Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

IDPA Vests?

Jay6

We have from time to time thought of running a "Men in Black" match, wear your old, no londer serviceable suit to shoot the match. All stages stat with jacket buttoned.

No trick crap allowed. You have to actually unbutton your jacket, draw and engage.

You would be allowed other than dress shoes for safety reasons on the indoor range floor. Just too slippery!.

Might even require sunglasses and a tie.

Jim

You obviously live on a different planet than I..... :)

We have from time to time thought of running a "Men in Black" match, wear your old, no londer serviceable suit to shoot the match. All stages stat with jacket buttoned.

No trick crap allowed. You have to actually unbutton your jacket, draw and engage.

You would be allowed other than dress shoes for safety reasons on the indoor range floor. Just too slippery!.

Might even require sunglasses and a tie.

Jim

Jim, I love the idea, but............ Most of us don't wear our OLD suits for fit reasons, not style :rolleyes: . I can see it now, (insert name) bends over to police brass and splits the seat out of his suit pants on the first stage :goof: Just my luck, I'd be the first one to do it too :devil:

eBay. The thrifty shooter's friend...

Got two of the Woolrich Photographer's vests for less than $20.00 each. Do a search on ' men's woolrich vest ' and see what comes up. If you're the patient sort, you'll find a good bargain there.

Or you can pay the straight $70.00 for the Woolrich Elite vest if you want - that's too much ammo money down the tubes for me, tho....

:D :D

For those interested in yet another alternative that is a good deal cheaper than the 5.11 vest Cabela's safari vest does a nice job. It sells for $49.95 and is well made with plenty of pockets. I actually prefer the pocket configuration over the 5.11 vest but don't ask me to explain the differences. The safari vest does not have any velcro pads/stiffeners in it. But I haven't had any trouble drawing from under it.

DWS

Yep, that is what I bought also.

Edited by BNorth

Competition only garments are prohibited. Competition only garments are defined as: vented or mesh vests that allow the firearm, holster, spare ammo or ammo carriers to be visible when standing normally....

I don't believe the vest shown in that link could possibly be legal since its entire back is see-through mesh.

Competition only garments are prohibited. Competition only garments are defined as: vented or mesh vests that allow the firearm, holster, spare ammo or ammo carriers to be visible when standing normally....

I don't believe the vest shown in that link could possibly be legal since its entire back is see-through mesh.

There are a lot of them in use. I only heard of one problem and that was a shooter that had a vest that did not fit his body type and the gear could be seen through the mesh. As quoted in the rule, the gear can not be visible. If you have one of these vests that fit right the gear won't be visible.

There are a lot of them in use. I only heard of one problem and that was a shooter that had a vest that did not fit his body type and the gear could be seen through the mesh. As quoted in the rule, the gear can not be visible. If you have one of these vests that fit right the gear won't be visible.

Badlands Regional Championship

April 26 – 27, 2008 Tulsa OK

2008 TX State IDPA Championship

June 7, 2008 Greenville TX

Coastal Bend Challenge

March 30, 2008 Corpus Christi TX

show up at any of these shoots and see how many shooters are wearing them..i shot out west last yr and saw several hundred thousand shooters wearing them...well...everything is bigger in texas....right???? :cheers: i would think shooting in 100 deg weather they would be the ticket to wear...

I use the 511 for winter and major matches. I have a mesh vest that I use for summer club matches. It is too hot here in Ca.

I did win a Woolrich light weight vest. I really like it. If it wasn't black I would use that one year round.

Don't understand the 'vest' thing?

If I saw someone wearing one of those vests at the local Wal-Mart I would know thye are carrying!

I just use an old BDU shirt, plenty of pockets and lighter.

Lonerider, there are so few people that shoot IDPA (or any shooting sport for that matter) it is statistically insignificant relative to the general population of the USA. Yes, if you saw someone wearing a 5.11 vest, your first thought would be "he's carrying". However, 99.999% of the rest of the world would think "he's a photographer". I'm currently in Mexico on vacation and I saw a guy wearing a similar vest today. My first thought was, "this guy must be carrying". So I tailed him for about 2 min just to satisfy my curiosity. He was a photographer.

My point here is that there are a lot more photographers in the US than there are CCW holders who wear 5.11 vests. I've worn mine many times when I was not armed because it is just a very convenient way to carry a bunch of junk around Disney World or similar place. Be careful because the old "shoot the guy with the vest first" mentality could get someone into a real mess if he turns out to be a good guy. I hear the "that vest is a dead giveaway" comment all the time and I don't think it is reality. I've worn mine in enough public places that if it were going to draw attention, it would have before now.

OK, that makes sense. But I just don't really like vests anyway.My BDU shirt works just fine and I got it for $12.95. It's just right now that it's a little chilly, if it gets too hot this summer I'll just roll the sleeves up. I'm used to wearing long sleeves shooting Cowboy so it won't be a problem.

Don't understand the 'vest' thing?

If I saw someone wearing one of those vests at the local Wal-Mart I would know thye are carrying!

I just use an old BDU shirt, plenty of pockets and lighter.

Lonerider, there are so few people that shoot IDPA (or any shooting sport for that matter) it is statistically insignificant relative to the general population of the USA. Yes, if you saw someone wearing a 5.11 vest, your first thought would be "he's carrying". However, 99.999% of the rest of the world would think "he's a photographer". I'm currently in Mexico on vacation and I saw a guy wearing a similar vest today. My first thought was, "this guy must be carrying". So I tailed him for about 2 min just to satisfy my curiosity. He was a photographer.

My point here is that there are a lot more photographers in the US than there are CCW holders who wear 5.11 vests. I've worn mine many times when I was not armed because it is just a very convenient way to carry a bunch of junk around Disney World or similar place. Be careful because the old "shoot the guy with the vest first" mentality could get someone into a real mess if he turns out to be a good guy. I hear the "that vest is a dead giveaway" comment all the time and I don't think it is reality. I've worn mine in enough public places that if it were going to draw attention, it would have before now.

The lesson is: if you see someone at Disney who looks like Hot Brass (tall and trying to figure out how the gizmos work for future match design purposes), he's carrying.

Seriously, the vest is only a giveaway for the indoctrinated. I've asked several LEO shooters about this, and they say even most cops are clueless on this.