Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing a 1911

Happy

Hello all, I have a few simple but maybe controversial questions. Newbie to the game not to guns. I've been a gun nut for about 25 yrs. With so many choices of 1911 today where does a guy start? Value, reliability, accuracy, contingency program, resale, looks, cast, forged, foreign, U.S.A., double stack, single stack, blued, stainless, hard chrome. Are you starting to get the idea? I thought I wanted an STI Trojan, then I switched to a Les Baer Premier II. Now I think I should just shoot my G34 for a year, see what everyone is shooting in my area, as far as 1911s go, then decide. Thanks in advance, Heath

I started with a Glock 34 for the first year then when I found out what I wanted, I got a Kimber Stainless Target in 9mm. When I started reloading, I got a 45acp 1911, then finally got a custom STI.

Shoot the 34 for a year and look at what other people have then find out what you want so you don't end up selling it for another gun you want more.

Shoot a year in production, then get a 1911 for single stack or shoot limited 10.

Randy

If you can afford a custom built gun like Les Baer then I would have one of the many 'smiths out there build me a custom STI. Best of all worlds in my opinion. If budget were an issue, as in my case, I would go with an STI Trojan tuned by Dawson or Brazos. Excellant option and lower cost. If you are going to shoot competition, USPSA or IDPA, get the STI. You may just cash in on the contigency! ;)

If you're going to shoot Single Stack you can't have a double stack gun...so that may narrow it down some.

I had to get a gun ready for Single Stack and talked with a few 'smiths and they all seemed to think that taking an STI Trojan and upgrading/tuning it would result in a gun that ran perfectly, was more than accurate enough and would last a long time....so that's what I did. Bought the gun, new trigger group (trigger, sear, disconnector, hammer, sear spring, mainspring, Ti mainspring cap, Ti strut) a Techwell magwell/alumagrips and sent it to the 'smith. I have about $1600-1700 in it and it shoots really, really well. I've put about 1500 rounds through it in the last couple of weeks and it's fed everything. The only thing I had to do was tweek my handload oal so it would reliably feed from slide lock and that's a pretty common issue with single stacks in .40S&W. If I had the same 'smith build a gun up to similar specs he said it would add $500 or more to the total cost and have taken longer (I needed it by a particular date). I would have had a slightly better frame and maybe a slightly better fit, but it wouldn't have been a huge amount better and nothing you'd see in the results.

I'm a big fan of supporting those companies that really support our sport...hence the STI purchase. I also was fortunate enough to cash in on their contingency program by winning my class at an Area match, so that's a cool benefit.

Edit for brain fade :o

Edited by G-ManBart

You really need to decide what division you want to shoot in.

A single stack 1911 in .45 won't do for Limited, for example. So decide if you want to shoot Limited, Limited 10, or Single Stack, and start from there. It certainly wouldn't hurt to spend a while shooting your G-34, and just ask people at matches to let you try out their guns. Most will let you fire off a few rounds no problem, and maybe you can get someone to lend you one for a whole match. Then you'll get a much better idea of what you want. Ultimately, you'll probably wind up with a single stack .45 AND a high cap .40 if you stay in it long enough.

After that, buy a good quality gun. Any of the major brands are fine. Kimber, Springfield, Sig, S&W, STI, all make good single stack 1911s in .45 caliber. If you want a double stack, or you want a .40 cal, or something else, then the number of choices decreases.

DD

I have several 1911's, I have a STI Trojan 5" in 9mm, excellent gun, I also have the Target Master in 9mm, excellent gun, I have a custom built Les Baer 6" in 9mm excellent gun......I would shoot what I have unitll I decided what I wanted.........Then remember, you will never be happy with anything you buy if you are settling for something that you don't want. Been their done that.........

Greg in VA

If you can afford a custom built gun like Les Baer ....

Let's be clear, Baer, Wilson, Nighthawk et al are not frame up custom built to order pistols. They are high end "semi-customs" with some handwork, usually in the barrel fitting and the like. (FWIW if I had my choice of the above I'd go Baer)

Rocket35 is right. By the time you "pull the trigger" $2k+++ of semi-custom single stack, you should give serious look to a true frame up custom high cap. Venry @ Radical, Dan Bedell, Benny Hill and Rich @ Canyon Creek are a good place to start. Hell, I bet they build you a UNIQUE skinny gun better than a semi-custom for less money.

Bottom line is, if you are looking to re-sell, the semi-custom from a name is easier to market with price point reference, but if you buy smart, once, then you'll be better served by the true custom.

Shoot your glock and get familiar with the different divisions before you drop a chuck of change. You don't want to go out and buy a custom gun that you can't shoot in this division or that division. See it happen with someone who bought a full dust cover/light rail TRP SA 1911. Basically stuck in L10 with that gun. Now your G34, shoot it in USPSA and IDPA and have fun.

For what it's worth I just finished my fourth season shooting. I started with a glock 21 and kydex holster, mag pouches and a stiff belt. After 2 months got a glock 35. Shot production my first two seasons, while looking at other peoples guns and gear. third season bought a used STI built by benny hill and shot in lim 10 and limited after half a season with that gun I had my first custom built. After that I have added to the collection but I think I did it right shoot what you have first and know what you want befor you buy. No matter what you will need a good inner outer belt system. Good luck.

Thanks for all of the replies. One more question,If I was to have a custom gun built on an STI frame and slide does that entitle me to the contingency program?

Custom built on just an STI frame is enough for the program with no need to worry about who's slide it is. Half the time you can't really tell who made the slide anyway. R,

I have looked at the Taurus and was not impressed by what they did to the Heinie Sights. The front sight is to thick and they chopped them off. That, prior experience with them and having other fine 1911s' took them off my list. I would rather get a used Norinco or Springfield and have them built up my way.

Bottom line is, if you are looking to re-sell, the semi-custom from a name is easier to market with price point reference, but if you buy smart, once, then you'll be better served by the true custom.

Can you elaborate on this? I have a Nighthawk Talon right now and have been banging my head whether to sell it or not. How much difference would it be if I were to buy a STI Trojan and have Benny Hill or another reputable person work their magic on it? Is it the parts that they use or is it the attention to detail? both?

Can you elaborate on this? I have a Nighthawk Talon right now and have been banging my head whether to sell it or not. How much difference would it be if I were to buy a STI Trojan and have Benny Hill or another reputable person work their magic on it? Is it the parts that they use or is it the attention to detail? both?

It would probably be a whole lot cheaper to get what you want done to the Talon, and just shoot that, provided you're ok with making the pistol somewhat unattractive on the used market from competition use and modifications. <shrug>

You've got a forged frame, custom-fit slide, match barrel, tool steel parts, etc. etc. Replace the sights to your liking, maybe get a different magwell...How much more magical do you think an $895 Trojan is going to be? :)

You've got a forged frame, custom-fit slide, match barrel, tool steel parts, etc. etc. Replace the sights to your liking, maybe get a different magwell...How much more magical do you think an $895 Trojan is going to be? :)

Exactly my point. So what is it that differentiates a semi-custom from a true custom?

Happy, I agree with all those saying shoot what you have for a season. As to your question you are not going to be happy with anything if it isn't reliable!!! Price doesn't make it reliable!!! Having to send it back with reliability problems is expensive and time consuming and will not make you happy. Whatever you decide make sure your mags are tuned with the gun. If they can't be - look somewhere else. Someone on another site said that you should use the mags of the manufacturer whose gun you choose. I don't disagree or agree because most of the builders/companies were not around when I started 25+ years ago and haven't used most of their products. In 45 an 38 super single stack Wilson and Chip McCormick have worked for me and that is what I use in my carry 45 and in compitition. My smith tunes mags for me and the gun and mag combos feed empty cases. Good luck

Exactly my point. So what is it that differentiates a semi-custom from a true custom?

Where I was going was something to the effect of:

If you start with a Baer or Nighthawk, don't muck it up and decide it's not for you, it's a known model and people have a price point from the catalog to reference.

If you have Joe Shadetree 'smith build you something, it's a crap shoot and a non-local buyer won't want to pay premium for it.

Highend, known gunsmiths do at least as well as large company semi-customs in resale. :cheers:

If you are looking at resale value, you will have a much bigger group of potential buyers for Baer, Nighthawk or Wilson than from a custom builder. A competitive shooter will know the smiths but the average person will not. Your average buyer will buy on name and reputation ie Wilson etc.

If you are building the gun for competition get a custom build the way you want it and don't plan on selling it.

Probably -- with a true custom -- a cheaper frame and parts, final cost being equal. :)

Again, *IMO-only*, the 1911 world, with a number of quality semi-custom shops, is a bit different from the 2011 world.

Just remembered after my first post that STI a small company from Texas had made a big move and will no longer sell to police, DEA, Fed or what have you because of the micro stamping law (they stopped selling to civilians because of other requirements on them as a co.). Their CA. LEO sales weren't great but the civilian USPSA and IDPA would be worthwhile. For that reason I would go with something from them to say thanks. Check Brownells for matching slide/frame kit and other parts.