Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lapua brass

sideshowbob

It seems that Lapua is the gold standard of reloading brass for long range precision shooting. However, Lapua only makes certain calibers.

Surprisingly, they do not make brass for 260, despite its popularity in long range precision shooting. Why don't they make 260? Moreover, I am deciding what caliber for my next long range rifle. At first, the 260 was high on my list, but it seems that the lack of quality brass adds additional case prep time, and it is therefore no longer in consideration. I am aware that Nosler and Norma also make brass for the 260, but they are not always available.

I also find it interesting that they make 7.62x39 brass, rifles for this caliber are not necessarily known for their accuracy. Moreover, the 6.5 Grendel is currently available. I thought this round was relatively new, and the interest is yet to be established. I am surprised they make this over the 260.

In case anyone is interested, because of the brass issue, my caliber choices are 6.5x47 or 6.5x55.

it is very easy to make 260 brass out of 243 lapua brass, that is the route I go.

I heard that too, 243 Lapua "neck up" to 260 Rem.

Also, I remember listen to Taran Butler on Matt's Radio show and the same questions came up. Michael Voigt who is "known" for being one the best rifle shooters said is either 243 or 308. It depends what you want to do… If you want spend lots of time reloading do in 260, if you don’t care replacing barrels every 2,000 rounds or so get it in 243.

Edited by Sandro

it is very easy to make 260 brass out of 243 lapua brass, that is the route I go.

+1.

Lapua brass is a little expensive and I would think that if they did make for 260 it would be pricey. I have used REM brass with good sucess. With H4350 and Hornady 140 AMAX bullets I have been able to shoot groups under.3 at 100 yards and a little over .5 at 200 yards.

It seems that Lapua is the gold standard of reloading brass for long range precision shooting. However, Lapua only makes certain calibers.

Surprisingly, they do not make brass for 260, despite its popularity in long range precision shooting. Why don't they make 260? Moreover, I am deciding what caliber for my next long range rifle. At first, the 260 was high on my list, but it seems that the lack of quality brass adds additional case prep time, and it is therefore no longer in consideration. I am aware that Nosler and Norma also make brass for the 260, but they are not always available.

I also find it interesting that they make 7.62x39 brass, rifles for this caliber are not necessarily known for their accuracy. Moreover, the 6.5 Grendel is currently available. I thought this round was relatively new, and the interest is yet to be established. I am surprised they make this over the 260.

In case anyone is interested, because of the brass issue, my caliber choices are 6.5x47 or 6.5x55.

Most of the F-class shooters are now using 6.5X284 which I believe requires forming your own brass. It may require some work but should be worth it. Also either Remington orWinchester 260 brass should be goos also with just a little case prep.

Yes, Lapua brass cost more, but it is more consistent and saves a lot of prep work. Very easy to neck up the .243 to 6.5mm.

I supposed they don't make .260 remington,6.5-08 because 6.5x47 is a more efficent case or you jump up to the 6.5x55 or 6.5-284.

I never had any problems with Rem cases in 260. I figured if they were good enough for Black Hills, they were good enough for me.

Supply does get tight from time to time but if you get 500 at a time, you should be OK.

• 4 months later...

I have had excellent luck with Remington brass as well. I anneal the case neck myself by chucking a long screwdriver shank in a cordless, variable speed drill. Slip the case mouth over the shank and revolve it slowly with the drill while hitting the neck area with a propane torch for about 10 seconds. I then place them on a metal cookie sheet and let them air cool. After treatment by this method they will reload as many times as a Lapua case. If you take the time to sort them by weight, your loads will match anything put together with Lapua. I don't know where you are from but Cabela's usually has Remington brass on hand. If they're out they restock quickly. I can't say that about Sportsmans Warehouse. When they run out, they seem to stay out Bill T.

Edited by Bill T

I'm building a new gun and I am having the same problem deciding what caliber. 6.5x47= great brass and factory ammo that is good. so just buy some and shoot. or. 260 Remington= not great brass almost no factory ammo and a little long to "chase the lands" as you shoot the gun. or. 6.5 Creedmor= more case capacity than 6.5x47, not great brass but factory ammo, so just buy some and shoot. If I do go with the 260 I will make it an AI because if I'm going to do all the case prep I better get all the performance I can out of it.

Scott

Why don't you contact them and ask? Then when you get the answer, you can post it here.

Are you referring to the 6.5x47 Lapua? Very cool. And the 6.5x55, another great choice.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek072.html

I do like the 260 but Norma is about the only decent/ready brass I am familiar with. I have not run across any Nosler. WW seems to be able to be set up OK. Rem brass, is not the first choice for me.

The problem with the 6.5x55 is that you need a long action. Remember it won't fit in a 308 action, it requires a 30-06 length action. That is why the 6.5x284 is so popular, it will fit in the 308 length action and has the powder capacity (well more) of the 6.5x55. And you did not tell us what action it's going in. If you have a long action you have allot more choices like the 6.5x06 and some wildcats off the win mag cartridges.

Scott

• 5 weeks later...

Terry Cross doesn't seem to have a problem with Remington brass in his .260 and .260 AI and he is one of the more successful shooters of the past decade and it is his caliber of choice. It does leave a little to the .243, but as noted earlier bbl life is shorter lived in the .243.

I am building a 7-08 right now to launch the 162 AMAX at 2750 fps. I'll use .308 Lapua brass necked down. I'll probably turn the necks down a little bit and then size them down so it's not too thick. I've done the .260 route. My rifle did not care for the Blackhills ammo and the .243 brass necked up caused "doughnuts" that were a real PITA. Remington seemed to work really well with the proper brass prep.

Here's the article about him and his process from 6BR.com:

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek046.html

• 2 months later...

I've used both Remington and necked up Lapua 243 for my 260 Remington. Doesn't make any difference re accuracy, Lapua brass has lasted longer making it worth the extra $ to buy and neck up.