Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bear Creek Bullets

Joe D

Joe, I would agree with your thought that the TG isnt helping the situation. It is a limited use powder for me now due to the high heat that it generates, and I am switching to Solo 1000 for lead bullets, and possibly jacketed. From what I have been told by many it runs fine through the Dillons, since that is what they use.

DougC

I am thinking Titegroup might be the problem. I use a 160 gr bullet in 9mm. BTW how does Solo 1000 meter through a Dillon?

Joe - I just loaded 1000 rounds of .45 ACP 230 grain RNLs with Solo 1000. No problems with the measure, but if you try to turn the shellplate too quickly you risk spilling powder when the shellplate snaps into the detent. The case is almost half full with 4.7 grains. You'd be running about 3 grains in a 9x19 case, so you'd have to be careful as well.

Is Solo a ball, flattened ball or flake powder. How does it compare in size to say Titegroup or Clays?

Solo 1000 is a single base, flake powder. I run it under 147's in 9mm for my production loads with moly, cast or jacketed and haven't had any problems with leading in the "normal" rifling in my CZ. I can't say the same about Titegroup. :sick:

What load are you using with the 147s? OAL?

3.3 to 3.4 grains. 3.3 will make minor loaded short but I like the feel of 3.4 @ 1.135 and it went 127 to 128 PF without fail (so far) and I haven't seen any leading. I always suggest starting at 3.2 and working up as there is NO published data for Solo 1000 in 9mm.

...there is NO published data for Solo 1000 in 9mm.

Well, there is no data for 147 grain bullets with Solo 1000. There is data for up to 125 grain ones, though.

Huh... News to me. Must be totally new. I've never been able to find any Solo 1000 data for any 9mm loads and even an e-mail to the ballistician (Johan L.) at Accurate confirmed there wasn't any published data for 9mm loads because they consider it way to fast for 9's. Did you find the data on Accurate's web site? I'm having serious computer trouble here today and can't get .pdf's to open. :angry2:

• 2 weeks later...
I am thinking Titegroup might be the problem. I use a 160 gr bullet in 9mm. BTW how does Solo 1000 meter through a Dillon?

Bearcreek is our local bullet maker out this way. I have used a lot of his bullets. In 9mm For 147 grain I load 3.8 grains of Unique. I know its an old school powder but it works great with these bullets. There used to be a label inside the bullets boxes advising agaisnt using hot fast powders. Titegroup burns as hot as any powder I have used. When I was cowboy shooting it was popular because even with a light load it still makes a loud bark :rolleyes: Unique is also nice in that it fills the case up nicely and will over flow with a double charge.

Happy New Year,

Keith

PS if you don't want the bullets I will pay a fair price for them.

I had a long conversation with the BC folks. I think we have come to the conclusion that the bullets are a little undersize. He is going to send me some larger diameter ones to test. They should be a minimum of .3565". These are just barely .356".

I may just try some Unique. I have 3 one lb. unopened cans that are only 20+ years old.

...there is NO published data for Solo 1000 in 9mm.

Well, there is no data for 147 grain bullets with Solo 1000. There is data for up to 125 grain ones, though.

Huh... News to me. Must be totally new. I've never been able to find any Solo 1000 data for any 9mm loads and even an e-mail to the ballistician (Johan L.) at Accurate confirmed there wasn't any published data for 9mm loads because they consider it way to fast for 9's. Did you find the data on Accurate's web site? I'm having serious computer trouble here today and can't get .pdf's to open. :angry2:

FWIW (and despite, the .PDF file troubles), there is older Scot Powder load data for S-1000 and 9MM lighter bullets in the linked .pdf below provided in another thread:

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?...st&id=12717

I wouldn't hazard a guess whether or not Accurate has made any changes since their acquisition of Solo. I've shot it at 4.0 Gr. under a MG/CMJ...great feel and super clean but in my gun, I have more accurate loads. I do intend to tweak the charge and OAL a bit...I'd love to get this stuff to shoot in a 9MM. If possible, this could be the 9MM equivalent of everybody's favorite Clays | .45 ACP load.

I had a long conversation with the BC folks. I think we have come to the conclusion that the bullets are a little undersize. He is going to send me some larger diameter ones to test. They should be a minimum of .3565". These are just barely .356".

I may just try some Unique. I have 3 one lb. unopened cans that are only 20+ years old.

I've had some trouble with the BC 147's being a bit small for my Glock OEM bbls (tumbling), but they're deadly accurate out of the BarSto bbl I switched to. I have noticed that the coating is slick but soft, and that, at least at the OAL I load for my G17, it can scrape off and build up on top of the chamber where I think the bullet is hitting as it feeds. I occasionally get failures to feed in the BarSto bbl because of this. No problems chambering in the Glock bbl, but then there's the tumbling.

As you found out, and as I have been told, BC can size bullets to a different diameter for you. I'm going to try some sized up before my next big order, and fiddle the OAL.

KC

ETA: no leading in either bbl, though, shooting a couple hundred at a time.

Edited by kevin c

You have to load the heavy bullets really long to stop the tumble. I am loading the 160 gr bullets out to 1.160" in our Glocks.

I am going to do more testing with Alox this weekend. I got little if any leading in my LWD barrel. I will see how they do in a Glock barrel. I have shot hard cast bullets through my Glock barrels for years with good results. My practice load is 3.5 gr of TG with a 125 gr lead bullet. Goes 1050 fps with zero leading.

You have to load the heavy bullets really long to stop the tumble. I am loading the 160 gr bullets out to 1.160" in our Glocks.

I am going to do more testing with Alox this weekend. I got little if any leading in my LWD barrel. I will see how they do in a Glock barrel. I have shot hard cast bullets through my Glock barrels for years with good results. My practice load is 3.5 gr of TG with a 125 gr lead bullet. Goes 1050 fps with zero leading.

Does 1160 play well in the 10 rd mags? Thought that was a bit on the long side for the mag.

The 1.160" length works fine in a Glock mag. Seems to me Winchester WB is at least that long. I have some regular lead bullets on the way from Knead - 160 RN and 150 SWC.

I can't remember for sure, but that WWB OAL sounds right Joe

Edited by JThompson