Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Living in a Meat Locker

EricW

Z--

"not-so-bad weather" is obviously relative, given the size (and current condition) of this country. The point in that was: we don't have tornadoes/hurricanes/floods/below-18F-degrees temps/huge wildfires/over-95F-degree temps (for the most part). That, overall, is "not-so-bad" in my book. B)

"...the water's stiff!" Now THAT'S funny. ;)

Come on Eric, you know you love it and in a couple of months you will be able to go out in your back yard and start shooting again. Do you have any idea what it would cost in Arizona to get the land you have now? I am not real fond of the 8" of snow we just got or the below zero temps that are predicted but you know what they say about the grass being greener some where else. I have been fortunate enough to have had the military send me to some lovely spots throughout the US and the world and I am where I chose to be.

Really golf shoes are not a bad idea for ice if you can find the old steel spikes. Again my motto "I can always put on enough clothes to get warm but I have never been able to take off enough to get cool." And that includes flipflops (thongs for the Aussies) and a bathing suit or when in Thailand (skivies). Never before have I had rain bounce up under a poncho and get my belt wet.

Well on an insurance stand point, any "pre-existing" conditions wouldn't be covered. So I am stuck here til I retire unfortunately. I wouldn't be able to afford shooting if I had to pay for all my medical stuff!

Ummm, I could be totally wrong about this --- but the Health Insurance Portability Act of 19?? was supposed to alleviate that. Basically, if you leave your current place of employment, you can continue to pay for the same insurance coverage AND as long as you don't have too long a gap in coverage, your next insurer can't claim pre-existing condition exclusions......

Now, if you're self-employed and arranging for your own coverage, then things get much trickier.....

....because insurers can negotiate with you while offering to write a policy to exclude pretty much anything they don't want to be held liable for.....

....and individual state laws also have some effect....

...but if you're employed by someone else, the situation may not be as hopeless as you think it is. Research would be a good idea, in any event, in case of a layoff or other employment problem.....

Over 20" of new snow in the mountains since 8am yesterday morning and we're still getting pounded. We have about 14 to 18" of new down below here. I had to "walk" the dog on skis. I will plow for the second time in 14 hours and will probably have to plow again tonight.

There is no end in sight. It is supposed to hammer snow all week long.

Talked to one of the neighbors...said it was just like it was back in the 70's when they first moved in. Clearly Global Warming is taking us back in time to a more wintry era. :unsure:

I'm going to go to the store and see if I can put in for my Mastadon tag. Looks like a good time to fill the freezer with some meat.

No matter how bad it gets here, I will remember the snow storms from the 60s and the other two really big ones that came between then and now. Those I shoveled snow from the roof then stepped off into the snow bank. One of the last ones I had snow over the top of my 4 ft. fence.

But I'm older now and I don't like the cold or the snow. Someplace warm and close to an Army or Air Force base would be nice. And that way maybe I'd get to practice live fire outdoors the year round.

See you this spring.

Well, having recently moved from St. Louis to Rio Salado.... er, I mean Scottsdale all I can think is why in the heck didn't my office close in St. Louis a long time ago? Rio is great. I've shot Tuesday Night Steel the last three weeks with what..... 140 shooters each time? Great people there, making me feel right at home. This is a place where the severe weather warning comes out when there is chance it might drop below 35 at night. Went back to St. Louis last week and the high was 7 above. Yeah, I'm not missing that so much.... :rolleyes:

Six inches of snow in Eugene yesterday--somewhat unexpected. Somewhat inconvenient, too. <_<

Yes, there was some kind of nasty, snowy onslaught in the 1960s that apparently shut down the town for about three weeks. Glad I wasn't here at the time. :rolleyes:

When I was young, I had no idea why anybody would want to move to Arizona.

Now that I'm borderline geriatric and I've been driving to work on a road that you could literally play hockey on for the last 45 days straight, I'm ready to trade my skis for golf shoes on a permanent basis. This sucks! And there's no end in sight. I even drove my 9 mpg Suburban Assault vehicle last week in a vain attempt to push Global Warming past the Tipper Point®. No joy. So much for my promised beach umbrella and mojitos weather in the dead of winter. (Thanks for nothing you Nobel Laureate twit!)

Any smokin' deals on timeshares near Rio? I need to thaw out!

<shiver>

Let me see if I can picture this....

We just had hail here in "sunny california". We have been on the freezing end of a "cold spell" that's about two months long and counting.

mostly sunny and 72 for the high today here...oh wait, no rebuttals B) Haven't been to the range in the snow since 1993 in Germany. Can't say as I miss it, especially firing from the prone or armpit deep in a firing pit full of rapidly melting and refreezing ice while trying to engage the 600M targets with the M60.