Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I think Tom Petty is lobotomized

chp5

Petty is one of those successful second generation rockers who did end up being very successful. I had the pleasure of promoting his music to radio outlets in the late 1970s and we gathered him some momentum. He took off like a shot a little later.

The SuperBowl audience seemed to love the hell outa him, and the show was smooth. It's to be expected that he play some of his more popular hit singles or whatever, but I saw no gaffs or screw-ups or faded glory. The band sounded great and Tom seemed to be enjoying himself. For pete's sake, he's nearly as old as I am--cut him some slack. From my earlier perspective, he never seemed to be suffering from mental numbness. He's just understated and always has been. He was, as we knew then him, a rather modest and humble sort of dude. But successful.

post-1852-1202088209.jpg

Never forget an interview I heard of him. When asked about how he got started or whatever, he said "well, when I was a teenager I was just as ugly then as I am now. I started playing guitar so I could get dates with girls. And, well, here I am." Classic! lol

Another tidbit from Tom was that he wanted the guitars on his first few records to sound like the guitars he heard when he listened to the Byrds. I can really hear it on those first records. Tom plays straight-up R&R. good groove, and pretty solid. No complaints here.

He looks good and sounded good.

I thought he sounded great. I was kicking myself because I forgot to VCR tape the music so I could clean up the songs and make MP3 tracks for my IPOD.

Not that I would ever record transmitted music and replay it in a form which is not identical to the original.....

because that would be both illegal and wrong.

Edited by bountyhunter

No offense to the Tom Petty fans . . .

You're Gonna Get It!

If the world didn't know before what a great guitarist Mike Campbell is....they're gonna know now!

Somehow I think that Howie would have enjoyed this.

Edited by SteveZ

Didn't Tom Petty, Mark Nofler(sp), Bob Dillion, Roy Orbison and George harrison for a band called "What he say?" oh wait that might have been the Traveling Wilburys

Edited by Pigdawg