Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Which Magwell Should I Buy?

PistolPete

Or if $$$ is an issue Wilson combat sells a stand alone unit for about $25 that works pretty well.

One advantage to this approach is, you can change mainspring housing independantly, most

other units require changing housing and well as a unit. This can get expensive if you decide

to try several different MS housing types before you find one that really fits your hand.

You have to do a minor alteration to grip panels to use, not a big deal.

Just my .02 for thrifty spending.

Travis F.

Well I just ordered the STI stainless steel magwell from STI. I figured this was the way to go since Matt Burkett is sponsored by them and he is using much of their products. This leaves me to believe they have good products. Maybe I am wrong with this assumption but I believe I made a good decision.

Pete :ph34r:

• 9 months later...

Since when does STI make a single-stack magwell?

At any rate, I say Briley or Heinie. I have a Briley and wouldn't trade it for anything. Actually I'm not sure who really makes it, as Briley, EGW, John Jardine, and Paul Liebenberg all sell it (or very close copies) as their own.

I just added a Smith & Alexander magwell to my Les Baer and Love it. The nice thing about his are they are not ment for carry and are one piece. Another thing is the back strap checkering continue all the way to the bottom giving you an extra 1/4"- for your palm to grip. Give Allen a call and he will get you going in the right direction. Nice guy, he likes to talk, so make sure you have 45min. or so.

• 3 years later...
I just added a Smith & Alexander magwell to my Les Baer and Love it. The nice thing about his are they are not ment for carry and are one piece. Another thing is the back strap checkering continue all the way to the bottom giving you an extra 1/4"- for your palm to grip. Give Allen a call and he will get you going in the right direction. Nice guy, he likes to talk, so make sure you have 45min. or so.

Stirring up a very old post here. I'm looking for a Smith & Alexander magwell for my .45 and trying to find it for the best price. I see Brownells has them and you can get them from S&A's website. Any other places for a cheaper price?

you also might wanna tell us your plans for the gun. Different magwells for different uses.

Just using it for competitions and general fun. I don't carry this one.

Who sells techwell? I like the pics I've found of them so far. I like it being a separate part from the mainspring housing. Would I be able to add a rubber finger grip that slides under the grips with the techwell?

Edited by pidaster

The one I want can be seen HERE on one of Merlin's guns.

That is the SV Single Stack Magwell and it appears to be the black aluminum version.

If this is for Single Stack you will need to be very aware of the total weight of the gun once you start looking at the stainless steel or blued steel SV wells and mainspring housings. I jumped the gun a little bit when I was setting up a 1911 Wilson setup for single stack and ended up with a 45oz gun(with the emtpy mag) after I put on the stainless SV well. Single Stack now allows 43 oz. I actually have all three varieties of the SV wells and I've weighed the stainless vs the aluminum setups and I am going to try to get my single stack setups fully legal.

I ended up liking the SV well more for the feel of the grip than the actual mouth opening reload advantage. The angle of the Wilson Speed Chute actually seemed to feed a little more smoothly assuming I could get the mag reasonably close to the mouth. But, I did not do any work with the SV well to get is as flush with the frame like the Wilson is.

Edited by WickedBag