then divide that huge number by the bullet's weight in grains.

I would not want to drop an ammo can even half full of projectiles on my toe/foot. :blink:

I'm still loading up practice rounds with the last of 30,000 West Coast bullets I bought. About one out of a hundred keyholes. :angry2:

One out of 100 ain't so bad. I loaded about 500 rounds with Titegroup and maybe, just maybe one out of 100 DIDN'T keyhole!! :surprise:

I know the feeling. Got about 500 or so 142gr (I think) .45 zinc bullets. Great for shooting back in the days when single stack .45s were the hot ticket for Open Division...of course, that was before there was an "Open Division."

I didn't want to rip too hard with my first what I hate thread.

They are Extreme Bullets, 40 Cal. 180gr. plated. After I got them home and figured out what I could have picked up with other brands for a few dollars more helped the burn even more. Rack it up to a Noob reloader reloading in bulk.

I know five hundred doesn't sound all that much, but working with a limited budget (ie trying to sneek stuff into the house) and time, I don't get to practice, and I only get to shoot one match a month.

Maybe the spin on this should have been What I Hate: "Not enough time or money to reload the bullets I want, to practice as much as I want, and to shoot a match every weekend. :angry2:

money wise you'll be much better off ordering a case (2500-3000) from a supplier that will ship in a flat rate post office box. Then you will develop a special bond with your mail man.