Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Training

el pres

What do the top dogs do for rifle training? I'm looking for dryfire and livefire drills and techniques.

Right now I train with my rifle as with the pistol, dryfire at stationary reduced targets and livefire

drills practicing target transitions and gun mounting.

I dont feel I'm getting as much from the dryfire as with a pistol. I have the Burkett video and followed

his recomendations. Any rifle specific techniques, drills?

I like to practice rifle just like your avitar is practicing :cheers:

I shoot MGM flash targets from 150-300 in random order from any position but prone. I do Rifle bounces at 200 and 300, and I do a bit of cqb stuff. I never do any dry practice except for mag changes...oh yea I also shoot for group from sitting and from prone at 200 and 300 depending on the day and how I feel! I limit my rifle practice to no more than 90 rounds per time I go.

Now the real practice is on Coyotes and targets of opportunity while enjoying the great out doors!

I like to practice rifle just like your avitar is practicing :cheers:

I shoot MGM flash targets from 150-300 in random order from any position but prone. I do Rifle bounces at 200 and 300, and I do a bit of cqb stuff. I never do any dry practice except for mag changes...oh yea I also shoot for group from sitting and from prone at 200 and 300 depending on the day and how I feel! I limit my rifle practice to no more than 90 rounds per time I go.

Now the real practice is on Coyotes and targets of opportunity while enjoying the great out doors!

What do you call Rifle Bounces?

I have 200 yards to practice on. I'm working on 8 inch plates from all positions. I use a three teir Baricade I move around, I need prone work as well.

Jim M ammo

Kurt doesn't practice prone because it's to hard to get up. :surprise: Really because he doesn't need to.

Practice monopoding and shooting from unusual positions. Also try weak side, nondominate eye around barricades. Just like pistol, be able to call your shots. This really helps with transitions and speeds up those distance engagements. KNOW your zero and aiming points for any distance out to 400 yd. Every night before you go to sleep repeat 3 times: I love my rifle, I love my rifle, I love my rifle. Keith

I only shoot 90 rounds in practice because that is all I can fit into the 3 30 rounders I take to the range ( I never shoot the 4thone as that is Coyotes and stuff after shooting at the range). I shoot about 60 rounds at long range and expend 30 on CQB. If you take much more you will just shoot them in CQB which is fun, but the least useful for your rifle training.

A Rifle Bounce: 3 boxes 1 yard apart. two targets 3 yards apart, two shots each from each position, virginia count. First box any shooting position but sitting or prone, second shooting box any postion except prone and the last box any position. Throw in a mandatory reload from 2-3. NO supports like walls, barrels, backpacks, etc. If you can do this in the mid 30s with mostly As you are doing great! I have posted this several times in this very forum!

Another great one is a down/up one target one box one shot per position first shot off hand, next kneeling, sitting, prone/prone, sitting, kneeling, standing. mag change from prone. 8 rounds virginia count

Whats to be cautious about. I reall do use live ammo for shotgun reloading practice at home, I really do hate BIG bolt handles, I really don't like mag cinches of any kind, I really do hate pistol grips on shotguns, I really do think Iron sights are as fast as optics in many cases, and nothing beats iron sights up close. All the times I post are the times I can do on demand, and all have been witnessed. The things to be cautious of would be my home made apple cider, my home made dark beer ( who would have thought that beer that smooth would be 12% alcohol? ) and anytime I say, no I don't think thats very hot, just a little spicy....cause "I" don't think that its hot

Not that stuff, I'm cautious of your humor!! :P

We all wait for you to awnser the rifle questions!!

Thats good stuff, as soon as it warms up a little , but too much (stuck in mud) I'm

going to try these drills. Thankyou!

I like smooth beer @ 12% !! Would'nt that be wine??

Come on now that Cider/Beer/Hot thang WAS funny!! :lol:

With beers they are called stouts! There is a Russian Imperial Stout that goes about 18%. BTW NONE of my home brewed stuff requiers a "large handled" bottle opener to enjoy. :cheers:

Trapmeister, that thing is so flimsy it will either break or fly off the bottle cap, just like any big "handle" It is just for looking good! and it sounds great. BUT like the things I listed it is all show and no substance....did I mention I hate big bolt handles?? :devil:

One thing I forgot to mention in the down/up. It is a 1 minute time limit, and when you start getting good at it try it on your flash targets at 200yds KURTM

Come on now that Cider/Beer/Hot thang WAS funny!! :lol:

There is a Russian Imperial Stout that goes about 18%. :cheers:

Hell, I thought I was doing well with the 9.1% imperial stout (Victory's Storm King) in my fridge :blink: .

Great notes on the rifle drills. That reminds me it is time to get back out the smallbore silhouette range.

Kurt

Thanks for the explanation.

Of a Rifle Bounce

A Rifle Bounce: 3 boxes 1 yard apart. two targets 3 yards apart, two shots each from each position, Virginia count. First box any shooting position but sitting or prone, second shooting box any position except prone and the last box any position. Throw in a mandatory reload from 2-3. NO supports like walls, barrels, backpacks, etc. If you can do this in the mid 30s with mostly As you are doing great! I have posted this several times in this very forum!

I’ll have to give that a try,

I try to use different positions, from a door size barricade to a three tier barricade. I have been doing that at 100 yards, no standard positions,

I have done some range improvements, and will move it out to 150 and 200.

And keep at it.

Thanks again, I need to keep finding new training ideas, so that I work toward being well rounded so to speak.

Jim M ammo

you will have to tell me about the brew,,,,Cider/Beer/ that sounds interesting,, :cheers: I have made some Texas Mustang wine in the past..

My main rifle practice comes from having a 10-22 setup with the same scope etc. as my JP-15. I use 10 of those MGM auto poppers of different shapes from 40-90 yards. I have 10 Butler Creek 25 rounders and their loader. In a one hour practice session I shoot about 1,000 rounds from standing and kneeling. Rarely do I practice supported or prone with the .22. Sometimes I will work to and from a table top or some sort of vertical support on the range.

With the JP-15 I only shoot about 100 rounds per session in conjunction with the 10-22. Will time myself to see the difference in speed between the two to make sure that there isn't a huge disparity happening.

Nice thing is its cheap and doesn't take that long. Usually my annual goal is 40-60 sessions.

Hope that helps.

Matt Burkett

I had a local machinist mill by Weigand cantilever mount on my 10/22 (BE's old STC rifle :wub: ) to pic rail specs. I take my TA11 off of the AR (it has the thumbscrew Trijicon mounts) and slap it onto the 10/22. Last year I went to several local steel matches with it and shot it with the Progressive Machine cover up and it works like a dream - no zero change.

From Matt's Rifle 3/gun video, he's using something like this: fajepic548656.jpg

Jack Weigand is making 10/22 mounts (non-canti) with pic rails for $20. His stuff is just great.

Alright, what about calling the shot with a rifle(at distance) do you? can you?

At last years Superstition I was watching one of the sponsored squads and some of them were double tapping

on the 365yd targets. I know those JP's have no recoil but man... Seamed like they were not aiming the second shot

just trying to get lucky I guess. Wouldnt that be risky in trying to get an RO to call that (timely?)

I did not see antbody hit the second shot though!!