Crossfit training

Chris Conley

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ooo, I'll definitely be watching the Journal - I have tried to explain what we do on the range to the trainers, have shown them vids of Max and Travis, and have even told them about you and your successes as well, but a tie-in between the two would be really cool (I assume that's what you're planning...).

Something like that... ;) Its in the layout process right now, so shouldn't have to wait too long... ;) Might have more stuff coming in that vein via CrossFit, too... We'll see what happens... ;)

See you guys in a couple of weeks, I'll be working stage 1 at the DTC - hopefully all the crappy weather we're having now means it will be gorgeous by then!

Man, I hope so!!! :lol:

Has anyone tried any of the Gym Jones workouts?

http://www.gymjones.com/

The big thing standing in my way is that I never seem to have the gear at hand that's prescribed for the GJ workouts. Some of those things look like total psychotic messes, too, which means they'll probably be "fun" in that really painful kind of way. One day, I'll make it around to it... ;)

Has anyone tried any of the Gym Jones workouts?

http://www.gymjones.com/

The big thing standing in my way is that I never seem to have the gear at hand that's prescribed for the GJ workouts. Some of those things look like total psychotic messes, too, which means they'll probably be "fun" in that really painful kind of way. One day, I'll make it around to it... ;)

The Gym Jones site also has a $500/year membership now.

• 3 weeks later...

Don't know if y'all saw my Journal article or not... ;) Unfortunately, some things got lost in the translation during the editing process. I sent some corrections over, but they apparently got misplaced. Hmmm. Well, that's part of working with an editor, I suppose - I'll keep that in mind next time :lol: Anyway... enjoy :D

• 2 years later...

I'm halfway through the two week "ramp-up" boot camp program at my local crossfit installation called No Excuses. This place was started by a quadraplegic- hard to comprehend this kind of struggle. I've been into yoga and light workouts for a long time and I thought I was in decent shape, but man is this place an eye opener. Never gave much thought to the ideal of core power- not just strength but power. I think this training is going to be a big help to my shooting- both physically and mentally.

• 4 months later...

I just found this thread. I started reading at page one and read all the way through to page 18! I subscribe to the Crossfit Journal and I've watched several of XRe's videos from Crossfit.

USPSA is a unique shooting discipline that combines many things, speed, accuracy, stage tactics, different shooting positions and a certain level of fitness. If you "specialize" in shooting while standing still or just two handed shooting, you won't do well at stages that require shooting while moving or one handed shooting. At a match you need to be able to perform on demand, consistently, at everything.

Crossfit's specialty is not specializing and they basically train for everything. The workouts constantly change and USPSA stages constantly change. I see correlation between Crossfit and USPSA in the fact that the challenges constantly change and you must be good at everything to succeed. They are perfect for each other!

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

Lets talk about Cross-Fit, there are major issues/concerns with the program, it has been banned at numerous military bases due to injuries sustained attempting to utilize it; I am not saying its an inherently bad program, what I am saying you MUST consult a correctly Certified & Educated Trainer with solid background in sports training, i.e. a Physical Therapist, a degreed Sports Medicine professional, etc.; going with just any "certified" Cross Fit Trainer can get you into real trouble, I know this because I have had direct involvement with soldiers injured from training with Cross Fit without having a proper fitness evaluation done beforehand & no professional oversight while they were conducting the training, then being injured due to that, which put them "out of the fight" for a number of weeks; as their 1SG, I cannot allow that to happen to my troops.

In order to train in the Cross Fit methodology, you MUST already be at an exceptional level of fitness and you MUST be coached by a trainer with the appropriate level of education & certification or you could be permanently injured.

Guys, I have a tremendous understanding of correct fitness training, thru years of ferreting through incorrect training and some of that provided by the military; for the past 2 years I have been training with a group here is St. Louis, MO- Safe Fitness Solutions, they specialize in training athletes, Military, LEOs and firefighters at all levels.

They educated me & assisted me in getting my unit ready for deployment to Central Asia and then worked with me for 18 mths to get me ready for the World Shoot XVI in Greece this past OCT; I was a member of the US National Team- Senior STD Div. and I can tell you that after training with them- I am almost injury free now, the reason I say "almost" is because I came to them with some substantial over-use injuries due to improper training & injuries sustained while in Iraq, within the US military; those injuries- compressed shoulder syndrome- Rt shoulder and scar tissue in various parts of my feet and calves, is almost completely gone after working with them; I am stronger, faster and way more flexible then ever before (except for maybe when I was in my teens and very early 20's minus the strength, I am way stronger than ever before), and I did not utilize any of the Cross Fit methods to get there, Safe Fitness Solutions does not advocate this type of training because of the risk/benefit equation, too much risk without truly significant benefit; in other words, there are better ways to train.

Look, if this is the way you feel you must train to accomplish your goals, go for it, just be prepared for the possible long-term consequences when you get to be my age (51) & please, please consult a trainer with the appropriate level of certification & education that can oversee your training, thereby substantially reducing the possibility of injury; doing this by yourself can have some very dire results, as I stated before- permanment injury.

Just please consider that I am telling you this because I have seen the injuries firsthand and understand the potential risk involved; I would not feel right if I heard a fellow shooter was injured training like this.

Good luck, think it through and drive on.

The idea is to have a place to post you accomplishments in training and to talk about Crossfit in general. So far since starting Crossfit it have been a life changing experience for me.

Todays workout really put the smack on me. I have another guy at work that just started and we were able to help spot each other during the bench set. I really push it hard today. I'm already feeling it. I'll be sore as hell in the morning. I'll try and make myself a good shake in the morning for breakfast. I'm always up for a good shake recipe if anyone has one.

Chris C.

Edited by MQW

You do not have to be at any sort of exceptional fitness level to reap the major beneifts of crossfit. I was pretty out of shape when I started Crossfit in July. The box i go to has an on-ramp program to explain what crossfit is and get a feel for what you can do physically (oly lifts, bodyweight stuff, etc etc)> Once the on-ramps are over, you go to elements classes, where 15-20 min of 1hr class is nothing but form practice with PVC pipes on whatever the lift is that day (if there is no lifting, the skil time is spent working on double unders, handstand holds, core work, etc). My first few times i did the WODs with the PVC bc i had ZERO lifting experience before crossfit. Ive since advanced and am going to Level 1 classes now and beginning to up my weights.

The scalability of crossfit is what I love about it. There are so many ways to modify a WOD to your skill level, whether is be weight adjustments, using bands for pullups, etc.

In order to train in the Cross Fit methodology, you MUST already be at an exceptional level of fitness and you MUST be coached by a trainer with the appropriate level of education & certification or you could be permanently injured.
The second part, I can agree with but the first...you're kidding right?

The second part, I can agree with but the first...you're kidding right?

I am new to this site and this thread, but i have going to crossfit for 3 years now, and when I started I was over weight and way out of shape. You definitely dont have to be in any shape to do it, every workout is scalable to your ability level. I agree that the use of a trainer is key and why crossfit is designed the way it is, with a trainer leading every workout. I try to stop at a new box whenever im traveling, and have been to quit a few different ones and each time the trainer is leading the class and ensuring proper from as to eliminate injuries. So far between me the 6 guys and 2 girls i always go with, none us have had any injuries besides a shin splint.

Edited by jacketjoed

Funny thing, MQW... I know an awful lot of Masters level athletes (ie, 45 and older) who started CrossFit a lot later in life than the point you're at who would disagree with you. I also know a lot of military units that would disagree ... say, the SEALs and Marine Corp Scout Snipers. And let's throw in the extremely large number of very NON-fit folks who begin the program every year and see incredible success with no injury...

You're right that you need a skilled trainer. The rest of it...

I've seen some injuries in the community - the vast majority of them are due to over training and greed on the part of the trainee, or failure to actually follow the coaching they're receiving. Sometimes, accidents happen (someone slips and falls, or twists an ankle on a run, or something to that effect). I've never seen an injury due to proper coaching of CrossFit fundamentals.

Speaking of CrossFit, are any of you guys going to participate in the Open this year?

No where near it, haha. Ive only been crossfitting for about 4 months. Maybe in a year or two ill give it a shot. A couple guys from my box are wanting to though. I think they might be able to do ok.

No where near it, haha. Ive only been crossfitting for about 4 months. Maybe in a year or two ill give it a shot. A couple guys from my box are wanting to though. I think they might be able to do ok.

Most everything that gets programmed should be do-able by just about anyone. And... you can still participate even if you scale the workouts ;-) Last year, they were all AMRAP (As Many Reps/Rounds As Possible) workouts, so the scoring is pretty straight forward, too. A lot of boxes will do a little weekly event around it - they're a lot of fun!

The idea is to have a place to post you accomplishments in training and to talk about Crossfit in general. So far since starting Crossfit it have been a life changing experience for me.

Todays workout really put the smack on me. I have another guy at work that just started and we were able to help spot each other during the bench set. I really push it hard today. I'm already feeling it. I'll be sore as hell in the morning. I'll try and make myself a good shake in the morning for breakfast. I'm always up for a good shake recipe if anyone has one.

Chris C.

Chris, are you using protein in your shakes? I use different fruits with milk and protein power. I have also tried fruit yogurt,its no to bad. Also orange juice with protein. Roc 159

Ok, here's the deal. Today I am beyond sore, I mean really bad. Chest feels like it can fall off at any monment. Question is if Saturday's WOD is upper body should I suffer thru it or take a break. My mind is saying suffer but I'm wondering if I will get anything out of it.

Also, can diet have anything to do with the soreness? I ate all the right foods yesterday but I don't think I ate enough. Only got to eat twice.

Chris C.

Chris, Six small meals a day. Your will have more energy and your body won't store the food you eat as fat. Because,it knows it will get feed again in a few hours. Eat something every 2 -2 1/2 hours.

• 1 month later...