Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

stupid accidents around the house

zhunter

needed to adjust the garage door spring, and well, i loosened it too much and it got to spinning. took out my right thumb. not a good thing. shoulda gone to get stitches, but didn't.

tore the crap outta the indside of my right thumb, so, no shooting, no fly fishing. essentially can't grip anything.

this really sux

lucky to have not cut it right off.

cut was to the bone.

typing with one hand only.

i am hoping to be able to shoot by Jan. at the WSSS

home repairs suck

Jay ..you are not the first to be maimed by a garage door spring..a friend who lives close to us just about lost his thumb to one.

That spring is wound with bar tool..and if you loosen the wrong bolt it will spin with enough force to rip your fingers off.

You best get that thing glued back together!!!

I wanna whup up on ya fair and square.

Jim

I suppose I will be fine by then, but had planned to practice a bunch before the WSSS

That is NOT gonna happen now.

That said, I did rip some fast times on Steel today.

3 of my four times on Smoke and hope were under 2.75

Not bad for a "B" shooter :)

But, I can't grip anything now for fear of start the blood flowing again.

Now GentlemanJim can take that doll's hand (the one with the uncanny resemblance to you) out of his big shop vise....

they don't do voodoo in NM :devil:

Says who?

Right now I have my new single stack on a raised platform on my reloading bench surrounded by preserved bat wings and essence of Sedro Woolley. :devil:

Hope the finger heals quickly....we want to see a fair fight to the last target....fair being a relative term!

As I told Merlin

I am going to the Dr. tomorrow, I need to get "the shot". I will enquire about the glue.

But, foremost is....

The Dr.'s assistant is HOT!!!!!

I am 0 for 2 so far asking her out, and most likely will be 0 for 3 this time tomorrow, but hey, ya gotta ask!!!! :D

Last attempt I was on my post-surgical deathbed and still asked her out :D

Maybe a shower in the morning will help as opposed to the hospital when I had been 3 days without one :blink:

As I told Merlin

I am going to the Dr. tomorrow, I need to get "the shot". I will enquire about the glue.

But, foremost is....

The Dr.'s assistant is HOT!!!!!

I am 0 for 2 so far asking her out, and most likely will be 0 for 3 this time tomorrow, but hey, ya gotta ask!!!! :D

Last attempt I was on my post-surgical deathbed and still asked her out :D

Maybe a shower in the morning will help as opposed to the hospital when I had been 3 days without one :blink:

This thread is worthless without PICS!!! ;)

Only you could drag out a an excuse that makes waiting seem like a good idea. :D

Just don't wait too long, OK?

Right after school drop off in the morning. About 8:15

You should be named after a very old kind of candy!!!

Jim

What candy is that?

OK, This is one subject where I am an acknowledged authority: Garage Doors.

I have been in this business for over 35 years. People do not realize just what they are dealing with when they mess with a garage door spring. First, there are two types; torsion, the kind with the pipe inside that you windup with properly fit bars or a special manual or electric spring winder and the other kind known as an Extension or Stretch Spring. Both types can cause severe injury or DEATH. Under no circumstances should anyone not properly trained mess with either type.

The average single car garage door probably weighs about 130-160 pounds and possibly considerably more if it is a fancy carriage house style. The spring(s) must counterbalance that amount of weight for the door to work properly. The spring must match the weight of the door for the door to work. Putting a 150 pound spring on a 130 pound door does not work. There is no such thing as an universal garage door spring. (I could save thousands of dollars in inventory if there were) There is NO SUCH THING as a HEAVY-DUTY garage door spring. There are however springs that will yield a longer service life.

Torsion springs are wound with the door in the closed position, the bars or winder must hold the entire charge until the spring is fully wound and the set screws tightened. Extension springs require the door to be in the open position and properly secured so that it cannot move until the spring is attached and secured. Of the two types, the torsion spring is the better. It is smoother operating and longer lasting. It is also safer in use as when it breaks, as nearly 100% of all springs will) the 1" pipe inside keeps the spring from flying around your garage. The extension springs are cheaper, but require a retaining cable of the proper size be installed in them to keep the broken spring from flying around the garage. Keep in mind that springs generally break when the door is closed or nearly closed as that is when the most tension is in the wire.

If you have a garage door that is not working properly DO NOT attempt to repair it yourself. Call a professional. Your best bet is generally the local Overhead Door Company of (your town) they have a national distributor orgainization and are usually the more professional orgainization. You do not want a fly-by-night company. A replacement Torsion Spring, INSTALLED should run in the neighborhood of $150-$200. If you have more than one spring on your door, CHANGE THEM BOTH.

This is not an advertisment, nor is it a rebuttal. It is a PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT. The trigger finger you save may be your own!

I have been using loctite brand super glue for bad cuts that should get stitches.

You can close the wound and cover the area with a few layers of glue to keep it all in place.

The real band aid glue is the same stuff at twice the price...for half as much.

good luck Z....Marrubium vulgare :P

Jim