Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI Edge max overall length in 40sw

Alaskapopo

You should be able to load up to 1.230or longer with no problem. If I may suggest start with 1.210 to 1.220. Load only long enough to feed properly and be consistant in velocity. A good starting load is 1.210 with 5.0 to 5.1 of Titegroup on a 180gr Jacketed bullet. I use MG and they are very consistant in weight and diameter.

I too load my FP 180grs .40" at 1.180", and they work flawlessly in my SVI Competition.

It is my understanding that you can load .40" up to .45" max lenght in an S_I, since they use the same frame and mag size, the only difference, except for lips spacing, being the .40" mag "squeezed in" grooves on the sides (compared to a .45" one), to prevent double-stacked rounds jamming upon being pushed up or down.

Edited by Skywalker

Mine came from Dawson and as an experiment I've loaded some out as far as 1.270 and they were fine. Each barrel will be different and the bullet might hit the rifling if you go too long (a bad thing). You'll be fine if you load some at around 1.18-1.20" to start with.

I have reservations about loading long......as in more than 1.18" I've never had issues loading to 1.180" or even 1.160" or 1.140". I know Bob Londrigan recommends loading to 1.220" and some people drink gallons of that Kool Aid and thats fine. I've had three friends......two of which are on this board who have had detonations while ejecting a long loaded bullet with extended ejectors. While unloading and showing clear the long bullets were pulled rearward by the extractor so far to clear the ejection port that the ejector slid over and popped the primer. BrianATL has a nice large half moon shaped scar on the palm of his hand from where this happened. He had is hand wrapped over the slide to capture the loaded round while unloading to show clear and.....KABOOM. The other two guys had hands clear and received nice shrapnel showers to the face. One was on unload and show clear.....the other was in the middle of a stage when he had a light strike and went into a remedial action drill. Will it happen to you if you load long.......could be never. I've seen it enough times that I'd like to try to prevent it from happening to me. But like I said......I load to 1.180" and have not had any problems. I have another friend who has an Edge who loads Ranier 180's out to 1.220". He occasionally has feed problems where the round hits up too high on the feed ramp and indents into the nose of the bullet stopping the round from entering the chamber. When you hand cycle the long rounds you see it hit. Rounds loaded to 1.180" they hit in the middle of the ramp and ride smoothly up. Use caution if you load long when unloading a live round :unsure:

Edited by 00bullitt

I have a stock STI Edge and drink the koolaid to an extent. This was my

first 2011, I load to 1.18 but when I first got it I only had plastic gun ammo

loaded so I went through all that first. I think it was like 1.135, about a thousand

rounds and not one failure. I do know that longer oal does run at lower

presures and feels softer!!

Edited by DIRTY CHAMBER

• 2 weeks later...

Well 1.20 ran great thanks guys. I am working on a load. First load I loaded up for competition was 6.7 grains of N340 and my velocities averaged 1125 fps. I used that load for my first match. I tried 6.3 grains yeasterday and my velocity average was 1000 right on the dot. Now I am going to move up to 6.5 grains and hopefully split the difference.

Pat

You should be able to load up to 1.230or longer with no problem. If I may suggest start with 1.210 to 1.220. Load only long enough to feed properly and be consistant in velocity. A good starting load is 1.210 with 5.0 to 5.1 of Titegroup on a 180gr Jacketed bullet. I use MG and they are very consistant in weight and diameter.

Hey Carl, what PF are you getting out of the combination, are those FP or JHP's your using. H

Well 1.20 ran great thanks guys. I am working on a load. First load I loaded up for competition was 6.7 grains of N340 and my velocities averaged 1125 fps. I used that load for my first match. I tried 6.3 grains yeasterday and my velocity average was 1000 right on the dot. Now I am going to move up to 6.5 grains and hopefully split the difference.

Pat

Sounds like you're using 165gr bullets. If you like snappy loads, those should be fine. If you want something softer shooting, give 180s a try with N320 and you'll probably be surprised how much difference there is. In my Edge 4.9gr of 320 behind a Zero 180jhp in a Starline case at 1.20" gives me a 170pf. If I switch to Win cases I can drop down to 4.75gr as they have slightly less case volume.

Pat

Sounds like you're using 165gr bullets. If you like snappy loads, those should be fine. If you want something softer shooting, give 180s a try with N320 and you'll probably be surprised how much difference there is. In my Edge 4.9gr of 320 behind a Zero 180jhp in a Starline case at 1.20" gives me a 170pf. If I switch to Win cases I can drop down to 4.75gr as they have slightly less case volume.

Honestly I ordered the 165 grain bullets by mistake but the price was good. I just ordered 2000 180 grain JHP's. I can't find N320 anywhere. I may be able to con a friend out of a pound of it. Otherwise I am stuck with N340, Powerpistol, Bullseye and Unique.

Pat

Pat

Honestly I ordered the 165 grain bullets by mistake but the price was good. I just ordered 2000 180 grain JHP's. I can't find N320 anywhere. I may be able to con a friend out of a pound of it. Otherwise I am stuck with N340, Powerpistol, Bullseye and Unique.

Pat

Yeah, I can imagine it's a little tougher in AK getting supplies. I know Powder Valley has 320 in stock and other places like Grafs usually do too. If you can get a couple of people to do a group order you can cut down the impact of the hazmat fees and shipping. I know PV will combine primers and powder together under the same hazmat so that helps. R,

340 and 180's are surprisingly soft and clean. A local shooter uses that combo, I have run a couple hands full of them through my guns and compared them to my loads. I could use that load with no problems at all. It has a little different feel, but I was surprised how pleasant it was. Almost felt like 200's with a very fast powder, kind of a slow roller recoil without the snap push you get from TG or similar speed powders.

Pat

Pat

Yeah, I can imagine it's a little tougher in AK getting supplies. I know Powder Valley has 320 in stock and other places like Grafs usually do too. If you can get a couple of people to do a group order you can cut down the impact of the hazmat fees and shipping. I know PV will combine primers and powder together under the same hazmat so that helps. R,

I found some tightgroup and I manadged to con a friend out of a pound of N320 that he had. So I will give both a try. Thanks for your help again.

pat