Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Rocket35

Rocket35

For tracking your performance analysis look here, if you didn't yet:

http://re-gun.blogspot.com/2007/11/what-do...o-practice.html

You will find skill assessment form there. Very helpful.

Yup, been there via Matt Burkett's forum I think. But I have another system that has been working well for me. It is based on my actual performances instead of how I "perceive" my performance to be. I think it is more accurate. Thanks for the heads up though. :)

Edited by Rocket35

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shot some PPC today with the Spartan. First time I have shot this gun. I sent it out to STI for repair right after I received it, so I didn't even have a chance to sight it in.

After a quick down and dirty sight in, I shot the match. The gun worked great and I didn't do so bad for shooting it for the first time. My Limited gun's trigger is 2.25 pounds and the Spartan's trigger is at 4.25-4.50 pounds. So I have some getting used to there.

But not a bad showing- I scored a 448, which is in the Master class range. I should have shot my Limited gun to see how much I could have improved. So I am happy with the Spartan.

After some ammunition and recoil spring testing I should have it up and running for USPSA. After the WIIT- in three weeks- I will start training hot and heavy with the Single Stack. I plan on shooting SS through out this year up until the Limited Nats in Sept.

Shot some PPC today with the Spartan. First time I have shot this gun. I sent it out to STI for repair right after I received it, so I didn't even have a chance to sight it in.

After a quick down and dirty sight in, I shot the match. The gun worked great and I didn't do so bad for shooting it for the first time. My Limited gun's trigger is 2.25 pounds and the Spartan's trigger is at 4.25-4.50 pounds. So I have some getting used to there.

But not a bad showing- I scored a 448, which is in the Master class range. I should have shot my Limited gun to see how much I could have improved. So I am happy with the Spartan.

After some ammunition and recoil spring testing I should have it up and running for USPSA. After the WIIT- in three weeks- I will start training hot and heavy with the Single Stack. I plan on shooting SS through out this year up until the Limited Nats in Sept.

First go for me at PPC too. Shot a 458... That was with my 12moa dot and open major. I need to work on the around the post shots... The way I did it was not the way it should be done.

Yeah- I need to use more of the time available! I was done waaay before the time allotted. I wish I would have shot my Limited gun now. Can't let you beat me- even with an OPEN gun! :P Nice job though. Do you know the final scores?

Yeah- I need to use more of the time available! I was done waaay before the time allotted. I wish I would have shot my Limited gun now. Can't let you beat me- even with an OPEN gun! :P Nice job though. Do you know the final scores?

I didn't even look... Shaun was high... he ripped tha last run, a 60 and it looked like he shot them all from about 20ft, It was really something to see.

I told ya I was going to spank that ass. :P Kidding aside it was a sloppy run... I need to learn how to use that pole better. I shot way worse on that then I did free.

I have come with an idea that I thought was pretty cool. I was thinking of using my Samsung to voice record some shooting tips, common mistakes and my goals. Then upload them to the computor and burn a CD for listening to on the drive to matches.

I have several long trips planned and this will be handy to keep me focused. Plus I can listen to them in the hotel, since I am not a big fan of watching TV. That little Samsung is quite versatile.

It has several options- Video recorder, photo camera, MP3 player and voice recorder. You can mount the main unit on a tri-pod or use it as a hat cam with the external lense. I have been using it for about a year now and love it! :)

It is a very good idea, but I suggest to you be carefull about mistakes. Thinking and speaking about them is the same in my point of view, you can harm yourself doing that and you can reinforce them. Mistakes should be fixed immeadetly as you can. The GOALS CD-this is the path you should go! Look at the post #49! :)

Edited by Ramas

Yeah- I got ya there. But in Steve Anderson's last book he covered Common Mistakes and gave solutions, which help to remind one of avoiding those pitfalls. Just a thought I guess. Helps you keep in mind things to pay attention to and overcome.

Yeah- I got ya there. But in Steve Anderson's last book he covered Common Mistakes and gave solutions, which help to remind one of avoiding those pitfalls. Just a thought I guess. Helps you keep in mind things to pay attention to and overcome.

Books on tape. :)

If you're going to discuss common mistakes, state them in the positive.

For example, instead of saying "make sure I don't hit the no shoot". Say "make sure to get good hits on all the shoot targets."

Your mind won't read the "don't" and the next thing you know, you're plugging away at no shoots. You can probably come up with a creative way to state in the positive everything you're trying to avoid doing.

As I was updating some information, I came across some more spreadsheets that I forgot to share last time. One is a Chronograph Report that is formulated to compute all your data and a Reloading Cost spreadsheet, that is again formulated to calculate the costs. They can be found and downloaded along with the other spreadsheets at this location:

Click Here To Download Spreadsheets

I was recently asked by another shooter to describe my grip. So I decided to take some pictures and give my low down. Thought it might be good to toss up here on my range diary as well. ;)

DSC02687.jpg

I start by using the "pinch and roll" technique Matt Burkett teaches. Place the index finger of your weak hand under the trigger guard and as you roll your hand into the grip position there is a slight pinch to the finger where it meets the trigger guard. This is also showing the area and fingers the the weak hand will be gripping. My weak hand palm grips the three fingers of my strong hand as my weak hand thumb pad is gripping the exposed part of the grip of the gun itself.

DSC02689.jpg

Here is a picture showing as I roll my weak hand into the grip position. Note the location of my strong hand fingers underneath.

DSC02690.jpg

Here is a view from above that helps show how your weak hand thumb points to the target and is aligned with the trigger finger. You can also see how my strong side thumb wraps on top of my weak hand and thumb safety.

DSC02691.jpg

Here is a view of the weak hand in position. You may be able to see the slight pinch of the finger and trigger guard. I am squeezing with about 70% with the weak hand and about 30% with the strong hand. My weak hand is essentially gripping the strong hand fingers into the grip. This really locks everything up tight.

DSC02706.jpg

And this final view shows the opposite side and how the weak hand is gripping the strong side hand all the way to the knuckles. So basically I am gripping the gun and strong side hand as if it were one unit.

• 3 weeks later...
I have come with an idea that I thought was pretty cool. I was thinking of using my Samsung to voice record some shooting tips, common mistakes and my goals. Then upload them to the computor and burn a CD for listening to on the drive to matches.

I have several long trips planned and this will be handy to keep me focused. Plus I can listen to them in the hotel, since I am not a big fan of watching TV. That little Samsung is quite versatile.

It has several options- Video recorder, photo camera, MP3 player and voice recorder. You can mount the main unit on a tri-pod or use it as a hat cam with the external lense. I have been using it for about a year now and love it! :)

Newly taken picture:

SamsungX210LSportsCam.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I went to a local gun show yesturday to pick up my grips from a buddy running a booth there. I didn't figure there was a whole lot of reason to walk around, but thought I might as well since I paid my $5 entry. My general experience of guns shows is overpriced junk and alot of gunshop commandos trying to sell it. But- I found this diamond in all the rough! I paid $400 for this "Wilson Combat" Marvel Unit 2 Practical conversion. It came with 7 mags and the loading device. I figured it was a pretty good deal- but almost passed on it! But have been hearing of the long waiting and considered the savings of $240 as the deciding factors as to not pass on this deal. The cool thing I never noticed before is that the metal basepads can be swapped out for the extended Wilson magazine basepads. Three extended ones came with the deal. And that the guiderod screws in- to lock the barrel up once it is installed. The barrel is indeed fixed and does not move once installed properly. Slide to frame was about as tight as one would expect from a conversion meant to fit on all the various 1911 pattern guns out there. I will be ordering the .100" narrow sight for it and be ready to run!

Here it is on my Spartan...

DSC02801.jpg

DSC02799.jpg

DSC02793.jpg

• 5 months later...

Well it took me quite awhile to get back into shooting and training. But I am getting back into the saddle with some airsoft practice on a mock steel challange setup to brush up on transitions. I am a bit rusty so cut me some slack guys and gals! Let me know what ya think though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DRhMA3U2cI

Edited by Rocket35

Well it took me quite awhile to get back into shooting and training. But I am getting back into the saddle with some airsoft practice on a mock steel challange setup to brush up on transitions. I am a bit rusty so cut me some slack guys and gals! Let me know what ya think though....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DRhMA3U2cI

Actually, I like this angle a lot... there is a great deal to learn by watching you move with your knees. I went back over my tapes in preperation for selling them and one thing that stuck was Robbie saying to move with your knees and not with your waist. This is a very good example of what he meant.

Today's practice: Vice/El Pres drills with the airsoft gun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvCKYmJ5bms

One thing that strikes me about this is how much you have to move your body to get to your mag... there is a lot of wasted motion therre. Have you thought about getting the mags out a bit, or is there anything you can do to limit all that body movement?

Today's practice: Vice/El Pres drills with the airsoft gun...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvCKYmJ5bms

One thing that strikes me about this is how much you have to move your body to get to your mag... there is a lot of wasted motion therre. Have you thought about getting the mags out a bit, or is there anything you can do to limit all that body movement?

Yeah I noticed that too- I will have to look into that. The airsoft I am using is a double stack without magwell and I am currently shooting single stack. I will have to get a skinny airsoft gun and put some spacers in the mag pouches. Videoing really does help not only learn what needs to improve, but what is going right. ;) So far I am having alot of fun though!

Hey Chris- I feel for ya, but you are way ahead of me on practice! I need to catch up!! Let me know how things go with fixing your other two air-guns....