Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

550 Casefeeder Modified For 223

I had to make three modifications and use a 9mm 550 casefeed conversion

1) Notch the "Casefeed Adapter" so a 223 case can be pushed out by the "CF Plunger". Easily done with a Dremel cutting wheel.

2) Grind a little bit off the "Station 1 Locator" so that it sits flush with the "Platform Assembly". Using a small stone wheel on a Dremel tool and a file to keep it flat.

3) Grind a little off of the "Casefeed Cam". Reshaping it so the case enters the shell plate sooner.

The first problem with trying to use the 550 casefeeder to load 223 is there is no casefeed adapter for 223. In this modification I cut a notch in a 9mm casefeed adapter. I used a cutting wheel on my Dremel tool to cut it 1/8" higher than a 223 case. I took the measurement from the station 1 locator.

The second problem is that the station 1 locator does not sit flush with the platform. This is fixed by grinding a little bit off the shoulders on the bottom side of the locator where it rests on the casefeed body. This keeps the tall case from tipping as it enters the shellplate.

Now the third problem is the 223 case hits the decapping pin before it enters the shellplate. Using a grinder I changed the profile of the casefeed cam to allow the case to clear the decapping pin. Where the casefeed bearing rides on the casefeed cam it is shaped like a rounded "V". I changed it to a "U" shape. This allows the case to enter the shellplate sooner. I took off less than a 1/4" of metal and it works great. I use an RCBS sizing die because its decapping pin does not extend down as far as the Dillon. Therefore the casefeed cam profile change is kept to a minimum. You can try taking more off of the cam to make Dillon’s die work. I did not have one to test on it.

I can now run the brass through sizing it without getting lube on my fingers. After processing the brass then I fill the casefeeder up again and start loading them. I guess I am lazy and had a spare Saturday. It only cost me a 9mm casefeed conversion kit. I already had the small rifle casefeed plate, 223-550 caliber conversion, and the RCBS dies. I use the casefeeder to load 9mm, 40cal, and 223.

I had to make three modifications and use a 9mm 550 casefeed conversion

1) Notch the "Casefeed Adapter" so a 223 case can be pushed out by the "CF Plunger". Easily done with a Dremel cutting wheel.

2) Grind a little bit off the "Station 1 Locator" so that it sits flush with the "Platform Assembly". Using a small stone wheel on a Dremel tool and a file to keep it flat.

3) Grind a little off of the "Casefeed Cam". Reshaping it so the case enters the shell plate sooner.

The first problem with trying to use the 550 casefeeder to load 223 is there is no casefeed adapter for 223. In this modification I cut a notch in a 9mm casefeed adapter. I used a cutting wheel on my Dremel tool to cut it 1/8" higher than a 223 case. I took the measurement from the station 1 locator.

The second problem is that the station 1 locator does not sit flush with the platform. This is fixed by grinding a little bit off the shoulders on the bottom side of the locator where it rests on the casefeed body. This keeps the tall case from tipping as it enters the shellplate.

Now the third problem is the 223 case hits the decapping pin before it enters the shellplate. Using a grinder I changed the profile of the casefeed cam to allow the case to clear the decapping pin. Where the casefeed bearing rides on the casefeed cam it is shaped like a rounded "V". I changed it to a "U" shape. This allows the case to enter the shellplate sooner. I took off less than a 1/4" of metal and it works great. I use an RCBS sizing die because its decapping pin does not extend down as far as the Dillon. Therefore the casefeed cam profile change is kept to a minimum. You can try taking more off of the cam to make Dillon’s die work. I did not have one to test on it.

I can now run the brass through sizing it without getting lube on my fingers. After processing the brass then I fill the casefeeder up again and start loading them. I guess I am lazy and had a spare Saturday. It only cost me a 9mm casefeed conversion kit. I already had the small rifle casefeed plate, 223-550 caliber conversion, and the RCBS dies. I use the casefeeder to load 9mm, 40cal, and 223.

Donnie,

Thanks for sharing that info.

I have a 550B also and load mostly .223 with it (approx 15,000 rounds per year) for use at the 200-300 yd line in highpower matches. LC brass, CCI BR4 primers, VV N135 powder, Sierra 77's loaded to mag length.

I do case prep on one tool head

Station #1 Redding Universal decap die

powder die and measure and Redding Dillon sizing die with decap stem removed

Station #3 Sinclair body die die with mandral to unform inside of necks

Station #4 Not used

I do loading loading on a second tool head

Station #1 Not used

Station #2 Dillon powder die and Dillon measure

Station #3 Redding Comp seating die

Station #4 Dillon crimp die set to just barely kiss the top edge of brass

If I could ask a few questions as I would like to try what you did, using a casefeeder to load .223 on a 550B.

Everyone I know here who loads .223 on a Dillon has a 550B with no casefeeder.

I have never even seen a casefeeder in person for the 550B or the 650 so I am unsure exactly how the things work.

Did you purchase a Dillon 550B casefeeder in 9mm and adapt it to .223

did you use a Dillon 650 casefeeder in 9mm an adapt it to .223?

Any further info especially with some pictures would be very, very helpful.

Step by step instructions would be invaluable.

You're post outlines some of the work but it is difficult to visualize some of it because of my not having seen or worked with a casefeeder before.

Thank you,

Dan

Danhits@aol.com

Dan,

I have a 550 casefeeder I use for 9mm and 40cal. I modified the 9mm casefeed adapter to 223 because it is real close to the same diameter. It works as good as a 650.

I am working on some videos to show it working and will put a link on here for anyone interested.

There are some before and after pictures that I will post when I can figure out how.

It would be difficult to explain how the 550 casefeeder works. The video should help.

Send me a message if you have any questions after you see how it works.

Donnie

I applaud that you figured out how to make it work with 223 rifle cases, and are sharing the information. :cheers: However, IMO, the Dillon 550 will loose market share unless they start selling a 550 casefeeder that can load rifle out of the box. The Hornandy LNL is auto indexing and has a case feeder that works with rifle cases. Besides pistol cases, 223 rifle is probably the most popular round that is loaded in high volume.

Come on Dillon...just do it ! Otherwise we will probably get some BS when we call to tell you that we mangled up all the parts to do this modification, and need some more free parts to mangle until we get it right :rolleyes:

Edited by mike_in_md

Mike,

I too will stand and applaud Donnie for having figured out how to make a Dillon 550B casefeeder made for 9mm work with .223 rifle cases. The fact that Donnie is going to the time and trouble to share the info with us all is much appreciated. I too wish Dillon would start selling a 550 casefeeder that can load rifle (especially .223) right out of the box.

It is true that the Hornandy LNL is auto indexing and has a case feeder that works with rifle cases. A friend of mine just got a Hornandy LNL and it is a pretty darn good machine from what I have seen. The junior team is using it right now for their needs. Thank you Hornady.

This machine will rival the Dillon 650. Personally, I really like my Dillon 550B and wish to stay loyal to Dillon for several reasons. For the present time, I prefer manuel indexing myself, which is why I haven't traded up for a 650. This system works best for me, the way I prep brass on one toolhead and load ammo on a second toolhead.

I agree with Mike, Come on Dillon...just do it ! If Donnie has figured out a successful way to get it right it seems odd that Dillon would not also have been able to do it with their blessing no less. Maybe someone from Dillon will see this and respond, hopefully with an announcement that Dillon is going to do it and soon.

Donnie,

I will look forward to your future postings with before and after pics and also of the possible video. That would be very, very helpful. I will thank you again for taking an interest and sharing.

I shoot across the course in highpower with an AR15 service rifle in northern and southern California, Arizona, Ilinois, Ohio, ect. I shoot with four different clubs and am on a club team as well. There are many shooters between the groups. adults and juniors. Over forty of us went to the nationals at Camp Perry last year. There are many groups like ours that load alot of ammo each year.

Most all of us load on a Dillon 550B. Some have the Dillon 650. I myself loaded and shot over 10,000 .223 rounds of short line (200-300 yd line) ammo last year alone. Not one single misfire, problem or alibi called for. The Dillon 550B is an awesome little machine.

There is a plus and a minus to each machine. I as well as others just happen to like the manual indexing system a little better than an auto indexing machine. There are many of us interested in a .223 casefeeder for the 550B.

Thanks again both Mike and Donnie.

Dan

We have played with 223 on the 550 casefeeder. Quite simply, we have serious concerns about the long term longevity of the modified parts, and weren't satisfied with the reliability of feeding the 223 cases. Keep in mind we warranty the feeder for lifetime. If we aren't satisifed that it works reliably to our level of standards, or that it won't hold up in the long run, then we can't market it.

It may be you found a different way to modify the cam than we did(but we have tried about 6 or 7 different cam angles). Keep track of exactly how many failures to feed over 250,000 or so rounds, then report back on it.

We aren't closed at all to the idea, but after spending a fair amount of R&D time on it, we simply didn't feel it meet our standards of reliability and longevity

at this time, and have since gone onto other projects.(never enough time to play with all the ideas and concepts)

Best of luck on it, and please keep us all posted. :cheers:

Dillon, thank you for updating us on the progress of the 550 casefeeding 223. I am a loyal customer that appreciates just having a casefeeder for my 550. You have my word that I will not claim any warranty for the parts that I have experimented with.

I think that the key to making this work for me is not just modifying the Cam but also the "Station #1 Locator". When these parts are aligned casefeeding is reliable. The only feeding problems I have encountered is with bent caseheads and trying to rush while loading.

As for the longevity, only time will tell. The casefeeder itself is still fairly new and I have only loaded 3000 223's succesfully on it.

While I am not going to be able to report back on casefeed failures loading 1/4 million rounds. I can start keeping track of what I do load.

If you are interested I will ship these parts back so you can give them a try. My only goal is to help the reloading community and your products have already made a huge impact on that.

Thanks Again,

Donnie

seems like a ton of work to bypass $70 and just buy a 650 with the casefeeder in the first place, not to mention the possibility of compromising Dillon's excellent warranty ;)

Smokshwn, I agree 100%. The only problem is I already have a 550 and I made it work for less than $70. The 650 is not recommended as a first press. So after you have learned on a 550 one option would be to sell it and upgrade to the 650. Well to me it would be like selling my first gun. So instead I made it work for my needs. :)

Dillon is watching and listening.

Thank you all at Dillon.

I am still lovin' and staying loyal to Dillon equipment in general and my keeping my 550B.

This could get interesting.

Good job Donnie.

Post the pics and the video when you can.

Maybe you can be the one to tip this over the edge so those of us in the unwashed masses who want to have a casefeeder with a manual indexing machine can get just that.

Thanks for reply Dillon,,

I dont have much interest in the rifle, and and cheaper than I am lazy so havent bought the pistol brass feeder. But have you thought of a dedicated .223 brass feed device instead of a caliber conversion ? A tool designed from gorund up specifically to feed only 5.56? I myself am an High volume loader but only load one caliber in volume (40) I bet quite a few 223 volume loaders only load volume in 223 and might be interested in a dedicated 223 system.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Almost 4 years in the making... any updates on this topic??? Other than wishing I would have bought a 650 as my first press!

Maybe not the best choice as a 1st press the 650, but deff the option if you are going to add another to the stable

I started with 550, wanted case feeder and auto index, brought 650.. brought SQD, brought 650, wanted swage station, brought RL1050, sold SQD, sold RL1050, brought Super 1050

Have 550, 2x 650 and Super now, 3x case feeders, 2x bullet feeders and 1x autodrive.

550 with casefeeder - personally I dont see much advantage - case feed and auto index is a BIG advantage IMHO

The 650 and 550 are different beasts and different reasons.

Perosnally I think small cases - pistol and 223 are a 650s main diet, and the longer and oddball stuff is well suited to a 550 as easy to change over and cheap especially given they are usually lower volume.

Edited by Spanners

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

I load .223 on my 550 with casefeeder.

I decap/size all brass in my RCBS Rockchucker. I then use my Frankford Arsenal trimmer to trim to length & chamfer, and to ream out any crimped primer pockets. (Hornady small reamer)

I used a Dremel on my spare 9mm (green) casefeed adapter.

Station 1 has a 40cal sizing die (decapper removed) as a guide, just to keep brass upright during up/down stroke. Primers are pressed in here. By sizing/decapping in a separate press there was no need to modify the cam.

Station 2 is powder

Station 3 is seating die

Station 4 is a Lee crimp die.

The only extra cost was the small rifle plate for the casefeeder.

Edited by pmt