Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best 9mm dies?

Tattoo

LEE dies have always worked well. For me, I still have the first set. 9mm Was the first set of dies I ever bought, that was 25 years ago.

Dillon is the other brand I would have recommended.

Jim M ammo

If you're going to be reloading for the factory barrel in the G34, I'd go with a Lee four die set with the taper crimp die or the FCD. IMO, there's no need for a "U" die (or the FCD, for that matter) with a non-match chamber. Dillon would be at least as good, but more expensive.

If you've got an aftermarket barrel, then I'd consider the "U" die.

Hey thanks,

What is a EGW U die? And yes Redding Comp is the best seating die, but....... $$$

Are Lee dies belled? for easy sizing? And waht do you do w/ the "4th" die in a 4 die set???

T

Hey thanks,

What is a EGW U die? And yes Redding Comp is the best seating die, but....... $$$

Are Lee dies belled? for easy sizing? And waht do you do w/ the "4th" die in a 4 die set???

T

EGW U die is a sizing die that basically sizes a little tighter (undersized) and sizes further down the case. It is great for taking out bulges usually associated with brass that has been used in GLOCKS or any other guns that have "looser" chambers. Since you are shooting a GLOCK it would not be a necessity, but if you ever switched to a match grade aftermarket barrel I would highly recommend it. Edited by baerburtchell

Hello: You can use the Hornady seating die with the micrometer attachment instead of the Redding comp one. The Hornady is cheaper and just as good. The EGW "U" die sizes just a little bit smaller than the standard Lee sizer but I would use either one for a tight chambered pistol. I have to get one since I have had a couple of rounds get stuck in my STI 2011 9mm using the Dillon sizer. Hope this helps. Thanks, Eric

IMO, the absolute best dies money can buy are the Redding Titanium carbide if you just want a standard set of dies. For competition I run:

Lee/EGW undersized ("U") die

Redding expander if I'm loading moly or lead - no expander if I'm loading FMJ/CMJ/JHP's

Redding seater for moly/lead - Redding Competition seater for FMJ/CMJ/JHP's

Lee FCD.

I wouldn't mind trying Hornady competition die but I can't find one complete. It seems you have to buy the Hornady seater die then the micrometer part separate. Anybody know where to get one that's all together?

Well for the money the Lee dies are pretty appealing at about 1/2 the price of Dillon. But Dillon says theirs are

flared/belled at eh bottom of the sizer for easier entry when sizing. Are the Lees or others made the same way??

T

Best 9mm dies ?

EGW "U" dies for decap and resize

Redding Competition Seating Die

Dillon Crimp

A close second would be the complete Dillon Set.

+1

+2, best die set for a 550 that money can buy.

Well for the money the Lee dies are pretty appealing at about 1/2 the price of Dillon. But Dillon says theirs are

flared/belled at eh bottom of the sizer for easier entry when sizing. Are the Lees or others made the same way??

T

Yup. Many of us feel that the Dillon dies are flared a bit too much, which limits the sizing done by the sizing die - it doesn't size the base of the case enough. Even so, they'd probably work for a factory Glock chamber.

The four dies in a four die set are sizing, expanding, seating and crimping. For the Lee or any other set than Dillon, you don't use the expanding die, since Dillon presses require you to use their expanding die due to the design of the powder measure.

Best 9mm dies ?

Agree - but I add the Lee Carbide crimp die - the Factory Crimp Die - and I use the Hornady Case Spray shown in Brian's video.

Best 9mm dies ?

Dillon Crimp

A close second would be the complete Dillon Set.

+1

+2, best die set for a 550 that money can buy.

Where can you buy all three of these at one place???

T

Another option for taking the bulge out is using a "push-thru" die on a single stage press. My Dad starting doing this years ago to all our pistol cases. Takes a cheap size die and modifies it so you can push the case completely through and collect in a bottle at the top. Sorta like a bullet swager.

Of course this is only good if you want to spend the time doing it.

Cases are still sized when they go through the dillon to take the primer out.

I think redding also makes a crimp die in some calibers.

Nick

Another option for taking the bulge out is using a "push-thru" die on a single stage press. My Dad starting doing this years ago to all our pistol cases. Takes a cheap size die and modifies it so you can push the case completely through and collect in a bottle at the top. Sorta like a bullet swager.

The nine is a tapered case, right? Is a std 9mm sizing die tapered (wide at the bottom at the base, narrower at the the mouth end)? Would that mean turning out the ID of a 9mm die to do what you're talking about?

The nine is a tapered case, right? Is a std 9mm sizing die tapered (wide at the bottom at the base, narrower at the the mouth end)? Would that mean turning out the ID of a 9mm die to do what you're talking about?

The 9x19 is a tapered case. The Lee carbide sizing die does not conform to the taper per the spec. The result is often finished rounds that have a "coke-bottle" effect, with a smaller case OD just below the portion where the bullet is seated. Lee says this is normal.

Does anybody make a truly tapered carbide sizing die?

How about non-carbide?

The 9x19 is a tapered case. The Lee carbide sizing die does not conform to the taper per the spec. The result is often finished rounds that have a "coke-bottle" effect, with a smaller case OD just below the portion where the bullet is seated. Lee says this is normal.

I know first hand that the lee, dillon, and egw dies will all give you the 'coke bottle' effect to varying degrees.

I would wager that all of the other dies (redding, rcbs, etc.) will also be the same.