Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How would you explain the USPSA scoring to a newbie?

I've been trying to explain the way scoring is tallied for USPSA shooting to a new shooter and he just doesn't get it. I'm curious how you explain this to someone getting into the sport. How do you explain hit factor and points vs. time and why to shoot some stages focusing mostly on speed over points and vice versa.

Thanks in advance,

Pete

I tell people the whole match is like the Tour De France, but with less drugs-- there's a bunch of stages and whoever does the best overall on all the stages wins; Some stages are like the sprints, some like riding up a mountain. Crashing is always bad.

For individual stages I explain it's the best points-per-second that wins each stage, with everbody else ranked from the winner.

I tell people the whole match is like the Tour De France, but with less drugs-- there's a bunch of stages and whoever does the best overall on all the stages wins; Some stages are like the sprints, some like riding up a mountain. Crashing is always bad.

For individual stages I explain it's the best points-per-second that wins each stage, with everbody else ranked from the winner.

That is a great analogy. :cheers:

Points per second. Basically, you give up points based on how fast you can consistently make a particular shot.

2 feet full target is a grip it and rip it 'cause +90% you're gonna get 2-A's.

50 yard partial w/ no-shoots or hardcover is a more deliberate shot 'cause at a grip it and rip it speed you're gonna get A's probably less than 10% of the time.

Hope that helped. I'm kinda tired. :D

Rich

For newbies or those outside of the sport I tell them that each hit on a target is worth points, whoever can get the most points in the least amount of time gets the highest score. The person with the highest scores across the stages wins, everyone else loses in order.

I just explain that it is a balance of speed and accuracy. The person with the fastest time may not win due to poor hits and the person with the best hits may not win because of poor time. The winners are the one's who can balance the two. I have never tried to explain the specific scoring method without a target or pen and paper in hand. The hit factor formula is easy enough to get across to someone if they can see it on paper while looking at a target or a sketch of a target.

I just point out the "A" zones. And tell them when speed comes they're harder to hit. I just think new competitors should start with shooting A's. Hit factors and all the point drop stuff is easier when they're calling their shots.

Jim M

Hey nobody mentioned power factor.

And you can miss fast enough to win. I see it all the time. I can figure a hit factor but not quite got a handle on the rest. Generally I tell people they will do there best hitting 90% of points. If you are hitting more go faster, less slow down.

I just point out the "A" zones. And tell them when speed comes they're harder to hit. I just think new competitors should start with shooting A's.

That's what I tell myself, but I don't always listen to myself either! A big frustration for me is to hit all A's, but have a suck time. I'm impatient and want to go faster, but that usually leads to slop. The best advice folks have given me is to shoot A's as fast as I can. Gotta focus on getting a good sight picture and call the shot, learn to walk before you run, etc.