Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Berry 185 gr. HBRN?

kraigster414

Tried them with 4.2 of Clays 720 f/s but a wide spread. The pressures are too light in a Revolver and you don't seem to get consistent combustion.

With 4.5 of Clays velocity was about 780 f/s and much more consistent.

Used 4.9 Clays for 840 f/s.

All with OAL of 1.235".

The major problem I've run into is the lack of accuracy past 25 yds. They seem to do well to that point, but beyond that the groups widen out til I can't hit a 12" plate at 50 yds. which is not something I can accept.

Just using the above loads with JHP's the 50 yd groups come back in the 4" range.

Might just be my guns don't like them, but I had similar problems with HB bullets in 1911's in the late '80's.

Edited by pskys2

Fast powder high pressures and they work. I loaded a bunch for a bulleseye shooter and he really liked them in his older original colt Milspec beaters. The Kimber and Les baer's with nice match grade barrels didnt like them so well.

You're saying a Berry's 185 grain, Hollow Base, Round Nose, design of a bullet, right?

Is this a typical Berry's plated bullet?

Or is it lead?

If it's a Berry's plated bullet, it's too rich for my blood (close to $42 per 250 :surprise: ).

I've shot them in forty and forty-five and both performed well. I shot them in a Les Baer and a Wilson with excellent accuracy. As noted above, some guns just don't like certain bullets or loads.

I was using WW 231, Winchester primers, loaded to 1.245".

Buddy

I use the Berry's 185 HBRN in revolver. Federal primer, 5.7 Red-dot, 1.250 OAL.

Chrono's at 172 PF in my 5" 625. What's kind of odd is that it only makes 162

in my 5" Single Stack gun!

Accuracy is great in the Revo, never really tried it in a Auto.

You're saying a Berry's 185 grain, Hollow Base, Round Nose, design of a bullet, right?

Is this a typical Berry's plated bullet?

Or is it lead?

If it's a Berry's plated bullet, it's too rich for my blood (close to $42 per 250 :surprise: ).

It's not Berry's that's the problem. Their 230 Plated RN are just as good as any FMJ.

But it is Berry who makes the 185 HBRN, I've used them in a 625 for ICORE. As long as I don't try to use them past 25 yds. I like them fine.

It's just been my experience a HB bullet is a bit touchier than a plain base for accuracy at extended ranges. And the only Plated HB bullet I know of is made by Berry's. I know the theory of HB bullets, works with WC in .38 Specials, etc... I've just never had any good luck with any in a .45.

• 2 weeks later...

I used berry's 185 gr HBRN .45 acp for quite a while before the prices skyrocketed.

I loaded them 1.230" with 4.8 grs Clays and was quite happy with the lower recoil and good accuracy under 25 yds, not sure if that would cut it for major though, never Chrono'd it.

Edited by mr1911

I used them once with clays nice soft shooting load. I don't remember how much powder to get major, same OAL as 230 ball worked well in one of my guns, unfortunately it wasn't the one I was using for the match I was shooting. It chrono'd about 172-173 in like three different guns, but after being loaded for a few weeks I barely made major. Really neat idea for a light bullet for .45 though.

Jason

I just started using them with 6.1gr of Titegroup and an OAL of just over 1.250-in.

They make major at that for me.

5.9gr of Titegroup for me in 6.5" 25-2. but when it was all over I went back to 230 Berry with 4.0 gr Clays.

• 5 months later...

Like others posting here, I am loading them with 4.5 and 4.6 grains of ordinary Clays to and OAL of 1.22-1.23" I use these for club competition, not USPSA, as I have no hope of making major.

The round is accurate out to 25, as others have said, with less recoil than a 9mm (IMHO).