Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

The BOX

open17

Under the new USPSA Blue Book rules, Single Stack and Production guns are

required to fit in a box. The box is not the IPSC box, but rather the IDPA box.

Reason given last year for choosing this box was it's low cost ($15) and easy

availability. SO---I can't find the darned thing on the IDPA site, or anywhere

else! Anybody got a link to an online source for "THE BOX"??

No----I don't have any desire to "build one". For $15 it's a lot more cost

effective to just buy it.

Bill

For what it's worth, I have been talking with my Area Director about this and a scale and the mag guage.

He told me that it was discussed at the Board meeting last weekend and USPSA intends to have boxes, a scale, with check weight, as well as the mag guage available thru the USPSA Store. They are currently in the process of selecting a vendor to build the boxes and selecting a scale. I don't have any idea as to a timeline for availability.

I didnt have any desire to build one either, but it's a lot more cost effective to build one, than to go to a major match without checking your gun & mags 1st (remember to insert an empty mag first). I found out I had to modify my Wilson base pads to make them legal <_<

It's 6" x 9" how hard could it be ?

I wonder if you could find a picture frame that's already an exact 6" x 9" and try that ?

Edited by CHRIS KEEN

I didnt have any desire to build one either, but it's a lot more cost effective to build one, than to go to a major match without checking your gun & mags 1st (remember to insert an empty mag first). I found out I had to modify my Wilson base pads to make them legal <_<

It's 6" x 9" how hard could it be ?

I wonder if you could find a picture frame that's already and exact 6" x 9" and try that ?

Chris,

Brilliant!

Open17 Go to a picture frame shop and have them make you one...

Dimensions from the rule book:

Yes, handgun with empty magazine

inserted must fit wholly within a box

with internal dimensions of 8 15/16” x

6” x 1 5/8” (tolerance +1/16”, -0”)

(8.938” x 6” x 1.625”) (227.01mm x

152.40mm x 41.28mm)

I would want a box that was the maximum allowable.

That looks like 9" x 6 1/16" X 1 11/16"

Brilliant!

Open17 Go to a picture frame shop and have them make you one...

Sure. The last custom framing job I had done was close to $70. That was a little bigger than

6x9, and it did include the mat, but $15 for a readymade box still sounds better. I've got the

equipment to build one, just lacking the desire. Much rather fiddle with stuff that goes bang

in my spare time.

Emailed IDPA for price/availability info on buying a box. Got this back.

Failed Recipient: info@idpa.com

Reason: Recipient spam or content filter rejected the message

I feel somehow----offended------ <_<

Bill

Our box is not exactly the IDPA box anymore. It is slightly longer, but the same in the other two dimensions The IDPA box is however a good go/no go guage. If it will fit in the IDPA box it will for sure fit in the USPSA box.

Gary

Gary,

Are existing clubs going to be sent this box to measure all of the ss and production guns shot in matches at their location?

Our box is not exactly the IDPA box anymore. It is slightly longer, but the same in the other two dimensions The IDPA box is however a good go/no go guage. If it will fit in the IDPA box it will for sure fit in the USPSA box.

Gary

[/quote

Well---Heck. I need to pay better attention. I thought our box WAS the IDPA box.

Especially after this reply from our President on 12/28/06:

The USPSA/IDPA box was brought into play for many of the reasons already discussed:

* To the best of our knowledge, all currently legal USPSA Production pistols fit

* The IDPA box already exists, is readily available and INEXPENSIVE

* Having one box makes sense from an ease of enforcement standpoint

* Using the IDPA box dimensions allows many shooters to compete in both sports with the same equipment

* The box is one of several criteria to be considered for approval

* Manufacturers need to know if a new pistol may be considered for approval

* The box appears to be generous in size for real world working pistols

MV

SO---now we have a box of our own. Different from the IDPA, SSC and IPSC boxes. A rule book that

says all guns in two divisions have to fit in the box, and no source for an official box.

Bill.---Headed for the shop to reload some ammo. Shaking head and mumbling mild curses.

Taken right from that pretty blue book you all were sent, 8 15/16 x 6 x 1 5/8 (+ 1/16 inch variance)

We are working on the logisical issues even as we speak.

Much like a chronograph, if one is not used, then there is no PF issue.

If a mag guage is not used, then there is no magazine length issue.

If a box is not used, then there is no size issue.

If a scale is not used, then there is no weight issue.

I would imagine that larger matches will make these testing items available as we progress into the shooting year.

Gary

Taken right from that pretty blue book you all were sent, 8 15/16 x 6 x 1 5/8 (+ 1/16 inch variance)

Gary, MV made a pretty persuasive arguement for the IDPA box in the above quote. Available,

inexpensive, useful to attract crossover shooters etc. Had me convinced that if a box were needed

the IDPA box was the way to go!

Just curious---what was the reason we DIDN'T adopt the IDPA box? What was the issue

that prompted the adoption of a box identical to the IDPA box in height and depth, but

3/16" longer?

We found that at least one factory produced 1911 had a little difficulty fitting into the IDPA box due to the combination of beavertail and barrel. It was something that could be easily fixed with a little grinding on the beavertail, but I know if I had just bought a new blaster I wouldn't want to take a dremmel to it first thing. My goal was to get as many 1911's into the game as possible and opening up the box 3/16 seemed to be a good way to do it.

As I said before the IDPA box can be used as a go/no go guage. If it fits in the IDPA box you are good to go with the USPSA box.

Gary

As I said before the IDPA box can be used as a go/no go guage. If it fits in the IDPA box you are good to go with the USPSA box.

Gary

You really mean as a go gauge, right? Because if it fits, it's definitely good to go, if it doesn't -- and it's close -- it might still fit in the official USPSA box......

Also -- when the box addition to the production list was proposed, someone (and I think it was Amidon, but I'm not sure I remember that correctly) opined that the box was only designed to make it easy for manufacturers to figure out if their new design was likely to be approved for Production. The up shot of that was to be that matches wouldn't need to check Production guns in a box, but would need to reference the list....

Hi Nik,

Well yes and no. The USPSA box is only different in one dimension, so the gun still has to fit in the other two. If it fits in the IDPA box all is well. If it does not fit in the IDPA box due to length, it still might fit in the USPSA box.

Six of one, half dozen of the other I guess.

The box has already been used in Single Stack, or perhaps it is only me who get's checked at each match :surprise:

I feel I might have a bounty on my head. :rolleyes:

Edited by Gary Stevens