Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ruger SR9 initial impressions

Catfish

Picked up an SR9 yesterday and took it to the range today. Shot it after the steel match, about 150 rounds or so.

Initial impressions are very positive; price point was good - $389.

The MP40 medium grip was a tad small, and the large grip was too big - the SR9 fits somewhere in between those two grips and fits me very well. Very 1911 like, as others have reported.

Trigger was about what you'd expect from a Production style gun - reset was shorter than the MP, maybe a tad longer than a Glock. Has a definate 'wall' before the trigger breaks, not spongy.

Sights were adequate, but I'm not a big fan of 3 dots - will probably blacken out the back two dots and see what becomes available as the gun has more time out on the market. Shot point of aim and grouped nicely.

The gun pointed like a 1911 and was easy to shoot.

My only bitch was that the 2 mags that came with the pistol were the absolute hardest mags to load that I've ever loaded in my life. Since I've never, ever used one of those loading gizmos, I left the one Ruger included in the box at home. Man that was dumb. We couldn't load more than 9-10 rounds in each mag.....

Anyway, I'm impressed at this point. Will likely play with the pistol a bit at IDPA from time to time and see how it runs over the long haul.

I feel the same way about the SR9 except I haven't shot one yet (just dry fired). Thumb safety is a waste of time to me. Need to make it bigger and easier to put on/off! I'm waiting to try the Sig250 w/small grip. Trigger is outstanding. Sights similar to SR9. Don't have $ for both, might buy neither and get something else (610 or black rifle).

• 4 weeks later...

OK...

curious about the Ruger SR9 from those that have been able to play with one..

any step by steps..

how to get the mag disconnect out.

how to best clean up and lighten the trigger

thanks for any info and pics of the inside of the gun..

I was just hoping someone could give me some opinions on the new Ruger SR9. I never really have been a fan on Polymer pistols, but for some reason, this pistol might get an exception from me.

Anyone shot one?

• 4 months later...
The SR9 is out for a couple of months now, does anyone use them in competition and how do you like it?

Once they get the recall all cleaned up and work a few of the bugs* that I noticed on the several new ones that I have handled I think they will be a great pistol.

*Gritty trigger pull (both with a mag in and out) and sticky mag release.

• 2 months later...

I just bought a new Ruger SR9. I really like it but it has a 8 pound trigger. When you take the slide off it looks like a Glock. I was told the original SR9's had a decent trigger pull before they were recalled. Any ideas how to get the trigger pull down?

Bought my son an SR9 a while back and the trigger was terrible. It had a lot of stack to it before it broke. It was also a very hard break. Post recall, the pistol now has a Glock style trigger and the pull length is only about half as much. The break is just as hard as before and not smooth. When I get some time, I am going to fire up the dremmel tool and go over the whole insides with JB polishing compound, like I did my Glock 36. I'm not sure I can actually fix this one to my satisfaction, but I am going to try. The biggest problem I have is shooting 1911's with 2 1/2# and 3# triggers, then going to something like this. It took some work to smooth out my 36, but the final product was a lot better. I'm hoping the same thing will work on the SR9.

• 5 months later...

I just got my SR9 on November 21, 2008 and I plan on using it this year as my production division handgun in IPSC this year! I figure its going to be a great little handgun and will perform greatly in IPSC. I have used it in the action shoots at my local indoor range and have noticed a great improvement in my shooting with it. I will keep you all posted as to my progress with the gun as the season goes along.

Gunner out

• 4 weeks later...

Handled one, really liked the feel of the grip.... very thin gun. The grip, stippled or with tape would be fantastic. Trigger was stiff, but not as bad as I've been reading about. It looks like the internal trigger parts are fairly glock like, as others have noted; surely a trigger job is easy on one of these......

Intrigued. I really like my LCP, and the old Rugers P85s and P90s were bullet proof. Hope this one turns out to be so also. If they make a compact model, I'll be all over it for a CCW.

Anyone here got any significant range time on one? Feedback for action type shooting?

Note: I merged about 4-5 threads on the SR9 into this one. We had a handful that were just a couple of post long and were "general impressions?" in nature. It seemed logical to group them all together.

- Admin

Hmmm. Seems I remember you locking the one big "general impressions" thread, and encouraging multiple ones going forward... make up your mind. :roflol:

Just kidding.

yeah... I noted that. :roflol:

Nobody got specific though. :)

What I was hoping to avoid in the monster thread was ..."what sights?"....what trigger work?"...etc, getting lost in the massive "general" thread. (I have actually lead a horse to water and not had it drink...even though i was thirsty. :))

The triggers in the SR9 are very similar to Glocks. The parts are not exactly the same though and will not interchange; been there tried that. The 3.5 lb connector could possibly be made to fit the SR9 though with a little grinding and polishing but there are enough other things you can do to the trigger to improve its pull. I have been really impressed with these pistols but I have not had the time to use one in competition yet. Like someone else in the thread said the grip feels very 1911ish.

• 2 months later...
anyone actually running one in matches? how's it holding up?

I ran mine in the Indiana sectional this past weekend. 268 round match that I ended up shooting at least 350 rounds at. I had two reshoots on 32 round stages. I finished in the top 30 of 67 in Production. It was actually my first match other than local club matches. The gun now has over 6,000 rounds through it. It was recalled and then I had the trigger done. IT now has a Glock Ghost Connector in it and the trigger pull is now 3.75 lbs and short. Fun gun and very accurate and reliable.

• 2 weeks later...
Red Ripper,

Did you do anything special to get that Ghost connector to work?

The gunsmith did have to do some filing and fitting. He did some polishing and so forth on the internals as well as changing out the striker spring. Worth the efforet IMO. The trigger is shorter and crisper than my brother's Glock 17 which has been modified as well.