zhunter

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The only correct answer to "How many guns do you have?" is "NOT ENOUGH"

Someone asked me the other day "How many guns do you have"? and I answered "I'm really not sure".

Guns come and guns go.

I had to think about it for a minute and count them up and then I always forget 1 or 2.

I don't think I like the idea of "Safe Queens".

If I haven't shot a gun in more that a year it's in imminent danger of being traded.

Seems almost sinful to let them sit there gathering dust.

T

Z,

What are you going to field at the upcoming 2008 Pro-Am tournament in July at the USSA ? :devil:

SV 6" Widebody built by the guy who does the accur-railing, something Jones, can't remember off hand. It is a .40. After SS Nats I will have to practice with it, as I have only fired about 100 rounds to check for reliability. I bought it in the white and sent it to be ION BONDED, had the trigger worked by Derek at www.mcguns.com

I only have 3 handguns, but lots of long guns that have not been fired since 1994, some not since the '80's and several shotguns too, don't know how many, never felt compelled to count. Kinda like..... oh never mind ;)

I have 9 long guns, all of which have been locked away since I started shooting IPSC.

As I said in my previous post, I don't like to let guns sit and gather dust, but I can't bring myself to part with them and trying to achieve my goals in USPSA is a full time job.

7 of them are hunting guns.

They are expendable.

One is a USAS combat shotgun and the other is an AR.

I will alway keep those two.

It seems clear that when the founding fathers wrote the Second Amendment, they wanted me to be prepared to defend this country.

I don't intend to disappoint them.

T

Edited by 38superman

If we're going to count long guns too -

20 handguns (I recently sold 3 and the two remaining single shots are on the block). The oldest was a graduation present from boot camp in 1966.

28 long guns - including a 1750's pattern flintlock and a copy of an original percussion Hawken from the "early" years when I was a builder.

Some are safe queens and rarely get shot and there are a couple I'd like to sell or trade, but most will stay and I have every intention of being buried with at least one.

You never know...

Edited by Scout454

Z,

What are you going to field at the upcoming 2008 Pro-Am tournament in July at the USSA ? :devil:

He should use his SS with 10 round mags! Not some cheatin' ass limited gun :devil:

That's what I plan to use, my Baer in 45 ACP with CMC 10-round Power Mags. B)

The game plan is try not to miss and stick the reloads. ;)

:D

The game plan is try not to miss and stick the reloads. ;)

:D

Is there any other plan when shooting a single stack?

Here, I will answer for you, NO!!!

But the game at the USSA is totally about NO MISSES and good reloads. Slower will win out there with the format, just stay accurate and eliminate the extra shots.

Fellow Snobs,

Please join me in welcoming the latest addition to the SSES 1911 family.

I just picked it up this afternoon.

post-6467-1206050806.jpg post-6467-1206050816.jpg

I was visiting a gunshop in Tennessee and this one caught my eye.

I never thought much about a Smith 1911 until I saw this one.

I love the black slide over stainless with the Rosewood grips. :wub:

The black hammer and safeties really set it off.

Too much bling for me to resist.

I wonder if Doug Koenig has a gun with my name on it?

Tony

Edited by 38superman

Fellow Snobs,

Tony

Nice ride! :cheers: I have a Smith SS and it has been a very reliable gun. And see, I was right, never enough!!

dude, that IS the Single stack I don't have and I really want!!

Great Gun!!

Congrats!!

Y

Fellow Snobs,

Tony

Nice heater Tony!

When I built my carry gun I did something similar - chrome frame, blued slide (soon to get Ion Bonded) and I'm going to get the slides done in black on at least two of the other guns sometime in the near future.

Brethren, I come to you today seeking absolution.

I think I'm going to try and make the Pro/Am in Tulsa this summer with something other than a 1911 in 45acp.

I believe I will shoot this match with a Springer 1911 in 9mm.

Am I going to hell for this?

Will I be placed on probation?

Or can this be resolved in some other manner?

:ph34r:

I think I'm going to try and make the Pro/Am in Tulsa this summer with something other than a 1911 in 45acp.

ooooo, Grasshopper, eer, I mean, Catfish. Be very, very careful here. Listen to the words of one of our most wise founders. "...the game at the USSA is totally about NO MISSES and good reloads. Slower will win out there with the format, just stay accurate and eliminate the extra shots." I humbly add that all possibility of a malfunction should be eliminated. Even the most expertly gun-smithed 1911 in the Euro wildcat caliber can malfunction at the worst possible time. It's too short for the grand old gun. Plus, looking at the stages, with steel stacked in front of steel, you will need take down power. Don't miss (you have that down). Stick the reloads (you have that down). Knock them down faster than the next guy (the most venerable caliber has that down).

Edited to add: I will be using my long 10-round cheater mags. I'm refurbishing the 5 I have and just ordered 5 more CMC Power Mags.

Edited by Steve J

I am planning on shooting the Pro Am, and the way it looks to me that yes the preferred gun for this would be

a 9mm wide body, that is lighted up......

But since I don't have one of those, nor do I have the money to dump into getting a gun built for one match I plan on shooting what I

shot best, my Nowlin single stack in 45acp.

I may change my ammo for this, and drop to a 185gr bullet downloaded to a 150 powerfactor, drop to a 10 or 11 pound recoil spring.

I do have an old 70 series Colt that I got from my uncle that was his hardball gun that is at the gunsmith right now getting sights, beavertial, magwell, and tuned up as a back up single stack gun, and carry gun. I could use that for the ProAm, but it would basically be the samething 10 round single stack, with downloaded ammo.

Catfish,

If you are seeking absolution, I suggest 10 "Hail Merlin's" and all will be well.

Tony

Nice purchase, good looking gun!!! :cheers:

Catfish

You are resolved, it is a specialty match, and I have already posted that I am shooting a .40 widebody for this match.

Catfish,

If you are seeking absolution, I suggest 10 "Hail Merlin's" and all will be well.

That is funny!!!

Guys,

I have a question and this seems like the appropriate place to ask it.

I was practicing draws and dry firing with my new 1911 last night.

I have two different holsters and I was trying both of them on a CR Speed belt to see which one I want to use.

One is a Blade Tech kydex, the other is a Safariland lined kydex.

I noticed a problem (with both holsters) with the gun binding a bit as it comes out.

This caused the bottom of the holster to kick out and away from my hip.

The faster I try to draw the worse it becomes.

Adjusting the tension on the holsters did little to correct this.

I assume that the nature of the problem is that I am not pulling the gun up and out in a straight line.

Nothing I did with my hands and arm seem to matter.

After some experimentation, I discovered that the only way to get the gun out smoothly was to bend slightly at the waist, leaning away from the gun.

This felt very unnatural but I am sure that I can work it out and come up with a decent draw technique.

My question is this.

Up until now I have shot Open, Limited and L10 all with wide body 2011's and all from the same speed holster.

The grip and draw is consistent with all guns and this is a major advantage.

I can easily move from one division to another.

The placement and type of holster for Single Stack is dramatically different.

If I do the work and become comfortable with this SS rig, am I screwing up my draw with my old gear?

I worked long and hard to develop my skills in the high cap divisions and I'm worried that I might take a step backward.

What has been your experience in this regard?

T

Edited by 38superman

Tony

The Open rig is further away from your body as opposed to the SS rig. The SS rig, being closer to your body makes it more difficult to make a draw that is straight up, or vertical when we um...have um... let's just say.... ummm... mature shaped bodies. :blink:

So, essentially, you need to feel like your hand gun is brushing against the side of your body to get the vertical draw needed out of the SSS rig.

FWIW, I use the Blade-Tech holster, so your gear is fine.

Hope that helps.