Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Open gun

pcschwenke

I have a lot of 38 super, 20 round magazines still in the wrapper I purchased many years ago because I wanted an open gun some day. Well 10+ years later, I may be ready. Since I already have 3 para ordnance guns laying around, a open gun is only a slide (with components), comped barrel, and ejector away. Should I build the gun on a para frame or should I sell the mags and go for a S_I body.

Best regards,

Paul S.

The only issue with a Para Open gun is getting big sticks. You have a couple choices... (1) Find the older STI for Para tubes. (2) Have two Para tubes welded up to make a big stick. (3) Get the mag catch that lets a Para use STI mags. (4) Alter the mag catch slot on STI tubes. (5) Order SPS tubes cut for a Para (not heard any feedback on this one).

Other than that a Para Open gun vs an STI Open gun is basically a matter of what you like.

:blush: A 170 mag is no problem in a para frame = the mag catch can be worked over to allow the para to use SVI

170 mags and the shorter ones.

I have the para frames cyro treated and it makes a real nice frame out of the Para`s.

Jim

Sailors :rolleyes::surprise:

Paul, if that is what you have, and what you want, go for it! Jim Anglin is a pretty busy man, but if I was to have an Open gun built, He is one of the first places I would stop....He knows Paras too!

DougC

Thanks for everyones response. I didn't realize I had so many options. Currently my 20 round mags are stock but, I have 3 California comp extensions which add 5-6 rounds of 38 super. They add 3 rounds of 45 acp to my others. My 5" hybrid par ordnance has been my unlimited gun but, the 18 round capacity has been a limitation. Many local matches have been 19-20 rounders and I need to reload usually once.

I have several gunsmith kit frames a couple limited paras. Not sure which to use yet. Most likely I'll build it myself. I've built 6 others from scratch in the past including a 6" longslide on a caspian barstock slide & frame and Schuemann AET bull barrel I use for PPC. This gun is incredible. I'm an engineer with a lot of machining experience and full machine shop at my fingertips.

Would the Schuemann AET Tribrid still be a good option or is there now better options? I don't think I'd have pople holes added.

Again, thanks to all the responses! This is the best site!

Paul

Thanks for everyones response. I didn't realize I had so many options. Currently my 20 round mags are stock but, I have 3 California comp extensions which add 5-6 rounds of 38 super. They add 3 rounds of 45 acp to my others. My 5" hybrid par ordnance has been my unlimited gun but, the 18 round capacity has been a limitation. Many local matches have been 19-20 rounders and I need to reload usually once.

I have several gunsmith kit frames a couple limited paras. Not sure which to use yet. Most likely I'll build it myself. I've built 6 others from scratch in the past including a 6" longslide on a caspian barstock slide & frame and Schuemann AET bull barrel I use for PPC. This gun is incredible. I'm an engineer with a lot of machining experience and full machine shop at my fingertips.

Would the Schuemann AET Tribrid still be a good option or is there now better options? I don't think I'd have pople holes added.

Again, thanks to all the responses! This is the best site!

Paul

These are my 2 para based open guns. The "twins"

TheTwinsRightSide.jpg

Sorry about the color.

The rear one uses a tribrid. Here is another view of that one:

leftside.jpg

The comp version is using a Kart barrel with the EGW comp. It shoots a bunch flatter than the hybrid. The hybrid is nice though since you can get away with a lot more tricks at matches since the RO doesn't want to stand near you! That sucker is LOUD! The hybrid gun will be going in for a slide lightening which should change the feel some. I just like the comp gun so much I have not shot the hybrid.

Later,

Chuck

Those are very nice looking guns. I love my comped 45 single stack very much. Infact, it is the gun I choose the most when the pressure is on. I may still go this way.

The sti-para triggers are the best and fully adjustable! I have those also! Much better than the dlask version I had.

Best regards,

Paul

I had a Para built from a Gunsmith frame kit back in 1995 as a 38 Super. It ran great and I liked it fine but got tired of the 38 super issues back with the 175 power factor. So I ended up shooting other guns most of the time.

Then 9 Major became the craze with the lower 165 PF. Since I have 9mm brass supplied for free, it was a no brainer. Rebarrelled with an STI Trubore S2 and it runs great. Actually better than when it was a Super because it feeds smoother. I have run the heck out of it the past few years and the only problems were with TX red dust or bad ammo.

I got a couple of basepads years ago that made my 45 Para mags hold 21. It is on my 9mm mags now and holds 28+1. Even with Dawson pads, the 9mm will easily hold 22+1. Nice thing about Para mags is they don't require the tuning or spacers the other guys mags need. Mine have all worked right out of the box.

Some have had issues with the dust cover cracking if you mount a C-More. Mine has had a C-More since day one and no cracks.

If you have a Para Gunsmith Frame kit, they are made of a much higher quality steeal and finishing process.

Indeed sir, I have one that I built my Standard gun(Frankenstuff) on and it is good quality, better(I feel than the whole Para guns).

Edited by Johann the Horrible

:blush: A 170 mag is no problem in a para frame = the mag catch can be worked over to allow the para to use SVI

170 mags and the shorter ones.

I have the para frames cyro treated and it makes a real nice frame out of the Para`s.

Jim

Sailors :rolleyes::surprise:

Are you sure about that, my Para kit does not accept SVI stuff. The mag body is to wide. Maybe it is just mine and it is pretty old.

Para changed the dimensions of the frame not sure when but there is an "Old Style" and a "New Style"

Yes there have been some differences in frame dimensions over the years.

My 45 was an original kit back in '92 and has a squared off grip.

My 9mm Open gun from a '95 kit is the newer slimmer and more rounded grip like the new ones.

I also have a P18 factory 9mm I got in '99.

The new 9mm nickel mags fit tighter in the Open gun than in the '99 frame. The older 38 super

mags from '95 don't work well with 9mm loads, even when loaded long for major 9. But the newer 9mm mags

work fine with both 9mm and 38 super loads. There is a minute difference in feed lip length between the old

38 super mags and newer 9mm with the 9mm being longer.

So there is some slight differences in the frames and mags over the years.

I do have a STI for Para 140 mm mag. It doesn't work as reliable as the factory Para mags. And it doesn't

hold any more bullets than the Para tube with Dawson base.

If you want a Para 9mm Open gun, I would either stick to Para mags or go SVI without the spacer

and have a modified mag release. STI tubes are more trouble, at least in my experience.

• 1 month later...
I do have a STI for Para 140 mm mag. It doesn't work as reliable as the factory Para mags.

I had problems with my STI-for-Para big stick initially. I finally sent it to Bevin for a tuneup. He said it was a little out of square. I had him do his full-house tune job on it and it has worked flawlessly since then.

As someone mentioned, you can have two of your Para mags cut & welded into one big stick. What wasn't mentioned is that this has the potential to hold more ammo than an STI/SV big stick. Like 32 or 33 rounds.