Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

tripp cobra mags vs. wilson etm

dagz

I have 9 - 8 round .45acpTripp mags . Had a minor hiccup with the very first one I bought and Virgil replaced it instantly. I've never had a magazine related hiccup.

Seth

My Tripp mags have been excellent. I did have a question once about 10mm mags-----------and Virgil himself answered it. That meant a lot to me. I had Wilson mags before Tripp's hit the market, I will always own Tripp magazines from now on.

Virgil was very helpful when I called not long ago. I was ordering his 10mm/40 mag and the newest version wasn't out yet...so he only had one of this particular model in stock. Unfortunately, while it works and runs in my gun just fine, it won't drop free with a nearly full mag. If you're shooting single stack and run the gun dry, but have a long distance to go, you can put a new mag in, drop the slide, drop that mag and then put a full one in so that you won't be going to slide lock on each array (and you'll have an insurance round. With the Tripp I found that the first round feeds and this pushes the second round forward in the feed lips enough to cause the mag to drag hard on the inside of the frame so it won't drop free. Wilson mags haven't shown that problem and are actually lighter than the Tripps...but I do love the Tripp follower and the ease of disassembly/cleaning. R,

i just picked up 3 8rd .45's with an experimental basepad to fit the techwells.....Virgil wasnt the happiest of the cosmetics of them but they work perfect.....i only put about 200rnds through em yester day but there was no malfunctions whatsoever and i realy like the finished product of the tubes...high polish and no external evidence of a weld....overall they seem to be the highest quality mag ive seen....i have however put wilson springs and followers in all my cmc powermags and those have worked pretty damn good sofar too

i just picked up 3 8rd .45's with an experimental basepad to fit the techwells.....Virgil wasnt the happiest of the cosmetics of them but they work perfect.....i only put about 200rnds through em yester day but there was no malfunctions whatsoever and i realy like the finished product of the tubes...high polish and no external evidence of a weld....overall they seem to be the highest quality mag ive seen....i have however put wilson springs and followers in all my cmc powermags and those have worked pretty damn good sofar too

Ray,

Will they drop free if you put the mag in, drop the slide and hit the mag release? R,

Ray,

Will they drop free if you put the mag in, drop the slide and hit the mag release? R,

G-man,

i took the three i had and loaded them up with some dummy rounds i had made. all three of them would drop with full mags...i then jacked a round and tried droppin the mag and reinserting and jackin a round and droping untill the mags were empty...no failures for the mag to fall free :) ....mebe he didnt have the 10/.40 exactly calibrated yet??

Ray,

G-man,

i took the three i had and loaded them up with some dummy rounds i had made. all three of them would drop with full mags...i then jacked a round and tried droppin the mag and reinserting and jackin a round and droping untill the mags were empty...no failures for the mag to fall free :) ....mebe he didnt have the 10/.40 exactly calibrated yet??

That's good to know. The 10/40 was under redesign when I got mine. I'm wondering if the longer .45 case just can't slide forward enough to cause that problem. I've got about 12 mags for SS now, but I'd be interested in trying the updated Tripp if I ever need more. I was caught waiting for the new basepad that works with the large Techwell, so maybe the updated tube with the longer basepad might be the way to go. R,

Hello: I have some Metalform Elite mags with the metal round top follower. The base pads say Metalform on one side and Cobramag on the other side. I think Metalform are making the mag bodies for both Wilson and Tripp. The followers are different though. The Metalforms work in both my 40 and 45 even though they are mage for 45's. Thanks, Eric

Will the experimental extended basepad fit in the box? I have been using the the 47DE's and have been happy, but now I find out I need to sand them all down...

Edited by bofe954

Virgil was very helpful when I called not long ago. I was ordering his 10mm/40 mag and the newest version wasn't out yet...so he only had one of this particular model in stock. Unfortunately, while it works and runs in my gun just fine, it won't drop free with a nearly full mag. If you're shooting single stack and run the gun dry, but have a long distance to go, you can put a new mag in, drop the slide, drop that mag and then put a full one in so that you won't be going to slide lock on each array (and you'll have an insurance round. With the Tripp I found that the first round feeds and this pushes the second round forward in the feed lips enough to cause the mag to drag hard on the inside of the frame so it won't drop free. Wilson mags haven't shown that problem and are actually lighter than the Tripps...but I do love the Tripp follower and the ease of disassembly/cleaning. R,

I've also got some Cobra mags for my .40 that I THOUGHT ran perfect, but, found out at a match that they hang up on the way out with rounds in them.

I've been meaning to look in to why, but, forgot all about it.

At least it's not just happening to me.

Will the experimental extended basepad fit in the box? I have been using the the 47DE's and have been happy, but now I find out I need to sand them all down...

ooooohhhh thats a good question....im still new to uspsa and only shoot at local level 1 matches so nobody realy cares too much about what ur doin or shooting with.....hhhhrrrrmmm...lets put it this way...with the medium thechwell wilson and cmc power mags with extended basepads fit about flush with the magwell...then with the bumper screwed on...it fits a full 1/2" below the magwell...dont know if that info helps any but thanx for bringin it up....mebe i can get some pics up

I use the Wilson 47D's with the long extended base pads, and quickly found out they would not fit in the USPSA box I built. <_<

It seems wrong to do it to a Wilson, but a quick trip to the belt sander will make them fit like a charm! B) You don't even notice it (or care) after the first few days.

I use the Wilson 47D's with the long extended base pads, and quickly found out they would not fit in the USPSA box I built. <_<

It seems wrong to do it to a Wilson, but a quick trip to the belt sander will make them fit like a charm! B) You don't even notice it (or care) after the first few days.

+1 that's exactly how I fixed mine....zip, zip, done.

ahhhh crapola....im pretty sure they wont work then if a wilson extended pad is too big....and im pretty computarted and cant seem to figure out to attach a pic :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

I have 8 Tripp .45 mags and 8 Tripp .40 mags.

When I want to order I deal directly with Shari. Anytime you can get personal service take advantage of it.

Besides that, the quality of thier mags is unmatched. Everytime someone loads a mag, they want to buy them from me.

I prefer the WIlson ETM mags. They have been the best mags I have tried so far. I have tried Tripp mags, Metalform Eliet mags, Chip Power Mags, ACT mags, and the old Wilson mags and the New ETM Wilson mags are by far the best 8 round mag I have tried.

pat