Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why Not Winchester 9MM 147's

bruce282

Most of the posts I see about 147 9mm mention either MG or Zero, or sometimes both when talking about jacketed bullets. When I first got my 550b I ordered 500 Winchester 147JHP cause I couldn't find any Zero's. I was wondering why folks didn't use them as they always seem to be available. Is it $$$ only or is there something else. I know the price is crazy at Midway, 137.99 for 1k, but Powder Valley has them for 97.37, compared to 98.68 for Zero 147JHP. MG 147CMJ are 107 per 1k on their website.

Bruce

Edited by bruce282

Most people are shooting the bulk made JHP's or TMJ's because there is not lead exposed at the base of the bullet. The exposed lead can cause smoking with the really fast powders usually used in the competition reloads. It also raises your lead exposure breathing in vaporized lead fumes. For 3 or 4 dollars more per 1000, it is worth it. With the chaos of current prices, many are looking to other bullets and you will be seeing a lot of threads about tinkering with this powder and that bullet... Just a sign of the times. If prices would not have spiked like they did, I doubt you would have seen very much change.

Also, Zero and MG support USPSA shooting. That has weight with a lot of shooters.

Remington make a great match 147 also. Usually can be found @ Midwayusa.

Remington is top of the line 147gr bullet, they are also a match bullet,but are more expensive then other 147s.They are/were my exclusive compititon bullet for my G34.

If prices stay where they are,I will be moving to zero probably. As soon as I get back in the game fully.

Jeff

Edited by ghost21

I have pretty much allways used Winchester bullets in 9mm, Usually 124 FMJ's and 115 holllow base. I bought them in bulk from Midway when I catch a midnight madness sale, or a Birthday discount one order only deal.

I just went out to Powder Valley and the Winchester 147's are now $122 per 1k. WOW.

Bruce

That's the reason why more people don't use them. Zero, MG and HAPs are about $50 per thousand less and shoot great in almost anything. R,

G-Man, where is a good source / price for the HAPs? thanks

I've been told, by a regular here, and others that the lead base does not burn and does not increase your lead exposure when shooting. I don't know one way or the other, but several shooters including a top GM who teaches told me this was so. He also said the majority of exposure comes from cleaning your gun, or handling props which have been struck.

I just went out to Powder Valley and the Winchester 147's are now $122 per 1k. WOW.

Bruce

That's the reason why more people don't use them. Zero, MG and HAPs are about $50 per thousand less and shoot great in almost anything. R,

G-Man, where is a good source / price for the HAPs? thanks

Bruce, I'd normally say Powder Valley, but they seem to be out of them. Also note that the heaviest HAP is 125gr, but they do carry the 147XTP. It looks like Grafs has them in stock (www.grafs.com) and the 125gr HAP is $191 including shipping.

I've been told, by a regular here, and others that the lead base does not burn and does not increase your lead exposure when shooting. I don't know one way or the other, but several shooters including a top GM who teaches told me this was so. He also said the majority of exposure comes from cleaning your gun, or handling props which have been struck.

JT,

I've heard that as well, but I know that when I've shot lead or exposed lead base bullets in an Open gun there's lead in the comp so it has to be melting to some degree.

With that said, the biggest source of ingested lead from shooting comes from the primer. The priming mixture uses lead styphnate (sp?). When it detonates, the lead is atomized such that when you breathe it, it goes directly into your bloodstream (bad). Lead from handling bullets, props etc has to find a way into your blood to be a big problem as your skin doesn't absorb it very readily...so if you have an open cut, it would be wise to keep it covered.

JT,

I've heard that as well, but I know that when I've shot lead or exposed lead base bullets in an Open gun there's lead in the comp so it has to be melting to some degree.

With that said, the biggest source of ingested lead from shooting comes from the primer. The priming mixture uses lead styphnate (sp?). When it detonates, the lead is atomized such that when you breathe it, it goes directly into your bloodstream (bad). Lead from handling bullets, props etc has to find a way into your blood to be a big problem as your skin doesn't absorb it very readily...so if you have an open cut, it would be wise to keep it covered.

I have heard about the primers and what you say makes sense. I did a little test here with this last 6k of PD JHPs (exposed rear) I cleaned the comp out and then shot 5500 or so and tonight when I cleaned the gun I checked out the comp. There was some leading in there, but not a bunch. I think it would be neat to take some air samples off the comp with CMJs and FMJs and have them analyzed. I think that's the only way we will ever know what the real deal is. Everyone has an opinion on the subject, but empirical data is lacking.

I can believe that a fully exposed bullet would shed more lead due to the rifling stripping it away.

(continuing the thread drift)

I've heard the biggest source of lead contamination comes from tumbling brass. When you go to separate the media from the brass that dust flies up and you inhale it. That's why I like squirting some Nu-Finish car polish in there with a cap full or two odorless mineral spirits. In addition to keeping the dust down, the mineral spirits gets rid of the magic marker stripes I put on my cases.

Inhaling a substance is the quickest way to get anything into your bloodstream. Just think of coke-heads.

I wear latex gloves when I am reloading ammo and/or handling brass.

As far as my bullet selection goes it's based on these two criteria:

1. Does my gun function (near) 100% with it?

2. Is it cheap?

3. Is it accurate?

I'd rather go looking for a cheap bullet first (which used to be the plated Berry's, :unsure: ) and then hope that it runs reliably in my pistola(s). Then see if it is accurate enough for our purposes.

As far as getting lead in your comp from an exposed lead base bullet, I guess the only way to know for sure would be to weigh the bullet, the actual projectile, before it gets loaded into the case, (with a very accurate scale) then fire it into a 55 gallon drum of water. Recover the bullet, let it dry completely, then re-weigh it. See if there is a significant weight loss in that bullet (or 10 of 'em).

I wonder if it is not the lead styphanate from the primers accumulating on the comp. I'm no chemist but I have to wonder if there isn't maybe some natural attraction for lead to want to stick to steel (or stainless).

I wonder if hydrogen peroxide would get rid of lead off a stainless comp. I'd be too afraid of it rusting up a carbon steel comp. Titanium comps, I have no idea. There's always the Libman copper brillo pad trick too.

Edited by Chills1994