Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last of the Mohicans

carinab

At least that's what Cora says. :D After watching Sharyn's Florida Open video (the music was from the Mohican sound track), I decided I needed to watch this film again. I hadn't seen it since it was out in the theaters. I rented the director's cut on DVD. Well, I was a bit disappointed. The theater version is more stirring to me actually. I read somewhere it was originally a three hour movie and was cut down to two hours for the theater. The director's cut is barely minutes longer and all I find is that more scenes are missing. I somehow was under the impression there were more goings on between Hawkeye and Cora....at the waterfall and in the forest. Still an amazing film but it's more action than romance in the director's cut.

Edited by carinab

There was a great line in the original that's been cut from every dvd version I've seen. It's from the scene with Cora and Hawkeye on watch in the forest. Hawkeye says (speaking of the english and the french both) "They are a bread apart and make no sense."

Great Movie.

It is a good movie, and a movie thing my Dad pointed out to me about 25 years ago was, many movies hit at a point in your life that, that latter change completely when you see them again.

What your memory and brain did was fill in the gaps in the movie with what was "imply ed to have happened" with how YOU viewed / interpreted the movie-"At that time in your life". ... Like and old High school flame When you see them years latter - yech-.

It end up as an interesting study of human thoughts and memories.

My Dad used the -old- movie Dr Zavago = The Dr character ends up leaving his young wife in the frozen forest cottage to go to town and fool around with the Blond -Laura-

The way I looked at it as young married man = that left us feeling "What a bastard" and thin the Revolutionist grab him on the way home, and his wife never knows what happens. this Dr Z is a total sob in a bad way sob

Later in life my dad says he looked at it different and he completely understood the DR Z motivation.

Its funny to with some of the Old Romantic Black & wight movies ...We find out now that homosexuals wrote them.

With the stuff that Truman Capote wrote

It would be funny to see The last of the Mohecians after whatching the new movie ="Their Will Be Blood"

Edited by AlamoShooter

There was a great line in the original that's been cut from every dvd version I've seen. It's from the scene with Cora and Hawkeye on watch in the forest. Hawkeye says (speaking of the english and the french both) "They are a bread apart and make no sense."

Great Movie.

The line is in my VHS version . . . :)

I actually use some clips from this film in teaching my U.S. Government class. A series of scenes early on demonstrate the contrast between the social / political /cultural structure of England versus the rugged independence of the colonial frontier settler, including the scene referenced by Blockhead. My favorite scene is shortly after Hawkeye (Nathaniel), et al, rescue the British unit from the war party near the beginning of the film. Hawkeye is leading Major Heyward, Cora and Alice Munro to the fort (name?) where Col. Munro is under siege. Heyworth can't figure out what unit (regular army or militia) Nathaniel is with because as a loyal subject of the crown he is surely involved with the war. Finally, Heyward asks "How is it that you are headed west to Kentucky when there is a war on." Nathaniel's response: "Well, you kinda face north and then real sudden like, turn left."

I have both cuts on DVD. I believe the initial DVD was the same as Mr Ball's VHS tape. About a year ago, I bought the Director's cut. There parts added are good, but the parts removed were good too. I would love to have a 3 hour version of this movie. Regardless, it's a Michael Mann film. He just makes good movies.

Magua had great lines.

"Magua understand white man is a dog to his women. When they want to eat he puts down his tomahawk to feed their laziness."

"When the gray hair is dead, Magua will eat his heart. Before he dies Magua will put his children under the knife, so the gray hair will know his seed is wiped out forever."

slight drift

While watching "The Gangs of New York" this weekend I noticed in the Special Features portion a mention that they had drawn Danial Day-Lewis out of semi-retirement to do that movie. It turns out that when not making movies he prefers to be employed as a cobbler in Florence, Italy.

Slight drift Off

• 2 months later...