Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR9 initial impressions

Catfish

is it true they self destruct with sustained dryfire?

The depends on whether or not the gun has the magazine safety still installed. The way the firing pin lock on the SR9 works is that it's an actual physical block, a springloaded piece of metal in the slide that moves downward, blocking firing pin movement, when an inserted magazine is not pressing up on it. It's a very simple, elegant design. Unfortunately, with the block in place in the gun, when dry firing, the firing pin actually hits the firing pin block, and in short order one or the other, or both, will get peened, and then you'll have functional problems.

The solution is simple: pull out the block. Not only will this take - in my experience - about two pounds off the trigger pulls, but now you can dry fire the gun without damaging it. Removing the block is extremely simple. Anyone who's ever detail stripped a Glock can just look at the underside of an SR9 slide, and if it takes you five seconds to figure out how to yank the block I'd be amazed.

The problem I had with the SR9 is that the slide cocking grooves are extremely sharp edged. I ride my shooting hand thumb against the slide while shooting. Inside 50 rounds, the slide had ground through the callous on my thumb knuckle, was down into flesh, and I was smearing blood back-and-forth along the slide with every shot.

Looks like Ghost is coming out with a connector for the SR9.

from the website

NEW: The Ruger SR9 Trigger Control Connectors & Drop-in Connectors are coming soon the release time frame will be August 2009. We will be offering the 3.5 LB Rocket for Rugers (requires minor fitting), a drop-in 3.5 LB Trigger Connector & 5.0 LB Tactical for Rugers (requires minor fitting). The pricing will be starting @ $19.95. We are in the final stages of development, we have feedback from many SR9 owners who have tried the triggers and the overwhelming comment has been "AWESOME!!!"

• 2 weeks later...
is it true they self destruct with sustained dryfire?

The depends on whether or not the gun has the magazine safety still installed. The way the firing pin lock on the SR9 works is that it's an actual physical block, a springloaded piece of metal in the slide that moves downward, blocking firing pin movement, when an inserted magazine is not pressing up on it. It's a very simple, elegant design. Unfortunately, with the block in place in the gun, when dry firing, the firing pin actually hits the firing pin block, and in short order one or the other, or both, will get peened, and then you'll have functional problems.

The solution is simple: pull out the block. Not only will this take - in my experience - about two pounds off the trigger pulls, but now you can dry fire the gun without damaging it. Removing the block is extremely simple. Anyone who's ever detail stripped a Glock can just look at the underside of an SR9 slide, and if it takes you five seconds to figure out how to yank the block I'd be amazed.

The problem I had with the SR9 is that the slide cocking grooves are extremely sharp edged. I ride my shooting hand thumb against the slide while shooting. Inside 50 rounds, the slide had ground through the callous on my thumb knuckle, was down into flesh, and I was smearing blood back-and-forth along the slide with every shot.

The only issue with removing the Mag disconnect safety is that it makes it "illigal" in some competition organizations. Now, you have the choice to leave it in an be "legal", which means eventually you will have to have the gun fixed after repeated "if clear, slide closed, hammer downs" as this will cause the damage mentioned above or...well doing the alternative would be illigal in competition. :(

That aside it is a great gun that is very accurate and dependable.

• 4 weeks later...
The only issue with removing the Mag disconnect safety is that it makes it "illigal" in some competition organizations. Now, you have the choice to leave it in an be "legal", which means eventually you will have to have the gun fixed after repeated "if clear, slide closed, hammer downs" as this will cause the damage mentioned above or...well doing the alternative would be illigal in competition. :(

That aside it is a great gun that is very accurate and dependable.

what organizations disallow the removal of a magazine disconnect? (notice I didnt mention the word safety :))

and fyi; m&p base plates fit sr-9 mags, and vice versa.

That would be IDPA. Of course, all it would take would be for Ruger to ever supply the SR9 to the public, or a police department, without the magazine disconnector, and then it would be okay, I would think, since you're just turning the gun from one factory supplied condition to another factory supplied condition.

Of course this is all somewhat moot, I think. I have yet to see an SR9, or any Ruger auto pistol, for that matter, at an IDPA or USPSA match.

That would be IDPA. Of course, all it would take would be for Ruger to ever supply the SR9 to the public, or a police department, without the magazine disconnector, and then it would be okay, I would think, since you're just turning the gun from one factory supplied condition to another factory supplied condition.

Of course this is all somewhat moot, I think. I have yet to see an SR9, or any Ruger auto pistol, for that matter, at an IDPA or USPSA match.

oh; thanks!

Shows you what game I shoot, lol!

Im thinking of running it through a 2 day, 1500 round pistol course in a couple weeks.

-but only if I really think I might want to run one of these in the future.

I do like the grip undercut and angle, the low slide and and the overall external appearance.

I dislike the take down lever, because it doesnt sit exactly flush with the frame, and the internal metal is rough stamped steel and has rough machine marks all over. I agree with you on the serrations.

The front sight has lots of light visible under thedovetail corners, and the plastic (!) rear sight looks to be not conducive (SP?) for alignment along the horizontal plane.

But I will shut up untill I shoot it. lol!

I used an SR9 in a club match last month after SingleStacking it all year. The gun shoots very much like a 1911 and I forgot how nice that light recoil and 10 round magazine is... Only mods were a FO front sight some grip tape and removing the mag disconnect. Looking forward to the Ghost trigger bar. I think the platform will be a nice option for production especially for people used to the 1911.

Addict

was the FO front a one off, or does someone make them?

Hi Viz was the only one I found.

sight link

The fiber is a bit thicker than I prefer. I am debating trying to make one out of the factory sight with 1mm rod, but since I am going to finish the year with the 1911 it will probably be a winter project.

Have not had a problem with peening the bbl, though that shows up once in awhile on the Ruger forum. The mag release was a bit stickey in the match but some lithium grease has cleared that up.

Ruger has a link to give advise to the CEO :roflol: so I sent them some help on getting more presence in USPSA - 5+ inch bbl, extended controls, drop the safety, and improve the sights. Voila you can compete with the G34, M&P Pro, and XD!

Addict

• 4 months later...

If you ever get off of the left coast ,you can come watch me shoot mine! :cheers: Should be at area 6 and area 3 this year...if the wife doesn't shoot me first!

Al

• 2 months later...

Any gunsmiths specializing in these yet? Not that it would take much "re-learning" from a Glock...

I've got one of the new Compact pistols and wouldn't mind getting it cleaned up a little. It seems to shoot pretty good but, as others have noted, it has some sharp edges. The cocking serrations are like something you'd find on a cheap Brazilian 1911! A good "radical meltdown" would do wonders for the little gun.

Can one of you SR9 owners tell me a bit about the striker system?? We have had several of these guns show up at various IDPA matches. Some clubs consider it a SSP gun (like most DAO guns like Glocks etc) while some clubs consider it an ESP gun like the XD.

It is my understanding that IDPA put the XD in ESP because it has a fully cocked striker and is there by considered single action.

I have asked the IDPA for a ruling and have not been answered yet.

Thanks

Mark

Edited by MichiganShootist

Can one of you SR9 owners tell me a bit about the striker system?? We have had several of these guns show up at various IDPA matches. Some clubs consider it a SSP gun (like most DAO guns like Glocks etc) while some clubs consider it an ESP gun like the XD.

It is my understanding that IDPA put the XD in ESP because it has a fully cocked striker and is there by considered single action.

I have asked the IDPA for a ruling and have not been answered yet.

Thanks

Mark

It is my understanding that the striker acts very much like the striker in your typical Glock. That is to say that the striker is "at rest" but partially held to the rear by the sear. As the trigger is pulled and the sear moves back, it pulls the striker back to its rear-most point.

The tip of the striker is visible through the striker retaining plate. You can actually see the striker come back toward the shooter as pressure is added to the trigger.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I feel the same way about the SR9 except I haven't shot one yet (just dry fired). Thumb safety is a waste of time to me. Need to make it bigger and easier to put on/off! I'm waiting to try the Sig250 w/small grip. Trigger is outstanding. Sights similar to SR9. Don't have $ for both, might buy neither and get something else (610 or black rifle).

Two of my friends have SR9's and the trigger is anything but outstanding. Its horrid.

Pat

I have been using a SR9 in USPSA for a couple months, it has served me well. I put a new trigger bar in it, some new springs and some polishing and I think the trigger is good. I don't know what the pull weight is, but it is not gritty at all, just smooth until the break.

I need to get some new sights for it. I blacked out the rear sights, but I think I want a FO front sight on it, maybe add some grip tape and I will be all set.

• 2 months later...

Just got an SCR9 for Christmas this morning. wonderful gift. I have not shot it yet, but the slide is harsh in the finger groove area, and it takes quite a bit of pull to bring into battery.

One other not, is the slide release lever on every one elses SR so hard to use? I have to pull the slide back, then push the lever down to release the slide. Would be horrible to use in competition for any kind of speed reload if the count goes south. (An action I am quite fond of. Nothing like slide lock with one round to go. A great test of nerve rebuilding.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...