Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rifle Training

el pres

I must confess that with a scope on it, it is more of a toy to me. The only time I shot it at paper was to zero it. I have shot the hell out of it at the .22 shiloette range which is 35-75 yards. We have racks and racks of tiny rams turkeys and hogs that are air restable, so I just stand there and shoot and shoot and shoot. I will shoot paper with it latter this year to get back in the swing of cqb with a TA-11 cause I think it is time to shoot a match with a scope again just to say I did it. Then it will be full size fronm 3-50 yards with big huge swings between targets. KURTM

Here's my .22 trainer. 10/22 with Tech-Sights:

251719476.jpg

It works well if your match rifle is like the bottom one:

297961188.jpg

I prefer to practice by shooting at targets of opportunity at various ranges from field positions. Dirt clods, rocks, milk jugs, clay birds, stray cats....

Edited by Bryan 45

AAAAAHHHHHHHH the M-14, The rifle of my youth!! For you a 10-22 would be great the way it is!, An M1 carbine would also have worked as a trainer...but cheap .30 carbine is as rare as cheap .223 these days! Nice set of guns! KurtM

Thanks for the compliments guys. I've actually used an M1 carbine in matches before. Several of the guys were whining that I was using a pistol caliber rifle, until I whipped out the calculator and showed the Carbine has a considerably higher PF than the AR15.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I've actually used an M1 carbine in matches before. Several of the guys were whining that I was using a pistol caliber rifle, until I whipped out the calculator and showed the Carbine has a considerably higher PF than the AR15.

For a lot of matches, it's just about perfect as long as you have the long mags for the carbine. Lot's of pistol distance shooting around here. :D

Wow that nordic is awesome... any idea of sticker price?

$224.95, you still need a stock, buffer tube, float tube and pistol grip.

Pardon my ignorance, but will the buffer tube do?

Edited because its a tube, not a tude.

Edited by No.343

I haven't seen it apart but I'd imagine that the buffer tube screws into the Nordic frame and then your stock anchors to the buffer tube. While I got to handle it at SHOT, I was so overwhelmed by the coolness of the concept and potential cost savings I didn't look closer at how it all goes together.

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to use my .22 AR for cheap/indoor practice. Same trigger, sights and "feel" as my CTR02.

Unfortunately the confines of the indoor range greatly restricts drills, but I do mag changes, positions, mounts, switching between optic and irons, strong/weak shoulder transitions.

spike_meopta_640.jpg

Edited by gose

• 2 weeks later...
Wow that nordic is awesome... any idea of sticker price?

$224.95, you still need a stock, buffer tube, float tube and pistol grip.

So you are looking at something like $500-$600 to put it all together from scratch? I suppose if you have an extra 10/22 and a bunch of AR spare parts laying about it is much better option.

I prefer to use my .22 AR for cheap/indoor practice. Same trigger, sights and "feel" as my CTR02.

Unfortunately the confines of the indoor range greatly restricts drills, but I do mag changes, positions, mounts, switching between optic and irons, strong/weak shoulder transitions.

spike_meopta_640.jpg

What conversion is this above?