Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Foul Weather Shooters

JaredB

I enjoy shooting in about any foul weather, except for when it is a heavy downpour. At our club's match last weekend, I don't think that it was 10 above when we started shooting. We also have a match on January 1st that is sure to be fun. Last year, we had an ice storm on New Years Eve that made conditions interesting for the match.

I was not at this match. But I have to give some credit to those who put on this match in such conditions and to those who participated.

This photo came from my local clubs website.

http://www.gunsafety.org/

Hey!!! That kind of looks like the last three stages of the Western States Single Stack Match last year!

Is Steve visiting Washington?

That looks like our winter season, between October and March, but this winter we don't have any snow yet.

It rains and the outside temperature is a couple of degrees above freezing point, that is no shooting weather, belive me :mellow:

These conditions can be a test of the shooters' skill and motivation, as well as their equipment and general preparedness.

I shot a local match yesterday with beautiful weather in NE Kansas, windy, damp, high in mid 20's, snow on the ground and threat of freezing rain all day long. Got some remiders about shooting in cold weather...

1. Clean the gun of any heavy grease and the grunge built up in it before the match.

2. Wear enough clothes -- Remember heavy gloves while you are not shooting. Shiverring does not contribute to your accuracy.

3. Manipulating guns -- even with light weight glove liners, it requires techniques with more overt - gross motor skills -- i.e., if the gun locks back, sling-shot the slide cloesd after insertion of a fresh magazine.

4. Clean the gun once you get home...

No pictures but still was fun.

Here it is, the second weekend of December, and it was over 80 degrees and sprinkling rain at our match yesterday.

Sure would like to see just a little cold weather.

dj

Be careful what you wish for because Mr. Murphy & Mother Nature might give you more than you want.

Here it is, the second weekend of December, and it was over 80 degrees and sprinkling rain at our match yesterday.

Sure would like to see just a little cold weather.

dj

Be careful what you wish for because Mr. Murphy & Mother Nature might give you more than you want.

Yeah, you're probably right. I'll be freezin' my Royal Nastifarian NeyNeys off :surprise:

dj

Look what happened to the Kitsap range 2 days after it snowed!

Holy crap I haven't been up there for a while but the dirt work really seemed to be working. I guess 5" of rain in a day could screw up anybodies drainage system. I hope none of their equiptment was ruined.