Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Wild speculation needed

Revopop

I was poking around on the Lone Wolf site and discovered this.

Apparently they'll be selling complete topends in Limited and Open with their frames and slides. :goof: I've got a G35 that I enjoy but I wish it was a 9mm. Conversion barrel is out because of the greater diameter than a G34 barrel, but do you suppose the LWD topend would be permissible if it's made to the same dimensions as a standard Glock topend?

I'm all atwitter with excitement, and even though I'd ask Amidon before actually buying one, I'd like to get some opinions on the possible "legal" implications for Production.

I don't know if the slide cuts on the front will make it illegal, but it's worth a shot to shoot an email to NROI and ask. I thought someone already emailed and JA said it was OK but I can't find the thread. 2008 Appendix D4...

Found the thread where the question was asked about Caspian and LWD slides...

08' Rules about aftermarket glock slides

21 Authorized modifications

(Strictly limited to these

items and their stated

guidelines)

•Internal throating and polishing to improve accuracy,

reliability and function

•Sights – trimmed, adjusted, replaced, colored, or

fiber-optic.

•Slide – refinishing. Milling of slide – only as

required to insert sights.

•After-market slides and barrels – provided they are

the same length, contour, and caliber as original factory

standard.

•Grips – Internal beveling. Checkering, stippling, and

addition of grip tape or grip sleeves. (see Appendix

E4)

•Exchange of minor components (springs, safeties,

slide stops, guide rods).

Edited by HoMiE

I think you could put one on the 35 in .40 cal but I don't think the 9mm caliber change is going to be legal (I hate this rule BTW). Although to be honest. There is no way to tell lf a Glock frame is made for 9mm or .40 once the slide and ejector is switched. You would be the only one to know.

Apparently they'll be selling complete topends in Limited and Open with their frames and slides. :goof:I've got a G35 that I enjoy but I wish it was a 9mm. Conversion barrel is out because of the greater diameter than a G34 barrel, but do you suppose the LWD topend would be permissible if it's made to the same dimensions as a standard Glock topend?

I'm all atwitter with excitement, and even though I'd ask Amidon before actually buying one, I'd like to get some opinions on the possible "legal" implications for Production.

The EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel works just fine in my G35.

Why would a 9mm drop-in barrel going into a .40 have a larger diameter than the stock barrel?

Edited by bountyhunter

Why would a 9mm drop-in barrel going into a .40 have a larger diameter than the stock barrel?

It doesn't. The 9mm conversion barrel is the same outside diameter as the .40 barrel. The problem is the conversion 40-to-9 barrel ends up being a little thicker than a stock 9mm barrell, thus being a little bit heavier. NROI considers this illegal since it goes against the spirit of the production division.

I can tell you this:

First, if you search here, you'll find posts referring to John Amidon's comments to the effect that a complete new caliber but factory stock top end on a universal lower (such as you will find on Glocks and XD's) is OK. Basically, you would be replacing factory parts with other factory parts, and while the gun you end up with is a different caliber from the one you started with, it is a firearm that is completely in spec with the factory configuration for either caliber. This was as of two years ago.

Second, as HoMie kindly pointed out, I emailed JA directly about the use of the Lone Wolf slides. They may be aftermarket, they may come with front cocking serrations that the Glock OEM (I guess the new rule book calls them OFM) slides don't, but they have the same "contour" as the original, and that is OK per JA. That even includes the Caspian slides that don't have the milled out top for the G34/35 slides.

So, an aftermarket slide of the same caliber is kosher under the new rules, a different caliber top end on a receiver shared by both models was fine under the old rules, and the logic under the old rules (should) still apply under the newer, considerably more open Production criteria.

There are some, and I understand the purist's view, that frown on aftermarket parts of any kind. Still the new rules allow them, and I don't think anybody will know or care if you start with a G34 and end up with a G35 or vice versa.

It doesn't. The 9mm conversion barrel is the same outside diameter as the .40 barrel. The problem is the conversion 40-to-9 barrel ends up being a little thicker than a stock 9mm barrell, thus being a little bit heavier. NROI considers this illegal since it goes against the spirit of the production division.

OK. makes sense.

Apparently they'll be selling complete topends in Limited and Open with their frames and slides. :goof: I've got a G35 that I enjoy but I wish it was a 9mm. Conversion barrel is out because of the greater diameter than a G34 barrel, but do you suppose the LWD topend would be permissible if it's made to the same dimensions as a standard Glock topend?

If you make your G35 a G34 you will have to make weight of a G34.

The maximum weight can't be over 2 oz of a stock G34.

Of course, if the weight allowance is 2.00 ounces and the conversion barrel to make a G35 equivalent to a G34 is only 0.50-0.60 ounces heavier, shouldn't it be allowed? But, back to slides.

Anyone know how much LWD and Caspian slides weigh relative to the original G34 and G35 versions?

Edited by mpolans

. There is no way to tell lf a Glock frame is made for 9mm or .40 once the slide and ejector is switched. You would be the only one to know.

:D On the stock slide there is this big number stamped on the side that might kind of give away this "secret". You know, the one that say ".40" on it & the one that says "Glock 35". Other than the engraving & the hole in the slide for the barrel, they are identical, though.

I'm pretty sure an aftermarket slide will not be acceptable in production. Check with Amidon, though.

MLM

Anyone know how much LWD and Caspian slides weigh relative to the original G34 and G35 versions?

Steel is steel, Tenifered or Stainless. Provided the internal milling is the same, I'd guess there won't be 2 oz difference for the LW slide. Also, there's some metal removed for the front cocking serrations, and I think the ejection port is a lowered a bit for the aftermarket versions. I'll let you know when I get mine (LW).

The Caspian's aren't milled out on top - very likely heavier than the LW, and possibly heavier than the OFM slide.

I have (2) LWD slides in 9mm and the spec.'s are different I can only assume it was two different batches. Other than that I like them. I don't shoot production so it was not a concern. I use them for two different open top ends. the ejection port is lower but not enough if you plan on using a low sight mount (c-more style). Caliber designation is shown on the underside of the slide, just above the barrel. I can only assume this is for all calibers.

it looks like if you have a LWD .40 slide and use a 9mm barrel there would be no way to tell unless you took the gun apart.

It is nice to see someone who is concerned about the "legal" implications for Production.

There seems to be some people who have the notion that if you don't get caught then it is OK.

I commend you for intent to play within the rules that were created to keep a level playing field for all particapants.

Dave

Of course, if the weight allowance is 2.00 ounces and the conversion barrel to make a G35 equivalent to a G34 is only 0.50-0.60 ounces heavier, shouldn't it be allowed? But, back to slides.

I went to the site and I do not even see a G34 slide being offered.

Slav

• 3 months later...

Just got my G34 slide in this past week. It was ordered a while back, but it took a while for LW to ship.

Looks really good. Just put in the internals (had to get the wax out first). Everything fits well. I dropped in a BarSto bbl that was a little tight in a stock G34, it went in w/o any further fitting of the bbl hood.

I'll check the slides, LW and the original G34, for differences besides the front cocking serrations and the former being stainless and report back.

KC

By all means, keep us posted. I've made a deal to trade my Glock for a Single Stack gun, so the point is moot for me, but I'm sure there are plenty of others who want to know. I'm sure I'll get another Glock sooner or later, it ain't like I can change my handle.

Just got my G34 slide in this past week. It was ordered a while back, but it took a while for LW to ship.

Looks really good. Just put in the internals (had to get the wax out first). Everything fits well. I dropped in a BarSto bbl that was a little tight in a stock G34, it went in w/o any further fitting of the bbl hood.

I'll check the slides, LW and the original G34, for differences besides the front cocking serrations and the former being stainless and report back.

KC

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't front cocking serrations fail the "same contour" restriction for production aftermarket slides?

Slav

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't front cocking serrations fail the "same contour" restriction for production aftermarket slides?

Slav

I went straight to the source on that one before I ordered the slide - John Amidon says specifically that they (both versions of the slide from LW and Caspian) are OK. "Contour" is being defined as the overall silhouette of the slide, and front serrations per the man himself fall within what is acceptable. The Caspian doesn't even have the top milled out like the OEM slides and it's OK (though ya gotta watch out for the 2 oz overweight restriction).

Purists are grumbling about how aftermarket parts aren't really "production", and I understand their POV, but this is what the rules allow.

ETA that I won't probably be able to post on the slide differences right away, but I'll get to it.

KC

Edited by kevin c

Slav

I went straight to the source on that one before I ordered the slide - John Amidon says specifically that they (both versions of the slide from LW and Caspian) are OK. "Contour" is being defined as the overall silhouette of the slide, and front serrations per the man himself fall within what is acceptable. The Caspian doesn't even have the top milled out like the OEM slides and it's OK (though ya gotta watch out for the 2 oz overweight restriction).

Purists are grumbling about how aftermarket parts aren't really "production", and I understand their POV, but this is what the rules allow.

ETA that I won't probably be able to post on the slide differences right away, but I'll get to it.

KC

That sure makes a ton of sense. So you can not get front serrations cut into your OEM slide. Or even put some skateboard tape there for that matter - no external modifications you know. But you can get yourself a brand spanking new aftermarket slide with front serrations - no problem. Got to love the consistency.

Someone correct me if I'm going the wrong way here, but adding up the slide, barrel (LW), and internals adds up to close

to $400 bucks. Are they pricing the entire "complete" slide cheaper? If not why not just buy a new gun for $500???

T

Someone correct me if I'm going the wrong way here, but adding up the slide, barrel (LW), and internals adds up to close

to $400 bucks. Are they pricing the entire "complete" slide cheaper? If not why not just buy a new gun for $500???

T

Because you want an option that only the LW set-up will deliver or because you live in a state where you need to apply for a permit to purchase for each firearm (frame in this case)......

There's two reasons.....

$ isn't the only consideration.....