Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why not a MAK repeater as a budget MOR/Tactical Rifle?

atek3

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&...93&t=511839

Seems to me that one of those plus a bipod and aftermarket trigger would be a very solid rifle for MOR/Tactical. Very accurate, takes AICS mags, uses interchangable parts with Rem 700, has very similar ergos to the AR-15, any ideas? Rebarrelling to 260 is easy.

atek3

Parts are interchangeable with a Rem 700, because that's the action used for it. Some folks are leary of gluing in an action too.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&...93&t=511839

Seems to me that one of those plus a bipod and aftermarket trigger would be a very solid rifle for MOR/Tactical. Very accurate, takes AICS mags, uses interchangable parts with Rem 700, has very similar ergos to the AR-15, any ideas? Rebarrelling to 260 is easy.

atek3

Parts are interchangeable with a Rem 700, because that's the action used for it. Some folks are leary of gluing in an action too.

what's the matter with epoxying in an action?

I would suggest that the fact that the receiver has to be epoxied in is a definite negative compared to the AICS system. The AICS is pretty much a turn the two screws and shoot. Different barrels and different actions can be put in the stock with no changes or tuning. I like the looks of the system better than the AICS but IMO it appears to require a hell of a lot more work to get it shooting....? :mellow: Am I missing something?

I would suggest that the fact that the receiver has to be epoxied in is a definite negative compared to the AICS system. The AICS is pretty much a turn the two screws and shoot. Different barrels and different actions can be put in the stock with no changes or tuning. I like the looks of the system better than the AICS but IMO it appears to require a hell of a lot more work to get it shooting....? :mellow: Am I missing something?

from what I gather, putting in different actions might be tough, but putting in different barrels is apparently very straightforward. Basically you remove the handguard, install an action wrench, and unscrew the barrel.

atek3

The system is made for a Remington 700 Short Action, or an action with a similar contour. Kevin McDonald emailed me that you can bolt it in, but, you need a circular recoil lug, ie precision ground washer. The highpower shooters just glue them in.

Merlin, benchrest shooters use glue ins. They change barrels all the time, even during the matches.

I had a chance to play with one that a highpower shooter was selling. They look COOL, but like it was posted it has to be glued in.

I myself would spend the money and go with the AICS. Just my 2 cents on the deal. B)

The first time I ever set my Benny Barrelled Action in my AICS stock it shot .2s with the first load I tried in it. THe tuning consisted of twisting an allen wrench in two bolts till I had a little white under the thumbnail.... Benny said that looks good and away it went to shoot better than any gun I have ever built for myself...

It's just so Damned Fugly.....

I think I might just have to find myself one of those stocks and see for myself... :)

I myself would spend the money and go with the AICS.

I don't know nuthin' about the MAK, but I know that I have less than $2k in my AICS

-- AICS stock (about $800)

-- Rem-700 PSS 5R rifle, complete (Mike Rock 24" stainless barrel) (about $600)

-- (sold off the synthetic stock... so net cost was about $100 less than that)

-- Action work, cryo and blended muzzle brake done by JP, about $500

net result, a way-more-accurate-than-I-can-take-advantage-of rifle... for about $1800, plus glass.

$.02

B