Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sig P229 or CZ SP-01 for Production?

Cy Soto

OK folks, I know that any replies that I receive here are going to be dependent on personal preferences but I find myself in a predicament and I need some guidance… This is my issue: I currently own an older model Sig P229 that has not seen too much action in the past few years. Don’t get me wrong, I like the feel of this gun but the DA/SA OEM trigger is not one of the best-designed out there. The DA pull is not only very long but also very heavy; and the SA pull is fine with the exception of a long reset. I am trying to decide whether I should spend the money and have this trigger “tricked out” to lower weight of the DA pull and smooth out the action; and also to have a Short Trigger Reset (STR) system from Sig to reduce the SA reset. Or, go with option number two which is purchasing a “tricked out” CZ SP-01 from Matt M. or Angus H. and shoot away. Whichever gun I choose it would be used exclusively for Production Division and nothing else.

Purchasing the CZ would set me back about $850 (plus shipping) and I would need to sell the Sig in order to make back some of the money that the CZ would cost. If I were to keep the Sig it seems that it is going to cost me about $350 (or more) to do the trigger work (if I were to send the gun to Gray Guns). So, in essence, whatever route I take it would end up costing me about the same.

I really would like to hear some input; what should I do?

-Cy

Cy - IMO, you would do well either way.

Having said that, have you shot a CZ? They're going to feel different in your hand. I've got two of them, and really like them, but that doesn't mean they're going to fit you.

I'd try to find one - most shooters would be glad to let you at least put a few rounds through theirs at a match - before putting down that kind of money.

I have both a P229 and an SP-01C (from Angus) The Sig want back to the factory for an AEP (Action Enhancement Package)(Sig may call that something different now). Trigger pull/wt/recovery/etc is great. This can be used in SSP for IDPA and USPSA but it's Modified in IPSC. SP-01C is ESP in IDPA. Why? Because safety dictates that you may not lower the hammer into half cocked with your thumb. Must shoot it condition 1. IPSC calls it Standard, USPSA Limited or Limited 10. My P229 is 40S&W, SP-01C is 9mm. I'm using the current rule books for all 3 clubs.

SouthCentral

If your serious about the sport and HAVE to stick with a DA/SA gun. I would go with the CZ or a Tanfoglio. Both can get some awesome triggers.

If you want to go striker fired, and spend a lot less money the S&W M&P 5" should be out before long. I have shot the EAA STOCK, which i liked better than the CZ, Beretta's 1911's etc. and Love my M&P. when the 5" comes out it will be that much sweeter. I got my Kit with 3 mags, holster (and for $10 got a dropped offset attachment for it) and a double mag pouch ( for extra mags and IDPA) for $511 delivered overnight COD.

OK folks, I know that any replies that I receive here are going to be dependent on personal preferences but I find myself in a predicament and I need some guidance… This is my issue: I currently own an older model Sig P229 that has not seen too much action in the past few years. Don’t get me wrong, I like the feel of this gun but the DA/SA OEM trigger is not one of the best-designed out there. The DA pull is not only very long but also very heavy; and the SA pull is fine with the exception of a long reset. I am trying to decide whether I should spend the money and have this trigger “tricked out” to lower weight of the DA pull and smooth out the action; and also to have a Short Trigger Reset (STR) system from Sig to reduce the SA reset. Or, go with option number two which is purchasing a “tricked out” CZ SP-01 from Matt M. or Angus H. and shoot away. Whichever gun I choose it would be used exclusively for Production Division and nothing else.

Purchasing the CZ would set me back about $850 (plus shipping) and I would need to sell the Sig in order to make back some of the money that the CZ would cost. If I were to keep the Sig it seems that it is going to cost me about $350 (or more) to do the trigger work (if I were to send the gun to Gray Guns). So, in essence, whatever route I take it would end up costing me about the same.

I really would like to hear some input; what should I do?

-Cy

Sean Lynch out of CO Springs shot his 229 9mm in production for a while. He still does when his wife shoots, and she shoots her Glock 34. He will be getting a 2nd G34 soon so he won't have to shoot the 229 anymore. It's a PITA to shoot a 229 in production division starting out. Even with a new trigger system, you are essentially giving up an inch to 1 1/2 of barrel speed on your rounds and a couple of inches of sight radius.

If you are going to go with the CZ, talk to EERW (Stewart Wong) on this forum. He lives in CO Springs, and has CZ up for sale all the time. He might know where you can catch a deal on one.

Just my opinion, but you should really look at a DAO gun too before making a choice; Glock, XD, M&P... They all fit and fire different. I've shot all of these and they all can carry their own.

here is my 2cents on this..if these are the two you have narrowed your choice too, i would go with the SP01, because it sits lower in your hand reducing perceived muzzle flip, has a longer radius, and if you will end up with aprox the same $$ invested after selling your Sig..I feel you would have a true custom setup if purchasing one from Angus or Matt...I am currently shooting a SP01 in Production class, and it is a great pistol..If your 229 is 40 cal your cost associated with ammo would also be more...and finally if you ended up selling it , i think you would be able to sell the SP01 faster than the Sig...you should try before buy, if possible..

I SP-01C is ESP in IDPA. Why? Because safety dictates that you may not lower the hammer into half cocked with your thumb. Must shoot it condition 1.

SouthCentral

Say what????? :blink: There is nothing in the rule book that says that. If you can get it to SSP weight then it is legal there. I shot a cz-75b with no decocker there for a long time. With that said I'd go for the CZ over the sig just because I think you end up with a nicer gun for uspsa.

If you're new to the sport, run what you already have. Worry about triggers and guns later. Get on the road to good fundamentals now and address the machine itself some other time. If you're new, just get in the game.

Sigs are great guns and one can do well with them. Good advice is shoot what you got and get good with it. I've used both and my preferance goes with the CZ. Another avenue to look into is reloading. My biggest improvements came when I started tuning the ammo to me and my gun.

My personal preference is go with the CZ..

but I would only do this if you are going to shoot production for a committed amount of time..

if you are just going to do it over the winter a few months..or use it to just train differently..I would stick with the Sig and have the trigger worked a bit.

The SP01 is a heavier gun..and offers some advantages..especially coming from Matt or Angus..

great trigger, good sights, beavertail, undercut triggerguard, beveled magwell, ext. mag release, ambi safeties, points well, sits low in the hand.

I use my SP01 in both USPSA and IDPA SSP..and it works quite well for me.

I have been tempted to try a Sig 226..but just haven't had the time or money to work my way there..

Hello Folks,

And Thank You All so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I should have mentioned before that I have been shooting IDPA for a few years now and I currently have a Glock 35 dedicated for this. It is a really sweet gun and it serves me well. In all honesty I am looking for an excuse to get myself a new gun (whether it is purchasing a new CZ or improving the Sig). I have never tried my luck at USPSA (mainly because most USPSA shooters I know are so much better than I am) but I want to start this year. I am commited to the sport (even if my scores don't reflect it) and I would like to shoot Production simply because it is the division that most closely resembles IDPA rules.

Again, Thank you all for your replies!

-Cy

PS: BTW, I want to say a special "Hello" to eerw. Hello S.; we have shot IDPA together in Pueblo. :cheers:

PPS: Oh and also... Yes Steve, I am aware that S&W is coming out with the 5" model soon; hopefuly they will unveil it in February's SHOT Show but, this is only speculation on my part. I may try to convince the wife that I need to get myself one of those too but I will worry about that in a couple of months... (ha, ha)

Hello Folks,

And Thank You All so much for taking the time to reply to my post. I should have mentioned before that I have been shooting IDPA for a few years now and I currently have a Glock 35 dedicated for this. It is a really sweet gun and it serves me well. In all honesty I am looking for an excuse to get myself a new gun (whether it is purchasing a new CZ or improving the Sig). I have never tried my luck at USPSA (mainly because most USPSA shooters I know are so much better than I am) but I want to start this year. I am commited to the sport (even if my scores don't reflect it) and I would like to shoot Production simply because it is the division that most closely resembles IDPA rules.

Again, Thank you all for your replies!

-Cy

PS: BTW, I want to say a special "Hello" to eerw. Hello S.; we have shot IDPA together in Pueblo. :cheers:

PPS: Oh and also... Yes Steve, I am aware that S&W is coming out with the 5" model soon; hopefuly they will unveil it in February's SHOT Show but, this is only speculation on my part. I may try to convince the wife that I need to get myself one of those too but I will worry about that in a couple of months... (ha, ha)

Keep the Sig. The fact that you are considering having work done on it means that you like the gun well enough and may regret parting with it. You can always sell it later... if you need the cash for something else.

Go shoot USPSA with your Glock. You can shoot it in Production, or with minor add-ons like mag exts to increase your capacity to 20 rounds, hold your own in Limited.

If the true driver is a 'new' gun, keep your eyes open for a CZ 75/85. You will often find them more competitvely priced (in the range of $400 - 500 in several forum classifieds). You will also be able to shoot a CZ75/85 in IDPA without doing any work on it (i.e., weight reduction for SP01 to get it down to 39 ozs).

Signed a Lowly C class USPSA shooter.

Hey..been awhile since I have been able to shoot IDPA match..

hope all is going well..we will see you out there more..and hope to see ya at a USPSA match.. :D:D

and if you want to try out my SP01 for a match..just let me know..I can set you up with my rig..

Edited by eerw

I think the easiest solution would be to use your Glock 35. Buy a couple of extra magazine pouches and you'll be more than good to go.

If you're really set upon spending some money to purchase a new pistol, why not buy a Sig P226? I have to agree with some of the previous posters that you'll be giving up some performance with P229, short barrel and short sight radius. You can get barely used P226s from CDNN then send it off to Bruce Gray for a superb competition job. I've been running a Bruce Gray tuned P226 for the last two seasons with good success.

mattk