Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Should I jump from the Empire State Building?

xuxupecheur

I've recently gotten a near mint Stainless Gold Match Pre Series II. It came with a 7 round magazine made by God knows who. It worked flawlessly with 7+1. I tried to make it jam and couldn't despite shooting it gangster style weak handed, limp wristing strong handed, you name it with both factory WWB and reloads (RN Rainiers).

Sure enough, I had an S&A magwell installed, changed front sight to a Dawson FO, and ordered 5 Wilson 47D mags.

Today at the range, disaster, FTF, FTL, had to really slam mags in. It just would not function reliably. Took it home, cleaned it (I had not done it through 300 rounds) and meantime left all five new mags loaded with eight round to hopefully set mag springs.

In sum, I know the topic must have been covered million times but what would you recommend? Jumping from the Empire State Building is not an alternative. But I wouldn't say it's not a big deal either. I want this thing to function properly. Do mags also need to be broken in? Any experience with Rainiers, Berrys, etc. What else is common in this cases?

Thanks,

Julio

Not to be cold hearted but never shoot a match with an untested combination......

Pull the slide back and lock it. Insert the new mags one at a time and let the slide down slowly to see if there is interference with the mag and the bottom of the slid.

Check the bumpers on the mags to see if they interfere with the magwell and prevent full and proper insertion.

Check the feed lips of the mags and make sure they are not set too tightly.

If this does not fix (or at least expose) the problem send me the gun and I will get the check in the mail to you for $200.00. :)

I ask you...Just what part of my answer is not good advise? :closedeyes:

IMO - rather than push a near suicidal shooter over the precipice I feel that I - a friend to all that would shoot a single stack - should offer something to salve the pain of a poor investment (a Kimber). In this case it was $200.00.... :cheers:

Couple of questions

1. Did that first mag you had also jam at the range

2. Do you have bumper pads on the mags?? With the mag well its going to be hard to get those mags all the way up. Just making sure your seating them

all the way.

Flyin

I ask you...Just what part of my answer is not good advise? :closedeyes:

IMO - rather than push a near suicidal shooter over the precipice I feel that I - a friend to all that would shoot a single stack - should offer something to salve the pain of a poor investment (a Kimber). In this case it was $200.00.... :cheers:

Julio,

Ask Merlin to throw in a VibraPrime...

They fail to go into battery.

As I said, I've gotten over jumping from the ESB. I loaded mags with 8 rounds, will wait one week or so and then try with factory WWB and reloads. Magwell is well seated, does not interfere.

Edited by xuxupecheur

Before you changed the mainspring housing, FO front site, and mags, everything worked fine... Assuming the S&A mainspring housing is fine, then the problem would most likely be mag related.

Pull the top end off, insert both a 47D and the old mag in with a dummy round in them and measure from the top of the dummy round to the frame to see if they are both presenting rounds the same way.

I always let my mags sit fully loaded for a few days before use.

Julio,

Seating a 8 round mag is going to take more effort than seating an old 7 rounder. Don't know what else to say about that. As for the malfunctions, if you have a shock buffer in the gun, take it out and try the mags again.

Later,

Chuck

They fail to go into battery.

Could be the feed lips are tight or sharp at the front hanging onto the brass. When I get new mags, I take a small file and smooth the inner sharp edges of the feed lips that ride against the brass.

As dangerous as this sounds: I would take the firing pin out and then hand cycle live ammo slowly up, in and out and get a feel for any place that is "hanging up" or reluctant. I have always been able to find the point of the loading cycle that is hanging up using that. Obviously, you have to be careful cycling live ammo.

Your extractor could also be a shade tight if the slide is stopping where right after the round feeds up under the hook.

Not trying to be a Richard Cranium or anything, but I have had enough problems with Wilson mags that I run CMC Power Mags exclusively now in 8 and 10 rounders. I have a bucket full (literally) of GI 7 rounders that run great too. The CMC mags aren't without issues completely, but have been the best that I have used.

Borrow some mags from buddies in the area, if the gun takes off running buy that type of magazines. Single stack mags are cheap and readily available, they aren't worth fighting with.

Not trying to be a Richard Cranium or anything,

OK, I LMAO after doing a double take on that one. :P The levity was needed here, intentional or not.

I started with CMC 8 rounders and have had 0 issues as long as I keep them clean and replace springs as they wear. If it ain't broke, I ain't fixing it.

Dave: I still love my revos which is what I shoot more often, but also enjoy my Glocks and 1911.

The bottom line is this. Cleaned gun and will hit the range this morning. I may purchase a CMC or a factory Kimber 8 rounder, factory ammo, reloads, etc.

I'll give you report later on.

I just though I would share this before you go shopping. CMC mags has this endearing trait of allowing the follower to shift slightly forward after the last round departs the mag. The follower drags on the mag well and will not drop free. There is nothing more satisfying than driving the empty mag back into the gun with the full one! I have had this happen with the chip-like 7 rounders that come with the SA single stack, the CMC 8 and 10 rounders. A while back we were having the tastes great - less filling discussion at a match where my friend John stated that he never had problems with CMC mags. The very next stage, the empty mag hung up in the magwell. Keep the Wilsons clean and the springs healthy, they work fine.

I know that this does not solve your issue but I just wanted to share a possible problem you may have if you try to solve the gun bug by shopping.

Good luck with your issue and if you decide those Wilson mags are POS, I will be happy to send you a self-addressed stamped box so you can get rid of them!

Later,

Chuck

Went to the range this morning and things seem to be developing the way I thought they would.

First, magazines I had left loaded are getting in better, not perfect but much better. I think one more week of the same treatment and the spring will settle in enough for the mags to go in effortlessly.

The gun seems to like Berrys better than Rainiers. Fewer FTF ocurred with Berrys, none with factory American Eagle.

One last thing: I had one FTE with the loaded down Rainier. Perhaps, a 14 or 15lb. recoil spring will take care of this issue. And it needs to be solved, since I'll be shooting mostly reloads at around 170,000 PF.

It snowing in NJ but sun shines within. No more jumping from ESB until next FTF anyway.

THAT'S WHY I LIKE REVOLVERS.

I think kimber makes a fine 1911; their mags on the other hand..... <_<. I had some problems with the 1st 25 rds with new wilsons. I had zero malfunctions with chips and mec-gars or metalforms. My wilsons work perfectly now.. gonna go knock on wood after my last statement :blink: now, you are having success w factory ammo. Do you think your reloads OAL might be a little long. HSmith and I spoke on the phone about this when I realized my overall length was WAY longer than the recommended length so I bought a competition seating die and solved the problem.

Edited by SV_shooter

I think kimber makes a fine 1911; their mags on the other hand..... <_<. I had some problems with the 1st 25 rds with new wilsons. I had zero malfunctions with chips and mec-gars or metalforms. My wilsons work perfectly now.. gonna go knock on wood after my last statement :blink: