Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sights For G34, Production Class

North Pass Hiviz front, Novak rear. Front retails for $25 and rear is $33. The Novak has a .125" notch. The NP front comes with six light tubes of red and green in three different diameters. I like this combo. The big,.125", tube really helps my old myopic eyes see the front sight. Then again I have heard sights are over rated anyway. Who takes the time to look at them?

I'm not a big fan of the fiber optics. I think they make it too easy for shooters to look past the sights. The fiber optics over-power the edges of the front sight, such that the shooter won't get a razor sharp focus on the edges of the front sight.

The best fiber optic I have seen was the custom job Dowter did to his front sight (as seen at last year's Ohio Section match). He had blacked out most of the fiber, so that all he saw of the fiber was a thin, vertical line. Quick indexing, but still didn't over-power the edges of the front sight.

My preferred sights on the Glock are Heinie Slant Pros. I thin the front sight down from .125 to .115. I am likely going to open up the rear notch some too, though it isn't bad with the stock opening on the competition length guns (G34/35).

I aslo machine a small divot into the face of the black front sight. I then paint in a white dot with some enamel finger-nail polish. The white on black is easy to see. And, the white won't "wash-out" with the background of dark targets/backstops.

Flex, I use the fiber optic dot like an open gun electronic sight. I just put the dot in the center of the target. I have tried the white dot front and liked it too. The white dot is much better indoors. The Aro-Tek dot front has a large white dot and is .165" high like the stock sight.

My hands down first choice (on the 34) is a set of drop in Bo-mars for the rear with the front Bomar blade having it's top half thinned to .090. When the sights are level all I see is the skinny part of the front sight. If I point the gun slightly nose up I see the step in the sight --- an additional hint that I'll be shooting high. On both of my G21 topends I'm running Bo-mar style rears with Dawson Fiberoptic fronts in Red. They work pretty well ---- but seem at times to distract me slightly. They're also wider (at .115) than my thinned down fronts which makes them a little harder to hit with at distance. I'll probably shoot that gun extensively after the FGN and then decide whether I'm going back to the plain front sights.

If I were shooting Production, my hands-down first choice for the rear sight would be MMC's adjustable sight system. I'd go for the plain BlackSights option (they're also offered in a tritium 3-dot LightSights and three white dot WhiteSights options). This rear sight is much lower profile and snag-proof than BoMars, and more durable to boot. Their rear sight notch comes in a choice of widths, and is deepr than just about anything else on the market - important to me since I like seeing a lot of front sight. The front would be black and thinned to .090".

As with Limited 40, a stock rear blacked out with a felt marker, BUT I modified the Hi-Viz front by pulling the tube out (towards the rear sight) and hacking off the "bulb" . The effect is a much smaller light gathering tube surrounded by a black outline for the more precise shooting. Primitive but cheap. I have heard that Hi-Viz has now changed their design, not sure if this "guarunteed to make C class"method will work with the new design.

Flex's idea has alot of merit. Thanks Flex. Of course I was trying to achieve the same effect only easier by sanding down the edges of the stock (white dot on black background)front sight to make it a little narrower, without removing the sight. Despite the taped off slide, I still managed to sand off some of the finish around the front sight on top of the slide. OOPS.

It kind of works though along the same lines of Flex's idea. A narrow black outlined FS for precision with a white dot for speedy aquistion and low light.

Flex,

Yep. But it was a little shiny, so I used the official rear sight darkening tool (felt marker) to help it blend in with the original finish.

Benny, we gotta have some little tricked out thing about our sights to BS about whether we actually use them or not. In my case it creates a little intrigue until I actually start shooting.

Here I go in the glock forum again, against my better judgement.

I have a new fiber optic on one of the 9mm beretta prod. guns and here are the early impressions:

Easier to see the entire recoil arc.

Faster out of the holster

Deceptive on longer shots, easy to shoot the dot and ignore precise alignment

Looks really cool in the sight picture.

Since I just got my fgn slot, I better decide soon. I'll a/b them vs black sights and decide.

If I was going to a known hoser match, I'd shoot fiber optic. at an accuracy match, probly go black.

I do like having a choice.

SA

SA, this isn't the Glock forum. Anyhow, I do understand, secondhand, that you are THE dry fire champ. So I would like to read how a FO sight improves your draw speed.

Tetra blue might be kewl if you are a purist Flex. Once you meet Skeeter's glocks in person you will be permanently warped however.

Hey! Ain't this cool how we snuck a Glock thread up here with the real gun threads? Heh-heh.

Tom Bergman

oops, coulda sworn it was the G-lock forum. :)

When I drew the fiber optic gun for the first time I was shocked at how easy it was to get on the front sight.

When I missed some 20 yard steel I was shocked at how easy it was to shoot the doot and ignore the precise alignment.

It may just be that I've been training hard with a c-more for months...

SA

When I drew the fiber optic gun for the first time I was shocked at how easy it was to get on the front sight.

When I missed some 20 yard steel I was shocked at how easy it was to shoot the dot and ignore the precise alignment.

That is my exact experience.

The fiber optic is sooo easy to see...too easy, somethimes. I don't think I have the discipline to shoot it accurately at tough targets.

I was talking with SA about this. I recalled that Leatham shoots with a fiber optic that he sight blacks for most of his shooting. If he needs the FO (poor light/weather), then he wipes off the sight black.

Tetra blue might be kewl if you are a purist Flex

I've only tried it on sights...so far.

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, I read in a thread long time ago that Rob Leatham uses a FO and just puts some black over it ith a marker to get "the best of both worlds". Fast to pick up. Not as annoying on long shots.