Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rocket35

Rocket35

I thought I would wait until the New Year to start this “diary”. I have kept detailed records in the past on my own. But this seemed like a streamlined way to jot down my thoughts and experiences throughout the year. And a nice way to get tips and advice from you BE members out there! Feel free to chime in.

Now for the year in review: In 2007 I saw some of my personal best performances and some of my personal worst! To include two DQ’s. My career best performances last year included a division title at the MN Section in Limited-10 Division, the WI Point Series title in Limited Division and earned a slot to the 2008 Nationals. In 2007 I was also able to get out and Livefire more than I have been able to in the past. I put down approximately 12,000 rounds in practice. Not spectacular, but I saw some real gains in proficiency. I attended an average amount of matches- 23 matches (20 club level and 3 majors) plus the two DQ’d majors for a total of 25. At the start of the 2007 season I upgraded from a Glock 35 to an STI Edge. I also started video taping matches more consistently and reviewing them to find where I could improve. I will be linking to them in the forthcoming posts, but for the past year, you can follow the link below to view the 2007 matches. Here is a spreadsheet of last year's performances:

post-5009-1199190828.jpg

2007 Video Library

Plans for this year: I plan on attending more matches despite the increases in ammunition components costs. I am hopeful that I will be able to still get as much Livefire training as last year. But I will be focusing more on Dryfire and attending major matches. I plan on shooting mostly Single Stack this year. But don’t hold me to that! I tend to get bored shooting in only one division. I have already made arrangements to attend several matches. Here are the majors I currently plan to attend:

Winter Indoor IPSC Tournament- Rockford, Illinois

Single Stack Nationals- Barry, Illinois

Iowa Section- TBA

Indiana Section- Sellersburg, Indiana

Area 5 Championship- Dorr, Michigan

Summer Blast- York, Pennsylvania

Limited Nationals- TBA

Illinois Section- TBA

Minnesota Section- TBA

Wisconsin Section- Muskego, Wisconsin

Wisconsin Point Series Championship- held throughout the state

Wisconsin State IDPA Championships- TBA

Missouri Fall Classic- Rolla, MO

Goals:

Increase stage consistency through pre-stage visualization:

- eliminate the bobbles, mistakes and “burned down” stages.

Eliminate poorly prepared stage plans:

- I tend to see better ways after the initial run. Know the stage ENTIRELY before shooting. Round count, target count and any specifics such as scoring type and mandatory reloads.

Improve visual patience:

- eliminate the desire to “hose” so much.

Eliminate “Hero or Zero” stage plans:

- Hello DQ’s!

Improve target acquisition and index.

- get to targets quicker by improving target awareness.

Happy New Year and may yours be as good as mine!

:cheers:

Edited by Rocket35

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks all- I can surely send a copy out to you. I have many more spreadsheet I use for tracking purposes. Since they are in Excel, it won't let me post them here. The above spreadsheet is photocopied for quick view. PM me your emails and let me know if you would like the other tracking sheet I have developed. Well let me photocopy the others, so you can preview them....

OK- since we are on the subject, let me share with you the other forms of tracking that I do. But bear with me as my printer is running out of ink. You can get the idea though. I am very analytical when it comes to my shooting program. There really isn't an aspect involved that I don't track closely. Brian wrote a statement in his book that I think quantifies the reason why I put this much effort in non-shooting tasks such as these- "Don't concentrate on your shooting- get interested in it."

Match Notes:

I fill this out right after finishing club matches where carbon copies are not available. It really helps filling out the next analysis sheet. The fields are rather self explanitory, but let me know if you have any questions.

post-5009-1199209131.jpg

Stage Analysis:

This sheet breaks everything down per stage. It is also formatted, so all you have to do is enter numbers from the previous notes. You can easily add or subtract stages with the Excel program. It is quite user friendly. I really like this because I set it up to automatically compute the percentage of points you actually shot in each stage and then it computes your total points shot throughout the entire match. That way you can tell if your accuracy is up to par on both large and speed course stages, as well as the match as a whole, at a glance.

post-5009-1199209141.jpg

Maintenance Log/Notes:

This is a two page Excel document that is also preformatted. You can tally your current round count on various parts as well as the whole gun. I find this a vary useful tool in many ways. Particularly for preventative maintenance on springs. That way you don't have to "stagecrash" in a major match to know that you need new springs! It is also nice to keep track of "problems" you had with that particular gun and or modification that you have made. I make one of these up for every gun I own.

post-5009-1199209152.jpgpost-5009-1199209162.jpg

Training Analysis:

This document is quite nice for practice notes. I use it everyday I train.

post-5009-1199209173.jpg

Reloading Log:

There are many of these available, but being cheap that I am, I just made one up myself. It is also formatted to compute round count totals. I have one of these hanging on a nail at my reloading bench. And have a copy on the computor that is updated periodically. This really helps keep track of, not only your loads, but the maintenance of your press.

post-5009-1199209182.jpg

PS- thanks Jim! ;)

Thanks again- glad to help. After a few years you can really see advancements. Here are all the years of my USPSA shooting (IDPA convert). I saw a big year in 2005! :devil: I hit burn-out in 2006... <_<

post-5009-1199210826.jpg

post-5009-1199210838.jpgpost-5009-1199210848.jpg

post-5009-1199210859.jpg

Edited by Rocket35

Awesome logs. I never thought about keeping maintenance logs for the firearms -- what a fantastic idea!

On another note -- in 2007 you moved to an Edge from the G35. What impact -- honestly -- do you think this had on your shooting?

I spent 2007 switching back and forth between my G35 and 2011, and made myself somewhat miserable because, psychologically, I am more comfortable with the Glock, and wasn't really seeing a huge pay-value in putting the work into changing platforms. Just curious.

Thanks Boo- honestly I feel the STI has help me smooth things out. Trigger control and accuracy improved. I became much better at shooting "points" with the STI. I don't think I ever shot a match clean with the Glock. But shot several matches clean with the STI, and even more with 1-2 penalties. I also have more confidence in the magazines. I have had FAR-FAR less malfunctions, curiously enough, since I switched. Which made me more confident in the overall package. I like the added weight- but still like a bit lighter gun than the Edge. So somewhere in between. A G35 with accessories is about 30oz and an outfitted Edge is toppling the scale at about 40oz. My latest STI, built by Matt Cheely is 35-36oz. To me it feels just about perfect. Here is how she looks today:

11-12-07.jpg

Edited by Rocket35

This is great, this came at the right time for me. I am sitting here at the kitchen table with both of Steve Andersons book, Saul Kirsch's Thinking Practical Shooting, Matt Burkett's Practical Shooting Manual, notebook paper, excel spreadsheet on the computer, a monthly planner. And I am still lost on where to start with a down to the bones good training program for this year. Then I come here to relax, then bang your here with what I need. Thanks, this is great. Ron :cheers:

I decided to make more suitable dryfire targets today before I got hot and heavy into training this week and came up with a winner I think. I sized them as big as I could and still cut 3 from a metric IPSC target. The ones I used before were fine for static drill where space was an issue. But these were desined so I can staple them to a short target stand stick (left over from cutting down 8 footers for regular targets) and prop them up against the wall around the house to dryfire mock stages. I am also trying out cutting the metric IPSC target down in size for this purpose also. For that I just cut off the "D" zone and reduced the size of the upper "A/B" panel (no pictures added). Here are a couple of photos of the poppers I came up with.

post-5009-1199302636.jpgpost-5009-1199302657.jpgpost-5009-1199302608.jpg

Now off to dryfiring! Here is the one (of several I made up) dryfire routines I will be doing today:

Warm-up

10- Hands at sides- 1 sec par time

10- Surrender- 1 sec par time

20- Speed reloads- 1 sec par time

10- Draws to 4 target transition- 2 sec par

10- Vice Presidente- 4 sec par time

Match Drills

5- Wide transition- left to right

5- Wide transition- right to left

5- Wide transition w/reload- left to right

5- Wide transition w/reload- right to left

5- Wall starts w/movement- left to right

5- Wall starts w/movement- right to left

5- Barricade starts- right side

5- Barricade starts- left side

5- Move and open door- left to right

5- Move and open door- right to left

10- Hands at sides no-shoot draw- 1 sec

10- Surrender no-shoot draw- 1 sec par

5- Box entries- moving to the right- 1 sec

5- Box entries- moving to the left- 1 sec

5- Box entries- moving forward- 1 sec par

5- Near to far transitions- hands at sides

5- Far to near transitions- hands at sides

5- Near to far transitions- surrender

5- Far to near transitions- surrender

Edited by Rocket35

Well I got alot done today! I called STI and found out that my Single Stack is getting worked on today. Made up 6 new dryfire poppers and got some dryfire in today.

As far as dryfire goes- I found that since I last trained, I have gotton rusty with my draws and reloads (inconsitant). :blink: I will be focusing on those individual skills until I get them up to par again. Then I will continue on with more movement and mock stage skills later.

I also found that my original par times on the "warm up" section were a little long. So I added a target and lowered the par time on "Draws to target transitions" and lowered the par time on the Vice Pres. as well.

But man, was I sweatin' when I was done with the whole routine! I may be in store for a little physical fitness training! :rolleyes: Otherwise training went well today. Calling dryfire shots like I should and "shooting" with the proper visual patience- ie. taking the time necessary on each shot's difficulty level.

"Yeah here we go again for the hundreth time- hand grenade pins in every line...."

Well I made up a new routine to focus on the skills that got rusty. It took 1 hour and 45 minutes to complete! You really get pumped doing this one too. It is important to add that staying relaxed as much as possible really improves consistancy and natural speed. It is hard at times, but when I focus on relaxing my shoulders it helps. The only drills I had trouble making the 1 second par times were on the transfer to weak hand and opening door draws. But they were right there! Maybe 1.10 second pars.

I feel the key to consistantly making the pars with a good called shot is getting to the "#2" position, or where both hands are on the gun, as fast as possible. Then smoothly ease the gun into the final shooting position. Not dilly dallying, just don't "jut" the gun uncontrollably to the target. There is a drill that Matt Burkett taught me years ago, that teaches this. This is paramount to getting the first shot hit on a popper or head shot at speed.

Thanks Matt :cheers:

Another thing I found useful today comes on the "heels on fault line start". I always have struggled with this one and seen other people as well. What I feel helps this out, I kinda got from watching Jake Divita shoot from this starting position. I works for me really well. It goes like this: Load up your weight on your weak side leg and as soon as you hear the first note of the timer- take a quick step back with your strong side leg and then a quick step forward with your weak side leg into the shooting area as you simultaneously draw the gun. Kinda like a "1-2" as quick as you can. Doing this gets me to a 1 sec par time shot in target. Much faster than trying to keep both feet in the shooting area the WHOLE time. Note: It is important that when you fire the shot that you DO NOT have your strong side foot touching outside the fault line or shooting area.

Thanks Jake! :cheers:

For me- Loading up my weight works wonders whenever I am set to move immediately on the draw. Like the box entry, moving backwards and standing from a table etc. I will shift almost, if not all, my weight to one leg. Or in the case of starting seated, both legs. You can almost pull the chair out from under me, and I will still be in the start position! That way, at the first note of the timer, I am blasting off into my shooting positioin. Kinda like a rocket. ;)

Anyway these are some of the things I get out of dryfire and that help me to get to my natural speed most efficiently. Now as for the routine I did today. Here it is:

Draws- 330 total

Freestyle:

10- Smoothest possible

10- Under 1 sec par time

10- Box entry, to the right

10- Box entry, to the left

10- Box entry, forward

10- Heels on fault line

10- Back to the targets

10- While moving backwards

10- Head shot

10- Popper