Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major loads for OPEN class

MattBurkett

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bill, John, and Chris, thanks for the help. Think I will get a pound of the HS7 tomorrow.

Chris,

Yeah, I am going to be trying out the 9major for the next couple of months and see if it will work out well. Nice thing is that brass costs me $1.75 a thousand!

:-)

Take care,

Matt, I'm still working on some loads for a customer's new major 9 STI. I'm using HS-6 in the 8.8 range and making major with a 5.25 in. comp gun. I would suggest going to a 115 bullet and loading in the 1.175 to 1.195 OAL range. hollow points group nice, however round nose are easier to get the correct OAL. Try some 115's and you'll never shoot 124 or 125's again.

rkgs,

I was thinking that the OAL would be easier to achieve with a 124/125 and that less powder would be necessary to make major. What have you seen as far as the shootability difference in 9mm with a 115 vs. a 124?

Take care,

Matt,

I hope the following loads will give you a good starting point.

1. SPS open gun ( 4 hibrid ports, 5 ported comp, 8# spring) Remington brass, WSPM primer, 124 gr PMC FMJ, OAL: 1.220

- 3N37: 8.2-8.4gr, PF: 169-173

- Vectan SP2: 9,2gr, PF: 168-170

2. SVI open (4 hibrid ports, Venturi effect SVI comp)

- 3N37: 7.8gr, PF 165-167

- SP2: 9.0gr, PF 162-166

- 3N38: 9.2gr, PF 163-165

I have experienced less muzzle flip with 3N38 and SP2 but SP2 meters badly from my D650. I never had any problems with 3N37 but it produced some "double ignitions" in my friend's gun. I use EGW 9x19 resizing dies and abandon brass after 3rd-4th reload.

115gr bullets produced less flip for me but as you can't make major under 120gr here in Europe I don't use them any more.

DVC!

Klev

Pat, umm, yes to both questions. Just kidding. :-)

Its a redesign of the IMM Burkett Open. Most stuff will stay the same, but, there will be a redesign on the compensation system.

Klev, sounds like SP2 is pretty cool. I don't think that we can get it here in the US anymore. I can't stand the "secondary" ignitions from the 3N37. Drives me nutz. Gun recoils differently when you have that happen and it becomes almost impossible to time correctly.

Thanks,

Matt,

IMHO 3N38 is as good as SP2. Moreover, SP2 always mess up my D650 because of its small grain size (I hate cleaning). Now I only use 3N38.

One more idea: my "all-time" favourite powder used to be WAP. As far as I know Ramshot still produce it under a different name (it might be all wrong). If it's true You might give it a try.

Klev

Quote: from Klev on 3:35 pm on Jan. 12, 2003

Matt,

IMHO 3N38 is as good as SP2. Moreover, SP2 always mess up my D650 because of its small grain size (I hate cleaning). Now I only use 3N38.

Klev

So I understand that 3n38 is as good as sp2, but if you really wanted to use sp2, Arredondo makes a plastic slide bar for Dillon presses that is specifically designed to work with Vectan sp2.

Not to drift too much off topic here, but I am use 3n37 and don't know what you mean about "double ignition".  Do all guns do it with that powder?  And what would it look like to know if it was happening?  Is it dangerous or just a nuisance?

3N37 has a tendancy to leave unburnt powder in the comp. After a bit build up it will be fired off by another shot, some happen every couple of shots, some may go three, four or more. My p-9 used to to that, but the last three guns I have had all shot perfectly consistantly. If Matt or Chriss remembers the IMM I was shooting at the 2001 US Nationals was loaded with 3N37 and it gave off a great big flame, but did so on every shot.

Carlos, your right on the money.

BTW the secondary iginition is way more obvious when you are a spectator than actually shooting. (Part of the reason is that most shooters have their eyes closed when the gun goes off anyways. :-P )

3n37 is the worst at getting the S.I.'s out there! I have also seen it with old #7 in some comp designs.

Matt,

In regards to the 115's and 124's in Canada, we too can use the 115's and I love how the gun feels. I am shooting 9x21, and am planning on a 9x19(for cost) on a Tanfoglio gun. I use HS6 and HS7, they both work great! I love the HS6 behind a 115, it tracks good, the dot snaps back so quick! The 124's are good too, a little softer in the recoil dept, with slightly (not much though)more flip. It's really interesting to see a top shooter going this route, you should keep us posted. Oh and the HS7 is good too, but I'm loading to a shorter length, so it's tricky to get the powder in without compressing too much. Good luck.

Hey Matt....

I am currently building a 9mm Major open gun and like 8.2 grs of N350 behind a 124/125 grain bullet, loaded to 1.160.  I know it seems short, I have played around with longer with no problems either.  The true test will be soon, when the gun is almost complete.  May end up loading longer, depends on how the commander length slide works with the longer oal.  Want to try some HS7 and 3N38.

Matt:

I used 9.1 HS-7 various 9mm cases at 1.175 oal

ave 1334-i dont have any problem with feeding

Ive used some loads that I loaded in 1994 at

1.115 feed just fine Im shooting an STI 5" with

a Schuemann  classic barrel with a brazos comp,

the short one.If ya do the math  titegroup looks

like a good powder-Ive got some loaded but

the weather is too cold for me right now to go out

to the range.Wil Schuemann is making some 9mm

Hybred barrels in commander length for some of us

that are trying 9mm should get one in two or  three

weeks -He is having them hardend right now.

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

Matt:

I used 9.1 HS-7 various 9mm cases at 1.175 oal

ave 1334-i dont have any problem with feeding

Ive used some loads that I loaded in 1994 at

1.115 feed just fine Im shooting an STI 5" with

a Schuemann  classic barrel with a brazos comp,

the short one.If ya do the math  titegroup looks

like a good powder-Ive got some loaded but

the weather is too cold for me right now to go out

to the range.Wil Schuemann is making some 9mm

Hybred barrels in commander length for some of us

that are trying 9mm should get one in two or  three

weeks -He is having them hardend right now.Im

using 124 ZERO fmj.

Jim Anglin

Sailors Custom Pistols

Matt, sorry for the delay. I'm using RN 115 gr. ZERO'S. They measure the same as the 125's (the length comes off the back end.) If your going to try and stretch a flat point ( for OAL) your going to have to throat the barrel. The bullet will not chamber if too much is sticking out of the case. I can't tell you how much that is because it's different with each brand. The round nose style seems the most forgiving. I also found the 115 ZERO hollow point to be usable also. I have not experienced problems with short rounds, and the guns I have will shoot factory 9mm rounds with a 8lb. spring and a 4 port comp.  Hope this helps.