Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Shopping for a new range bag

Tokarev

I've been using a "brand-X" range bag for a couple years now and have decided to upgrade to a better quality bag. I'm looking for something that'll handle some serious weight without coming apart, has good solid zippers and is made from quality materials. Logical locations for the compartments and pouches would be a plus too. A removable stage bag is no big deal since I rarely use the one I've got now. Whichever bag I get will also double as a carry-on so the 5-gallon bucket idea is out! :lol:

I've narrowed my search down to either CED or Shooter's Connection. The CED bag is about half the price of the SC bag and I really wonder what makes the SC bag worth the price. The SC bag is a little bigger but both seem to be made from similar components (reading the specs) and list very similar features. Anybody got any experience with both bags? Where are the two bags made? I assume the CED bag is imported and the SC bag is US?

Thanks!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Take a look at the I-SHOT line of bags, very good quality and in between the size of a CED and SC bag. I've owned an I-SHOT, CED and a SC bag. I actually like the CED bag best for a single gun set up. The CED is actually about half the size of SC. I used the SC for years when I was carrying gear and ammo for my wife and myself. We have seperate CED bags we use now since she no longer competes as much as I do. To me the smaller bag leaves less room for clutter. I liked the I-SHOT bag but it seemed a little much for a single gun set up so I gave it to a friend. I actually have a brand new SC bag I got off a prize table and just can't bring myself to use it due to the size. All 3 are great choices and each company is great to deal with. It just depends on how much stuff you want to cram into it. Remember the more room you have, the more you put in it, the heavier it gets.

So many people i shoot with use the CED bag that you end up putting your stuff in someone elses bag because they only have so many colors and you end up mixing up bags. :blink: If you only have one gun use the CED, if you have multiple guns use the SC bag. Both are quality bags with good stiching and zippers and will hold up under the riggors of inclement weather. i have loaded 500 rounds in my CED bag a fair number of times and it hasn't ever popped a stich one. You just have to decide how much you want to carry and then make your choice.

Take a look at the I-SHOT line of bags, very good quality and in between the size of a CED and SC bag. I've owned an I-SHOT, CED and a SC bag.

I talked to MLE Shooting Sports and he has nothing in stock in the way of large i-shot bags. He tells me that i-shot has had some serious supply problems over the last few months.

The good news is that i-shot has a brand new bag in the works that should be out after the new year.

I have both and can't say enough good things about them. When my sons were starting I would carry mine and all their stuff in a SC bag to local matches (600 rounds, 3 guns & lots of mags) until my shoulder told me to get something with wheels. That's when I switched to the rolling toolbox. However, the SC bag took one year of pounding and it is still like new. You can carry A LOT OF STUFF in that bag. I find it a littel too big for carry-on, although it fits with no problem in the overhead bin.

Now the kids want to keep their stuff separate in their individual bags, so they are using their CED. The CED is smaller, about the same size as the Dillon, but it fits anything you may need for match day. No inner/stage bag but it comes with a zippered rectangular pistol pouch. It is as tough as the SC bag and for air travel I like the main opening zipper that you can lock. When I travel I take one of the CEDs.

Hope this helps.

I'm going to upgrade my CED to a SC soon.

I can't get enough stuff in the CED to use on L3's. I always end up with a plastic bag or two on the side for extra food, water and clothing.

The CED is big enough for one gun - period.

ps. This is my personal opinion, and I might be carrying around too much stuff. Take it FWIW.

Doesn't CED make the Shooters Connection bag? I'm thinking the quality is high in both.

Is this right? That would explain why both bags are available in the same colors.

Is there not a decent range bag made in the US? Maybe I'll see what Eagle Industries has to offer.

Take a look at the I-SHOT line of bags, very good quality and in between the size of a CED and SC bag. I've owned an I-SHOT, CED and a SC bag.

I talked to MLE Shooting Sports and he has nothing in stock in the way of large i-shot bags. He tells me that i-shot has had some serious supply problems over the last few months.

The good news is that i-shot has a brand new bag in the works that should be out after the new year.

I was talking to one of the owners of I-Shot, and it appears that he's getting more into Military Supply.

They stuff is made offshore now.

the next bag i purchase will be a CED. Don't get me wrong I love my shooters connection bag, but sometimes i find it a bit on the large side.

+1

My SC is great. The quality is excellent (made overseas I believe). Chuck is a pleasure to deal with.

But the bag is too hefty for the times I simply want to go to the range and shoot.

Doesn't CED make the Shooters Connection bag? I'm thinking the quality is high in both.

Since both these bags are made by CED, how do they differ? Is there a difference other than the removable stage bag in the SC? The CED bag is about half the price of the Shooter's Connection so I could, in theory, get one bag for Limited and one bag for Single Stack.

Since both these bags are made by CED, how do they differ? Is there a difference other than the removable stage bag in the SC? The CED bag is about half the price of the Shooter's Connection so I could, in theory, get one bag for Limited and one bag for Single Stack.

The CED is probably 75-80% the size of the SC and has less outside pockets. Tonight I'll take side-by-side pictures and post them here for you.

The CED is probably 75-80% the size of the SC and has less outside pockets. Tonight I'll take side-by-side pictures and post them here for you.

If you can, please try to get some shots of the internal area. Thanks!

I thought I responded to this last night, but it got lost.

I got the Midway USA bag. It is about as big as any bag you would want to carry, and is on sale now for $39.99. It has all the pockets and mag pouches that you would want, brass bag, and a removable center ammo carrier (I think they make those for shotgun shells.

I like mine (though I tend to over load it and break my shoulder). I am thinking of buying another, at this great price) for all that stuff you want to take to the range JUST IN CASE (spare gun, parts, tools, ammo, rain/weather gear) but do not want to schlep from stage to stage but want in the truck.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

Mark

This one by 5.11 will put you in between the CED and Tournament Series bag in price, and is a couple inches bigger than the Tournament Series bag. I bought the Tournament bag a couple of years ago and love it. Well worth they expense. BTW- I think Chuck has a sale on them?!

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tarabag.html

I thought I responded to this last night, but it got lost.

I got the Midway USA bag. It is about as big as any bag you would want to carry, and is on sale now for $39.99. It has all the pockets and mag pouches that you would want, brass bag, and a removable center ammo carrier (I think they make those for shotgun shells.

I like mine (though I tend to over load it and break my shoulder). I am thinking of buying another, at this great price) for all that stuff you want to take to the range JUST IN CASE (spare gun, parts, tools, ammo, rain/weather gear) but do not want to schlep from stage to stage but want in the truck.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...&t=11082005

Mark

Heck, this is probably made by whoever makes nylon gear for TAC Force, Condor, Blackhawk, CED, Shooter's Connection and everybody else selling imported range bags...

Is this right? That would explain why both bags are available in the same colors.

Is there not a decent range bag made in the US? Maybe I'll see what Eagle Industries has to offer.

Bagmaster. Made in the good ole US of A.

I've never owned a Bagmaster bag but I've heard that their stitching isn't very durable.

I've had a Bagmaster bag (specifically the Pro-Shooter's Bag, Tournament Model 1) since 1999. No stitching has pulled loose. For the last five years it has served as my timer bag for the club match I run. I wouldn't recommend that particular model for USPSA -- I think it's too deep and too narrow -- but I have no complaints about the quality.

I would heartily recommend Shooter's Connection and also Green Mountain.

I have a SC bag, no complaints other than the snap hook for the shoulder strap broke. ( I tended at the time to way overload the bag.)

I have many friends with the Green Mountain bags. THey have a couple really nice features. They have a tool rack built into the top that allows you to carry all the little stuff, li=ke allen keys, screw drivers, mag brushes and the like all easily accessible.

You won't go wrong with either. I have lately seen a lot of the Midway bags around. THey look a lot like Chuck's. Are they the same? I don't know. If they are a copy, then Midway is sort of ripping Chuck off and Chuck has always supported the sport. I am not sure I see a lot on the prize table from Midway. and I don't think Ive seen their name on a stage.

Jim