Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tuned Mags?

TruStreet

I know that for most of us; tuned mags are a must if we want reliable

feeding in the S_I type platforms with 9mm major. I also know that a lot of praise has been given

to the new HSmith tuned mags. I have a few questions for those of you

that have use both his STI & SVI tuned mags. Are the STI the way to go or should

I pony up & go with the SVI tuned mags from HSmith? What warranties or guarantees

do you get?

TIA

Manny

feeding in the S_I type platforms with 9mm major. I also know that a lot of praise has been given

that have use both his STI & SVI tuned mags. Are the STI the way to go or should

I pony up & go with the SVI tuned mags from HSmith? What warranties or guarantees

do you get?

TIA

Manny

Hey just PM Howard.

I hear that SVI mags are near impossible to get. and i think that he only does the STI mags as of right now. I just bought 5 .40 S&W tuned mags from him and am pleased so far.

He is very information and easy to talk to. After 2-3 days of talking to him over BE he gave me very useful information for my future purchases of gun parts and mags.

Howard is working on some SV tubes for me in 9 too. SSI had them in stock the last I checked

SVRM38140 SVI Replacement Mag 38/9mm 140MM Special - $59.95

SVRM40 SVI Replacement Mag Tube 40 SW Out of Stock

SVRM45C SVI Replacement Mag Tube 45 Out of Stock

SVRM40140 SVI Replacment Mag Tube 140MM 40 S&W Special - $59.95

SVRM40170 SVI Replacment Mag Tube 170mm 40 S&W Out of Stock

SVRM45170 SVI Replacment Mag Tube 170MM 45acp Out of Stock

SVRM38170 SVI Replacment Mag Tube 17OMM 38/9MM Special - $95.95

SVRM38C SVI Replacment Mag Tube Carry 38/9MM Out of Stock

SVRM38 SVI Replacment Mag Tube Standard 38/9MM Out of Stock

SVRM45 SVI Replacment Mag. Tube - 45 ACP Out of Stock

SVRM45140 SVI Replacment Mag.Tube-140mm-45 ACP Out of Stock

SVRM40C SVI Replacment Tube Carry 40 SW Special - $59.95

TFFSK Tanfoglio / EAA Teflon Follower & Spring Kit $16.00

Edited by AWLAZS

• 2 weeks later...

I gave a set of tuned STI mags a shot in my open gun (Millenium Custom in 9mm) and had horrific results, I really made a mistake in the STI tube based mags, I am not sure about other calibers, but with 9mm the STI tubes are a nightmare.

I had borrowed an SV big stick and 3x 140mm SV tube mags and never had a single hiccup, spend large amounts of cash to obtain what I thought was an answer to a problem, but it turned out to be the worst purchase I ever made.

I bought myself a new SV 170mm tube, trimmed a new grams 9mm follower & 13 coil grams spring, stuck a Dawson +1 base pad on it and zoom, off she runs, I got a hold of 4x SV 140mm tubes, did the same and again not a burp.

Steer clear of STI mag's for 9mm open guns, especially the big stick. SVI is the only way to go, spent the extra cash up front and save yourself major heartache.

I bought myself a new SV 170mm tube, trimmed a new grams 9mm follower & 13 coil grams spring, stuck a Dawson +1 base pad on it and zoom, off she runs, I got a hold of 4x SV 140mm tubes, did the same and again not a burp.

Steer clear of STI mag's for 9mm open guns, especially the big stick. SVI is the only way to go, spent the extra cash up front and save yourself major heartache.

Thanks, thats the kind of input I was looking for!

I gave a set of tuned STI mags a shot in my open gun (Millenium Custom in 9mm) and had horrific results, I really made a mistake in the STI tube based mags, I am not sure about other calibers, but with 9mm the STI tubes are a nightmare.

I had borrowed an SV big stick and 3x 140mm SV tube mags and never had a single hiccup, spend large amounts of cash to obtain what I thought was an answer to a problem, but it turned out to be the worst purchase I ever made.

sorry to hear about that...i also have Dereks 9mm open gun i use SV mags but i also had the pleasure of using some of JL hardys mags and some of Howards tuned mags all ran very good...the only hiccup i had was ammo related (didnt case gauge)

do you get?

TIA

Manny

STI mags will work in 9 Major as long as they are setup right. I ran a GRAMS tuned 170 for a year and never a problem and I got 29 rounds in the mag.

IF you run STI mags, you MUST run spacers and they need to be tuned and you must load shorter than 1.175.

I bought 4 new SVI 140s and put Grams 38S followers, 11 coil, Dawson +2 bases and can load 24 (but don't often) and they have run 100% without tuning.

I bought a new SVI 170 and had HSMITH tune it because it puked once with 29 shoved in it. (HSMITH is fast and well priced for the work)

IMHO, SVI is the way to go and cheaper in the long run. Call SVI and get on the list if you want the best mags.

The STI mag's I bought from H Smith did not have spacers in them, I was talked into the fact that they would run without them after tuning, I load at 1.150" AOL, but still had major feed problems with them (The big stick never fed one round inot my gun (MC) every round node dived, but they would in a Hardy built gun? Maybe the ramping is different?).

I bought a stock SVI tube and built a big stick same as you did and so far not a hiccup. I then traded the H Smith set of 4 for 3 old SVI 140mm mags that do run.

I did not get the same service out of H Smith as you did, in fact it turned into a real nightmare, everyone else on here seems to of had good luck with him, but not me. Enough said on that front.

SVI tubes are the only way to go, it would seem the problems (what ever they are with the STI's?) dissapear. Good luck and good shooting

SVI tubes are the only way to go, it would seem the problems (what ever they are with the STI's?) dissapear. Good luck and good shooting

The problem is in the design of the feed lips on the STI mags. Someone on a previous post explained the exact technical issue, hence the spacers needed to push the 9 rounds closer to the front of the mag.

Good shooting also!

I got to really looking at one the other day and I total agree with you about the double ribs on the SIT's, especially when using a Grams follwer, as the double ribs make the follow sit at a nose down attitude when it has ammo on top of it, it sits nose up in the SV tube???

Go figure!

the problem with the Sti mags is that it has two "rail" down the side to space the rounds, where the SV ones has the whole side pressed in for spacing.

That makes it possible for the Sti rounds not to stack properly with short ammo.

SV tubes are definitely the way to go, even for 38super. In my experience, you will have less trouble with them overall. Do a search here and read similiar opinions to mine. I run 38supercomp only and had problems with the followers jamming in the bottoms of STI tubes until I switched to SV tubes.

Not only that the finish. Just got some SV tubes to try to start running, and wow the difference is amazing. Add on with a +1 I am getting 22 with room almost for 23 compared to just room for 22 with the +2 dawsons on my STI tubes.