Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

6" vs. 5"

Rocket35

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me first say that I don't feel "calling the shot" is exactly rocket science. And if the 6" gun's longer sight radius is truely that much more precision, calling the shot would actually be less of a factor with the 6" gun than it would be with a 5" gun.

You don't 'get it'. There will never be a point where calling shots is less of a factor. The 6" gun allows you to shoot more precisely and call your shots more precisely, THAT IS the advantage. There really isn't anything else to it. If that isn't an advantage to you I don't know what to tell you. Less recoil? Not going to happen, not in a gun that is the same weight or lighter.

Light guns aren't for you, you have found that through your own research. Mine is the only one in the area set up for movable weights and I will be shooting it set up very light all year. Good luck in your search Jay.

Matt, I think that a lot of folks that voted need to stand in the same line as you.---------Larry

Good point Larry. I didn't vote either,,,,yet. But I will once the season starts rolling. Again, I noted the 6" pistol is REALLY working for me now as I practice. Just yesterday, a friend mine who is equpped with all the coolest range gizmo's, has 3 hanging steel a/c targets. One plate was at 10 yards, another at 25 yards and another at 50 yards. Each one has a distinctive tone when struck by a bullet. I noticed this when he was shooting them. I told him I was going shoot them and play "jingle bells" with the tones. I loaded up my 6 incher and by golly, I played jingle bells with the targets. Next time, I'll have to video tape it so ya'll can see it. It was funny.

I bring this up not because I think a 6" is superior to a 5". Rather, I think the 6" just works better for some, and as Howard stated, you do have the ability to be more precise on calling your shots, especially at the longer distances. Could I have played jingle bells with my previous SV site tracker? I dunno, maybe. But since I don't have it anymore, I'll never know.

I am an average shooter and I shoot the Edge. My son had a 6" STI built and after shooting it I fell in love. It has been lightened and points quicker than the Edge and the sight radius does help on the longer shots. I have not run it from a holster to see if there was a difference in the draw.

Everyone that has shot the pistol really likes it and feels it handles and shoots better than the shorter guns.

It does seem to lift the sights a little more than my gun (we use the same loads).

Bottom line...I'm having a 6" top end built for my Edge. So I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Buddy

From talking to Robbie, I know he feels he shoots a 6" better than a 5".

And from the little I shot one of his 6" pistols, although I hated to admit it, I shot it better on a plate rack at 15 yards than I did my 5" pistol.

be

Brian,

Could this be because of aging eyes?

Well I guess what I am getting from this, for the most part (responses), is that in order for it to truely be better one has to have it lightened and setup just right and use a specific load. Otherwise there isn't as much improvement?

Here is another question for the 6" gurus.....

If you use the same ammo that makes major in a 5" in a 6" gun that is the same weight as the 5" gun- would there be an improvement, no improvement or a "wash" in improvement, toward the 6" gun?

'Cause if you are comparing apples to apples, as Howard would suggest, that is pretty much the only way to do it right? I could see the merits of being able to use a lighter load....but that is a different tangible that would move the compairison to apples to oranges wouldn't it?! :blink:

Rocket man...don't make assumptions. I shoot a 175 pf in my 5" and it has almost no muzzle flip for me. Friends have shot the same load and thought it to be harsh. So what I'm saying is that...what is good for me may not be good for you.

The only way for you to make a good comparison is to try one. I'm sure that someone at you local matches has one and would be more than happy for you to try it out. Then you can be comfortable with any decision you make.

Good Luck.

Buddy

If you use the same ammo that makes major in a 5" in a 6" gun that is the same weight as the 5" gun- would there be an improvement, no improvement or a "wash" in improvement, toward the 6" gun?

'Cause if you are comparing apples to apples, as Howard would suggest, that is pretty much the only way to do it right? I could see the merits of being able to use a lighter load....but that is a different tangible that would move the compairison to apples to oranges wouldn't it?! :blink:

Rocket, you reload, right? Beyond cost, why? Optimize loads for conditions? Having the ability to do that would you use the same load for a glock22 as you would for a edge? You could but I dont think I would. I would load to get the best out of whatever I had. There aint no apples to apples or samey same here, its a diffrent platform. The 6 will do anything the 5in will do, If you use the 5 in load your PF will go up with the 6in, thats all. But the 6in will take you somewhere the 5in wont let you get to.-----------------Larry

I am not making assumptions. I am just trying to get a clear picture of how those that have had experienced the comparison. What I am wondering was the only difference the length of the gun or was there many more tangibles.

I have shot a 6" side by side with an Edge as stated before. But I don't think that the limited amount of time one can get at just borrowing one for a few shots is enough to know whether or not there is enough of an advantage. I know that the one I tried out did not prove to be any more of one. I shot it with my loads that made major in the Edge and also Darryl's loads for the gun. I didn't find, in the short time available, any significant advantage. But I think there was not enough time to truely evaluate the gun. Also that gun was about 7oz lighter than the Edge was! So that was not a fair comparison either.

Rocket, you reload, right? Beyond cost, why? Optimize loads for conditions? Having the ability to do that would you use the same load for a glock22 as you would for a edge? You could but I dont think I would. I would load to get the best out of whatever I had. There aint no apples to apples or samey same here, its a diffrent platform. The 6 will do anything the 5in will do, If you use the 5 in load your PF will go up with the 6in, thats all. But the 6in will take you somewhere the 5in wont let you get to.-----------------Larry

I guess that is what I was trying to get at. It isn't the sight radius that is the big advantage- it is the ability to shoot a lighter load and still make major. I guess those are the two biggest pluses. But I have been hearing from several people that have went back to a 5" gun after trying out the 6" platform. If the 6" guns are such a no brainer more advantageous- my question now is why are people switching back to a 5" gun? And why don't all the Champs shoot them exclusively? I know Leatham likes them, but he could out shoot me with a 9mm pocket pistol too! :lol:

The only 6in 1911 type guns approved for USPSA limited back in the 90s were single stack 45s and the hicap 40s pushed them off before they got very popular. When STI got thier 40 2011 approved a few started to show up. Then Benny kick started them with the fat free series and its been building every since then.--------------Larry

Edited by Larry White

Just keep doing the same thing you have always done, that way you are assured of accomplishing the same thing you always have.--------------Larry

Bravo! Way too much "follow the leader" these days in a sport built on innovation. I honestly didnt think that this would be such a religious subject.

Edited by ipscbob

I've shot 6" guns in both NRA and IPSC type competition. I've even shot some "Long, heavy slide" .45s in NRA competition. The longer sight radius does help you shoot more accurately. My 6" guns for IPSC were Pin Guns and therefore had more weight. In shooting IPSC type matches the only thing I noticed was there was less muzzle flip and rise with the 6" pin gun. I don't think that a longer sighted gun helped, or helps me a bit because of the distances involved and the large size of the target, except maybe for A/B shots at 25 yards and beyond.

At my current level (C class) I don't think that a 6" gun would help my scores any. Even if I was to go out and actually do a lot of practice shooting, I need to learn how to run faster and shoot faster. Being a moderately good bullseye shooter I shoot lots of A's, but I do it slowly (slower than I like or want).

MY 2 cents worth & why I started building them. I got old & so did my eyes. I found that the longer sight radius let me call my shots better along with better accuracy at tight shots & steel. It also shoots flater & softer with less powder for me. It is kinda like shooting a 16" AR with irons against a 20", everyone likes a 20" because of the sight radius, same reason. It might not be for everyone but there is a lot useing them & rarely see a used one for sale. The older GM's are going to them & winning, why, sight radius. TGO's eyes are getting older. Ask him why he changed.

It's no suprise that different folks have different imporessions of the various 5"/6" platforms available. This is why the best 'smiths will build them to a variety of weight/balance characteristics to suit differnt shooters preferences.

Being that there are so many options for setting up a new 6" limited gun, I wonder why some seem to advise that when a new platform feels awkward, and not-quite-right initially, to stick with it and give it some time. Why waste time tring to make it work? If the feel is "off" at the start, it will likely never feel as good as something that feels good initially - no matter how much time is spent with it. [i'd be suprised if anyone claimed that they tried a gun that felt awkward at first, but stuck with it for a few weeks and ended up shooting better with it than a previous gun that felt "right" from the start... ]

But I guess the real trick is to find a way to shoot a few mags through enough different guns to get a sense of what platform/setup feels the best...

Edited by Xfactor

You guys talk about shooting fads as if they're a bad thing. :D

I remember bell bottoms and long sideburns, I have tried to use alcohol over the years to kills those memories, but so far I have been unsuccessful. :angry2:

As is always the case, everything is cyclical. I think there will be an ebb and flow of 6" guns, but they are not going to go away.

Not STI's but still valid input for the question asked. I have shot Glocks 24, 35, 22, 34, and 17. I can see a difference in every half inch. I prefer the 24 over the 35 and the 22. I shoot it better, it's softer shooting, and more accurate. I prefer the 34 of the 17 for all the same reasons (in production). I have above average eye sight in both my right and left eyes, and the length difference still makes a difference.

My next limited gun will be a Benny Hill 6" fat free, period.