Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Choosing a 1911

Happy

The STI Trojan from Brazos with their trigger job and tune and their microdot front sight, then I threw on an S&A magwell and a Nowlin extended mag catch and magwell mating grips, all for just over $1k complete and shipped, has been as good as $2k+ custom 1911s I have, and I see no reason to pay any more. :cheers:

except for maybe hand checkering on the front strap, which I really like. :closedeyes: But one can live without that considering the price.

Edited by Eager

• 1 month later...

This is what I will ordering this weekend

Trojan 9mm 5" blued with tuning package and FO front sight from Dawson or Brazos

Going to change the following parts - mostly for the contrasting looks

SS ambi safeties - I am a lefty

SS high rise beavertail

SS mag catch

SVI trigger with silver short flat insert

SVI Single stack magwell in black

Pachymar wood and rubber grips - I can not think of the model number right now.

This is going to be my SS / Steel challenge and PPC type match pistol. It will be a sweet shooter and just as good a looker.

In the future I will be getting a Spartan or Trojan in 45 ACP and set it up the same way.

By the way, that is my Springer loaded 9mm in the picture under my name to the left. It has over 20k rounds through it with all it's stock parts still intact. All I did to it was get a trigger job and put a SVI magwell and trigger in it.

Edited by toddrod

STI Custom or Semi. They support the sport. You can get contingency money. They stood their ground on the stupid microstamping crap, and made a good gesture that the rest of the firearm companies would follow if they're wise.

I think you need to decide what you want to shoot and what gun you like the most. Just think , you buy the bees knees in a Racing Super, paying big bucks, and then find that you are more interested in PD. You never really get all your money back, no matter who made the gun(except maybe in a Purdy). Shoot what you have for a while and then decide on the Division that blows your dress up. Once you have decided n the specific Division get yourself the best blaster you can get your hands on. Stick to that blaster and change it as you needs change.

Personally I shoot Standard gun and just about everybody that makes a 1911 type of gun has one of his parts in the gun. I got to know a good `smith and together we are building the "perfect" SD gun for me. Other shooters think that Frankenstuff is hideous but she is a sweet shooter that put then in the A all day long. I don`t think she knows how to have a stoppage as she never had one before. Most importantly she was built for me and as I develop in the sport so does she. Next she will probably "grow" a handmade 500gr full length dust cover. Will I ever get my money back if I decide to sell her? you have to be joking!!

• 1 year later...
Hello all, I have a few simple but maybe controversial questions. Newbie to the game not to guns. I've been a gun nut for about 25 yrs. With so many choices of 1911 today where does a guy start? Value, reliability, accuracy, contingency program, resale, looks, cast, forged, foreign, U.S.A., double stack, single stack, blued, stainless, hard chrome. Are you starting to get the idea? I thought I wanted an STI Trojan, then I switched to a Les Baer Premier II. Now I think I should just shoot my G34 for a year, see what everyone is shooting in my area, as far as 1911s go, then decide. Thanks in advance, Heath

I was in the same situation. I just started shooting uspsa/IPSC this year. What I had at hand to work with is a Kimber Classic II. It is 100% box stock. The only thing I did was purchase Wilson mags. It has been totally reliable and it is capable of good scores when I do my part. I am fortunate to belong to a club that shoots every week and the other members have taken me under their wings and helped me improve considerably. I think the most important thing to do is to just get out there and shoot. Take your time researching a new gun and make sure you get what you really want before spending a mortgage payment on one.